Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal - 1/78 Scale Kit Build.

Starboard decorations slowly taking shape. Tricky business, plans and drawings inconsistent and vague. Decorations pretty rough and don’t always fit where you want them. More artistic licence and imagination solves most problems. The overall effect is ok so far though. Still a couple of adjustments that I will add in to compensate for the rough decorations should improve things a little. John McKays book is helpful too.

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

Last edited:
More decorations. Quite tedious business. Lots of minor adjustments and alignment issues. I did put the gold mouldings on first and realized after that the decorations would not adjust easily to fit over them. So, back to plan B and did the decorations then the cut the mouldings to fit in between them. The upside of this was that I got to see any alignment problems before going ahead with the placement of the decorations. Quite pleased so far, almost time to turn around and start all over on the port side. Having learnt from my mistakes the other side should be smooth sailing. I have also done some adjustment and prep work on lanterns etc but will leave them off until much later so they don’t get damaged along the way.

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

Starboard side decorations looking good. Now to turn over and repeat the process on the other side. The photo book ‘instructions’ and drawings are not very helpful as they show all manner incorrect or vague positioning. Again John Mckays book has been very helpful in this regard.

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

Last edited:
Port side decorations looking good. Now to turn over and repeat the process on the other side. The photo book ‘instructions’ and drawings are not very helpful as they show all manner incorrect or vague positioning. Again John Mckays book has been very helpful in this regard.

View attachment 435695

View attachment 435696
Good morning. Very impressive. Lovely work. Cheers Grant

Port side decorations in place now. Although there are a couple of glitches but then I am not an artisan. As with most of us the challenge and end result of a beaut model of an old ship long forgotten. I think I better pay some attention to the stern area now before proceeding to the deck furniture although there are a couple of minor things to correct before moving on. I do feel a bit inadequate sometimes when reading books like ‘Ships of the American Revolution by Harold M Hahn’. Some work by the real artists of the trade are absolutely incredible.

IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0169.jpeg

Last edited:
Stern gun ports in now. One silly thing I overlooked was the backing plates for the stern guns. Again, all a bit vague when you view the drawings and photos. Had to place some internal fillers through the ports to facilitate the guns placement. It wasn’t until I started to look at the port covers construction that I realized there were 4 port sized pieces with a centre hole in them. These I assume are supposed to be the backing for the stern guns.. no biggy but another anomalies among many. As you can see, started the port covers now so a few days of repetitious painting and hinges to go on with.

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0182.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

Back