Soleil Royal - Heller 1/100 Back to work!

Working plastic as I do is one thing, carving plastic like Marc do is a totally different thing! Marc’s carving work on his SR is just amazing!!
Exactly.. Marc make something amazing with his SR. I can not imagine how big model can be that wrong.. btw im not sure i will see something wrong with model if not here check in forum.

Exactly.. Marc make something amazing with his SR. I can not imagine how big model can be that wrong.. btw im not sure i will see something wrong with model if not here check in forum.

I cannot say that Heller SR is “wrong”, it is just 100% based on Tanneron incomplete 1/24 SR model that is exposed at Paris.

And if this particular model made in the 1830’s have anything to do with the real SR!? Well, nobody knows for sure, but probably not…

Marc’s SR, should be very close to the first SR.

The real problem with Heller SR is everything but the hull… because here, Heller had to create an idea, and there are many things that are unacceptable to create a decent “scale model”. But even so, if done straight from the box is still a very beautiful kit, although not an accurate scale model… is this important to all the people? NO! That’s why it is still a great kit just by itself.

I rather prefer to make a more accurate scale model, even if it is pretty far way from the real SR, but it could be the Froudoyant…

I cannot say that Heller SR is “wrong”, it is just 100% based on Tanneron incomplete 1/24 SR model that is exposed at Paris.

And if this particular model made in the 1830’s have anything to do with the real SR!? Well, nobody knows for sure, but probably not…

Marc’s SR, should be very close to the first SR.

The real problem with Heller SR is everything but the hull… because here, Heller had to create an idea, and there are many things that are unacceptable to create a decent “scale model”. But even so, if done straight from the box is still a very beautiful kit, although not an accurate scale model… is this important to all the people? NO! That’s why it is still a great kit just by itself.

I rather prefer to make a more accurate scale model, even if it is pretty far way from the real SR, but it could be the Froudoyant…
Well said.. like i tell before in this forum.. not many books and info is about real SR.. Anatomy of the ship with SR will be good for people like me. But also im not mean will help make real SR. Just i love plans n many photos with make model kit. How you said.. important is get sens of how ship workin for make him great model. With my Beagle from Revell is everything wrong. And i know that just is my first "bigger" model of first ship what i make after 15 yrs of modeling planes. And i try make nice model how ever i wrong with many things coz not everything can make well with scale. Subject with colors in ship is second subject with sitting and talk about it drinkin coffee/rum or tea.
Vasa, SR and others.. reddish or blue hull... will see how ours friend make amazing ship with great technic tips n trics.
And im sorry for my english, is not well and my toughts to much colorful for my language.

Very good work.

The problem here is to paint the masts to ressemble wood. How are you going to do that?

Cumprimentos

JL

Thanks!

The bowsprit, fore mast and main mast were painted, according to my knowledge! The other ones I will paint them with oils and the the sponge technique, something like these “wooden” props:

91563D1C-14B1-42B5-8EE9-D3DC01852A42.jpeg

I’m still working in the “wood” tones, lighter, darker, matt, semi-gloss…

OK, Thanks. Good job with the props. I didn't know that the masts were painted, always thought they were natural wood. But that depend on the ship, of course. I don't know much about the French Navy of the XVII century, namely about the SR.

Cumps.

JL

Thanks!

The bowsprit, fore mast and main mast were painted, according to my knowledge! The other ones I will paint them with oils and the the sponge technique, something like these “wooden” props:

View attachment 265720

I’m still working in the “wood” tones, lighter, darker, matt, semi-gloss…

This is interesting - can you detail this sponge technique a little? What sort of sponge do you use, in particular?

Thank you, guys, for the nice words about my project. Just in the past few days, I've been corresponding with my Canadian friend, Guy Maher. He has assembled what is definitively the most comprehensive research on Soleil Royal1 as she may have been. He is on revision 3, and he has made some notable additions and clarifications. This is a 100-page document. If anyone is interested in reading it, PM me and I will forward it to you. As with what I am doing, portions of the work are conjectural, but they remain highly educated guesses at that!

I just have to post these incredible products from Korabela in Russia.

These are absolutely the best wooden blocks that I ever seen! And they start at 2 mm…

See for yourself:

58C1D2D9-2E92-419B-93B4-2D3CE06567C1.jpegA5DDBD90-8948-4023-80A5-AB80D9294441.jpeg95B5549B-4AA4-4E4A-A1CD-00B71C8B7463.jpeg84DC61A1-8F1C-4E88-873F-695720D5D3F6.jpeg0978ED78-BEEB-4104-B1E9-D1FE5E37D429.jpeg

I really appreciated doing business with this company, lovely and fast communication, very good service overall.

I can’t even imagine how they do it!!… the 2 mm blocks are just unbelievable.

This company was suggested to me by Kirill4 here in the forum, and I can only recommend it to everyone who is looking for quality blocks.

Great stuff!

The bowsprit top keeps going, this was the time to make the spritmast shrouds deadeyes. According to my references these should have a diameter just under 2mm at 1/100th scale, some references, namely L’Ambitieux sets these deadeyes having 188 mm diameter in real life, so just bellow 2mm in SR case should be just about right.

I couldn’t find any deadeyes bellow 2mm anywhere in the market, so I decided to scratch built it from plastic card. The strops were made by cooper wire of 0,3mm.

This is the result:

A9A3CFD7-0B3D-4C55-829E-340387D1E92E.jpeg
97D47ACE-FB4A-4973-83C1-E6499FA9AAA3.jpeg7D323A2A-4135-47BD-9763-B8E872D135B9.jpeg

#Looks nice!these strops, even without soldering... but wire could be first cutted , rounded as needed /or rounded and cutted and soldering, than deadeye fitted in?
#painting...in add. to " sponge" technique...
You could try to use thin metal brush when applying final coat of paint/stains for wood structure imitation... ? it works pretty good for making these" wooden grains" on plastic...I used acrylics all the time...they drying fast, very handy...
post 378 and a few above

Last edited:
Back