Soleil Royal 1671 modified Heller kit

As for the Wasa, the story is that the kingdom didn't want to waste its gold for shipp decoration since it was in limted supply; and as you mentioned, they did use a quite colorfull pallet of basic colors to create contrast and richness; some of those pigments were found still on the original vessel at the museum...So on that, yes it is true and confirmed...

Good day:) So....Here is ''frankenstein'' before base paint......You'll notice I brought the bottom strakes up about 1/8th of an inch, which is the farthest It would make sense if the whole symmetry is to stay and bring at least the top strake over the rear gunports in a projection, which is how the ship would have been built. But bringing the second one forced an angle too steep and destroyed the symmetry unless all of them were to be modified, and then the gallery wouldn't fit right anymore. This is the result of a lot of scraping, digging and scuffing the plastic, (and my fingers!) and making some planking grooves which are hard to see on the pics.
The first pic is before the rear side gallery, the second is with...It isn't permanently installed, but just there to give a better idea....
I did replace the molding above the top gunports with a decorated one, because I believe that, just like the Royal Lous it had at least one at that level; but putting another one didn't fit the whole scheme. put a pic of the molding up close for the design.....And that's only one side done......Fortunately, a lot of the surgery work is done on the other side....
Waiting for comments:)

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

Your modifications are very well done, Guy. It is interesting to me that you have chosen to glue-in the upper bulwarks before assembling the hull halves. I can see that this makes for an easier and continuous application of the new decorative strake above the main deck guns. Will you be making transitional ornaments for each successive step in the sheer railings?

Your modifications are very well done, Guy. It is interesting to me that you have chosen to glue-in the upper bulwarks before assembling the hull halves. I can see that this makes for an easier and continuous application of the new decorative strake above the main deck guns. Will you be making transitional ornaments for each successive step in the sheer railings?
Hmm....I'm sorry I don't get what you're suggesting....

I decided to get all of the side together for two reasons first is that the vertical boat slides were giving me issues to make a clean straight cut at the level; second reason is it was easier to align with the natural curve of the hull and the horizontal molding is metal and doesn't necessarily want to behave in a fluid gentle curve once cut.....
As for any more decor, I remember Dasia's comment about the more subdued and better taste decoration of the ship compared to previous ones.....And from there, interpretation is the essence :))))

Oh, you mean the rail ends....I found something, which maybe not the ultimate, and you've probably seen them on other ships....
Unfortunately I can't fabricate the ultimate rail ends like yours since I don't have that kind of talent:)))

IMG_4876.JPG

Well, they're not high definition of what you did, and I think they are similar to the ones found on one of the wooden Soleil Royal ship kits...
But it will have to do, unless I can find something that would be more appropriat to the general theme of the decoration....They do complement the strake molding though:)

So, today I show you Frankenstein with make-up:)
Those are base flat colors only and are darker than the finished product will look like; the idea here is to try to get some shading inthe small hidden areas and some depth on the the different surfaces, at least I hope:)....As well it will allow for thinner coats and more control than directly on the plastic, which I had bad experiences with the coverage.....I don't work with air brush as I wouldn't be experienced enough to use it correctly. Therefore regular paint brush it is:)) beside one side gallery, it has been 35 years:)))
I also mixed the colors I will be using; there are 6 mixes and three straight ones....
Old white, Cyan blue, azurite blue, ocre red, ''ventre de biche'' or beigereworked, yellow gold, and the regular black, gold and tan; all are flat finish colors....

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4881.JPG

Oh, I forgot... The bright white patch at the rear is fluorescent paint, the backside also has it; when assembled I hope it will give some sort of glow through the windows to give a low light effect....I hope:)))

It is something I'm trying; it will probably take forever to achieve the desired look though:))))))

Back