Soleil Royal - Heller 1/100 Back to work!

Thank you for attaching a name to this brilliant model of a 74, Dfolgado.

I’ve done an image search and found the following:

86ED011C-EE4E-4CB7-B6BA-2E8F8C977D7F.jpeg

This is a particularly fascinating and, in my opinion, successful open framing. I am constantly turning over, in my mind, my eventual Soleil Royal 1670 project, and I think this would be an ideal way to show the whole inner structure. Thanks for this gem!

Looking very good - a very good adjustment to the original parts and I guess also much more stiff for better and easier work with the standing rigging
Question to the first photo:
It is looking like, that the angle of the bowsprit is too steep - it is just a feeling....

Looking very good - a very good adjustment to the original parts and I guess also much more stiff for better and easier work with the standing rigging
Question to the first photo:
It is looking like, that the angle of the bowsprit is too steep - it is just a feeling....
The rigidity of metal hopefully will make the rigging task easier, at least I hope it does!

I based the angle of the bowsprit mast with the Saint Philippe, and when you look at it with the head rail rosetes installed, I guess it looks more or less ok…

EFC9BBCF-C24D-44AB-BF37-966697B5EEEE.jpeg

That all makes sense. Will you make an extension for the upper knee that rises to support the spritmast - ultimately hidden behind the rosettes?
I thought about that already, but I cannot see it both in Saint-Philippe or L’Ambitieux… do you have any reference photo, that shows it?

You think the bowsprit mast was supported in two places, in the bow near the breakhead and also in between the rosetes?

I thought about that already, but I cannot see it both in Saint-Philippe or L’Ambitieux… do you have any reference photo, that shows it?

You think the bowsprit mast was supported in two places, in the bow near the breakhead and also in between the rosetes?
From technical point of view it is making sense, that the bowsprit is laying also on the knee - othervise it would haven taken a very high bending moment.
f.e. take a look at the Saint Philippe monograph

5.JPG

Now that you mention it, I cannot find any such photographic evidence. At best, there is the suggestion that the upper knee mirrors the shape of the forward rosettes, and that these headrail rosettes fair into the upper knee, which just kisses the underside of the spritmast.

Perhaps this photo of Frolich’s L’Ambiteaux illustrates what I mean:

6E0C9E80-C140-4B22-9711-86202C9573F2.jpeg
photo, courtesy of Marc Yeu

One interesting consideration about Tanneron’s model is that it isn’t clear whether the angle of the stem support would even have allowed the sprit mast to contact the upper knee:

822556AF-1004-46FE-ACBF-819C5183C93D.jpeg

Most likely, this feature of the kit was an interpretive error on Heller’s part, as opposed to Tanneron who left the model in an incomplete state for reasons that are only clear to himself.

Both the Saint Philippe and L’Ambitieux, shows very clearly that the bowsprit mast does not touch anywhere near the rosettes:

80D15E15-0FD1-42E7-AB12-8464D06E02E5.jpeg23F22737-32E8-47DD-A698-247F03166BB9.jpeg48F7C54E-85B0-4996-B2EF-83647583BA4B.jpeg

But also, I remember seeing somewhere a kind of a V shape support between the rosettes to accommodate the bowsprit mast… but I can not find it now!

In the case of Tanneron model, I don’t think his idea would be to install the bowsprit mast between the rosettes, but that’s me, he might had another ideas, I guess we will never know…

As Soleil Royal is a vessel contemporary to Saint Phillipe and also L’Ambitieux, I think I will stick to the idea that the mast is unsupported in the rosettes area, and don’t forget that, by the time, you would have the bobstay, that along with the gammoning would compensate for this.

White plastic.. i think.. where to get it? And how is this name corectly? Great work btw ..look superb your weely ;)
It’s white Polystyrene from Evergreen Scale Models, they sell it in strips or sheets basically.

Have a look on their sithe:

White plastic.. i think.. where to get it? And how is this name corectly? Great work btw ..look superb your weely ;)
In german you can find this paterial also under "Polystyrol"
you get the sheets and strips in shops for architects - often archtiecture models are build with this material - I financed my study with building such models

In german you can find this paterial also under "Polystyrol"
you get the sheets and strips in shops for architects - often archtiecture models are build with this material - I financed my study with building such models
Thank you for help .. i found in Poland.. is great n not expensive so will buy it n make better model kits.. now i do HMS Beagle from Revell but on the way is Royal Louis ..SR and HMS Prince with HMS Bounty :)

Thank you for help .. i found in Poland.. is great n not expensive so will buy it n make better model kits.. now i do HMS Beagle from Revell but on the way is Royal Louis ..SR and HMS Prince with HMS Bounty :)
Short off topic post:
What you can do with this material you can see also extensively in this building log by Marc
You can use the same glue which you use for your plastic models

Short off topic post:
What you can do with this material you can see also extensively in this building log by Marc
You can use the same glue which you use for your plastic models
Oh yeah..i saw this SR.. is amazing. And this material fantastic so now become new age for my models ooop ooop :D thanks for help ;)

Back