Soleil Royal 1671 modified Heller kit

You mean the one in 1693? all that is known is that it also carried Berain's rear stern, and perhaps modified galleries; so it may have had some blue into the decor...
But the Heller ship represents the Tanneron with some decor interpretation on the sides. You have to remember that the Tanneron model's hull is based on the 1693 Soleil Royal's hull having the same dimensions; however those dimensions are limited to the three main batteries....
So, if you can read french, I can send you the document which will answer many of your questions and give you a setting of what was done in that period...

Also the model has issues for both versions of the ship, some things correspond more to the 1st SR while other more to the 2nd

Yes, and some are not from either versions of the ship:))) merely interpretations to ''complete'' the look of the kit....

So, on this log I am in the very early process of modifying and building the ship as close as possible to what it would have looked like in the spring of 1671 when the ship was to make its maiden voyage along with 4 others for the king's visit at the new Rochefort shipyard, which he cancelled, but the ships went out anyway....
The document below describes what would have been the history of the Soleil Royal and the other royal ships of that period. As well, I'm trying to reproduce the ship from a plastic Heller 1/100 kit ( 1/95 makes more sense) by modifying all the details of the decorations on the sides, the correction of the number of cannons and some structural compartments on the different decks; I am not an expert at this, so please remember when you comment on the work:)
The basis of the design on the stern and side galeries is from Tanneron's Soleil Royal, so they have been opened up and the interior of the galeries decorated; I have not used a wood kit because the decoration work would have been much too extensive and I do not have the abilities that some who are building ships on this site have. If you have questions on the why there are differences with my build versus others, I sugest you first read the documnt below ( if you can read french of course)
because it will answer a lot of your inquiries. If you do not read French, ask me your questions and I will answer them in accordance with what is written on that document, which also reflects my view of course:)

From the first pic, one can see major decor changes, I still need to scrape off the original decor between the upper portholes, I don't believe there was any of this type since that is a symbol that appears on ships near the end of the century; the refit version of the Soleil Royal had them, but not at that location. it will be replaced with the decors on the images at the end. There can be a lot of flexibility with the side decoration since there is nothing as far as information on the ships of the mid-century except for what seems to be a generalization of the fleur de lys design on the upper part, which was found on the Royal Louis, the Royal Duc ( Reyne) and on the Royal Dauphin. The figurehead is what I found on the net, what used to be a mairmais which I scaled down a bit and reworked the arms....It isn't finished as you can tell:))) The work is still VERY rough, but I wanted to make all the modifications before finishing the surfaces...

View attachment 301526

View attachment 301527

View attachment 301528

View attachment 301529

View attachment 301530

View attachment 301531

View attachment 301532

View attachment 301533

View attachment 301534

View attachment 301535
Hallo @GuyM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi Bill; the heller Soleil Royal is a representation of the Tanneron Soleil Royal, which itself is an interpretation of the first 1671 ship; so the Heller paint scheme is totally wrong and would be closer to a 1690 second marine ship; The stern is from the first 1671 Soleil Royal, the hull would have been from the 1693 Soleil Royal, and the bow would have been an interpretation of the decor of the 1671 ship, the structural layout woud have been from a 1690 ship,. I make a note here that the figurehead is from the rebuilt version, the first would have been a mermaid with one arm stretched holding a ball, an interpretation of either the sun, or earth, with a crown on top; the other arm would have been held close to her body holding some sort of scepter...It was scantly dressed and received many rebukes from ship captains and officers because it would distract the men on board too much; The color information of the rebuilt version would have been the three deck planking levels in occre yellow, the forecastle and quarterdeck and above light greyish blue, and the stern having a mix of occre red and greyish light blue as I show on the two last previous pics...
I hope this helps:)

So, on this log I am in the very early process of modifying and building the ship as close as possible to what it would have looked like in the spring of 1671 when the ship was to make its maiden voyage along with 4 others for the king's visit at the new Rochefort shipyard, which he cancelled, but the ships went out anyway....
The document below describes what would have been the history of the Soleil Royal and the other royal ships of that period. As well, I'm trying to reproduce the ship from a plastic Heller 1/100 kit ( 1/95 makes more sense) by modifying all the details of the decorations on the sides, the correction of the number of cannons and some structural compartments on the different decks; I am not an expert at this, so please remember when you comment on the work:)
The basis of the design on the stern and side galeries is from Tanneron's Soleil Royal, so they have been opened up and the interior of the galeries decorated; I have not used a wood kit because the decoration work would have been much too extensive and I do not have the abilities that some who are building ships on this site have. If you have questions on the why there are differences with my build versus others, I sugest you first read the documnt below ( if you can read french of course)
because it will answer a lot of your inquiries. If you do not read French, ask me your questions and I will answer them in accordance with what is written on that document, which also reflects my view of course:)

From the first pic, one can see major decor changes, I still need to scrape off the original decor between the upper portholes, I don't believe there was any of this type since that is a symbol that appears on ships near the end of the century; the refit version of the Soleil Royal had them, but not at that location. it will be replaced with the decors on the images at the end. There can be a lot of flexibility with the side decoration since there is nothing as far as information on the ships of the mid-century except for what seems to be a generalization of the fleur de lys design on the upper part, which was found on the Royal Louis, the Royal Duc ( Reyne) and on the Royal Dauphin. The figurehead is what I found on the net, what used to be a mairmais which I scaled down a bit and reworked the arms....It isn't finished as you can tell:))) The work is still VERY rough, but I wanted to make all the modifications before finishing the surfaces...

View attachment 301526

View attachment 301527

View attachment 301528

View attachment 301529

View attachment 301530

View attachment 301531

View attachment 301532

View attachment 301533

View attachment 301534

View attachment 301535
Again, amazing work!

Bill

Thank you:) I was wondering whether you had any questions relating to the ship's story and the different changes throughout its life......Or if you managed to understand the document since it is in french:) Also I have an update on that document ( new version) with new information about the stern of the 1692 Royal Louis which has been quite elusive.......

Again, amazing work!

Bill
Oops, I replied on my page:))))So, to repeat, thank you ) I was wondering whether you had any questions relating to the ship's story and the different changes throughout its life... Or if you managed to understand the document since it is in french:) Also, i have an update on that document (new version) with new information about the stern of the 1692 Royal Louis which has been quite elusive....

Good day:) So....Here is ''frankenstein'' before base paint......You'll notice I brought the bottom strakes up about 1/8th of an inch, which is the farthest It would make sense if the whole symmetry is to stay and bring at least the top strake over the rear gunports in a projection, which is how the ship would have been built. But bringing the second one forced an angle too steep and destroyed the symmetry unless all of them were to be modified, and then the gallery wouldn't fit right anymore. This is the result of a lot of scraping, digging and scuffing the plastic, (and my fingers!) and making some planking grooves which are hard to see on the pics.
The first pic is before the rear side gallery, the second is with...It isn't permanently installed, but just there to give a better idea....
I did replace the molding above the top gunports with a decorated one, because I believe that, just like the Royal Lous it had at least one at that level; but putting another one didn't fit the whole scheme. put a pic of the molding up close for the design.....And that's only one side done......Fortunately, a lot of the surgery work is done on the other side....
Waiting for comments:)

View attachment 308067

View attachment 308068

View attachment 308069
I am very curious. How did you create the Fleur d' Lis?

Bill

I had a friend who's an artist at creating resin decors:) so he did them for me..
But you can buy some in photoetch material at Modeler Central in Australia; they have everything for decorations there; all you need to check is the size of what you want; as for the second battery emblems, Zuchnik ( I think I have spelled it right) can make them for you, but it gets expensive ......Not because he is expensive, but the work and material for only a few makes it expensive; the designs are from the St-Philippe monography; I used only 6 of them and repeated the pattern, also using one of the ones I carved out of the extra side gallery symbols I had.
If you want those designs to ask to be made, I can send them to you; then ask Zuchnik(?) if he can make them for you....

I had a friend who's an artist at creating resin decors:) so he did them for me..
But you can buy some in photoetch material at Modeler Central in Australia; they have everything for decorations there; all you need to check is the size of what you want; as for the second battery emblems, Zuchnik ( I think I have spelled it right) can make them for you, but it gets expensive ......Not because he is expensive, but the work and material for only a few makes it expensive; the designs are from the St-Philippe monography; I used only 6 of them and repeated the pattern, also using one of the ones I carved out of the extra side gallery symbols I had.
If you want those designs to ask to be made, I can send them to you; then ask Zuchnik(?) if he can make them for you....
Thank you for your quick response! I will certainly check online. Also, please send what you can. I really appreciate it.

Bill

This last onw is too big with those measurements; I substituted it with one carved out from the etra bottle and will use this as a front of the ship symbol; remember, there are only six ( because of the cost of making 12 of them) so you need to have 4 of each symbols; 2 for the repetition on each side...

Back