Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

I’ve made a possibly ironic decision regarding this project’s rigging, and still un-sure about adding sails as I did with my Corel Vasa and Ocre Santisima cross section. Standing riggings are sort of within that time generic so those lines are not as important as running lines.

So after much thought, studying the McKay’s rigging plans (excellent but will be very labor intensive) as well as other sources + Anderson of course, my simplified less work intensive plan is to mirror, with variations, the 1628 Vasa

I have the complete Vasa rigging sheets (with sails) that came from Billings. And since little empirical data have survived, and in 1637 ship plans did not exist makes accuracy a bit hazy.

So, 1628 Dutch close enough for me lol (I’ll certainly get deserved grrrs from some) – I have read that riggers would work contracts from one country to another – So certainly cross border “duplications” must have been not so uncommon?

As I continue work on the Sovereign beakhead and bulkwarks - will include pin-rails per the Vasa. And add forward mast bracing deadeyes per SotS historical drawings.

Here are a few images of that Corel Vasa two ships ago project. Some mages are through its case so some reflections may be visible. Won’t again post Vasa images – just this once.

Thanks for following along, likes, or just dropping by very much appreciated.

a.jpeg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpeg7.jpg8.jpeg9.jpeg10 copy.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpeg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpeg19.jpeg

I’ve made a possibly ironic decision regarding this project’s rigging, and still un-sure about adding sails as I did with my Corel Vasa and Ocre Santisima cross section. Standing riggings are sort of within that time generic so those lines are not as important as running lines.

So after much thought, studying the McKay’s rigging plans (excellent but will be very labor intensive) as well as other sources + Anderson of course, my simplified less work intensive plan is to mirror, with variations, the 1628 Vasa

I have the complete Vasa rigging sheets (with sails) that came from Billings. And since little empirical data have survived, and in 1637 ship plans did not exist makes accuracy a bit hazy.

So, 1628 Dutch close enough for me lol (I’ll certainly get deserved grrrs from some) – I have read that riggers would work contracts from one country to another – So certainly cross border “duplications” must have been not so uncommon?

As I continue work on the Sovereign beakhead and bulkwarks - will include pin-rails per the Vasa. And add forward mast bracing deadeyes per SotS historical drawings.

Here are a few images of that Corel Vasa two ships ago project. Some mages are through its case so some reflections may be visible. Won’t again post Vasa images – just this once.

Thanks for following along, likes, or just dropping by very much appreciated.

View attachment 257114View attachment 257115View attachment 257116View attachment 257117View attachment 257118View attachment 257119View attachment 257120View attachment 257121View attachment 257122View attachment 257123View attachment 257124View attachment 257125View attachment 257126View attachment 257127View attachment 257128View attachment 257129View attachment 257130View attachment 257131View attachment 257132View attachment 257133
I am totally amazed and in full respect for your ability to do such detailed rigging and work. Well done! Rich (PT-2)

Hi John. You can certainly do a lot worse than to go for the Vasa's rigging - it is a good and solid idea with your previous experience.

Rich: As always thanks – you are so kind with your comments.

Dean: thanks as well

Daniel: Big thanks!! – for all-intent-and-purposes basically scratch except for the BIG issue with Corel: Hull shape is totally wrong Oh well. I learned huge amounts with this project.

Heinrich: much appreciate your thoughts – Yes the rigging will be a blend of several sources right or wrong….and to your point the Vasa was the first one that I fully rigged with sails – well except for the small Santa Maria – so many years ago – simple little caravel.

==================

Updated images of work on the bulkarks; next pinrails and mast deadeye ropes per historical images.

1.JPG2.JPG3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg10.jpeg11.jpeg12.jpeg13.jpeg

Beautiful ship with great attention to the details!

I like you choice in the Knipex pliers. I have several I use at work. As the saying goes "you always pay a price for tools, either when you get them for the quality or every time you use them for the lack of quality ".

A suggestion I have read about but have not had the opportunity to try: to polish the finely detailed metal pieces use an ultrasonic toothbrush with an appropriate polishing compound.

Keep up the great work!
Glenn

Hi Everyone,
I have wanted to build this kit for a longtime; I will “attempt” to super detail this project beyond the “out of the box” kit – as excellent as it is. I have the McKay book (filled with excellent line drawings and images; it will be an excellent guide, along with stunning museum examples; One of which was built by Ed Marple, and is on permanent display at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, Oxnard CA.

I recently acquired a 1980s “new in box” Sergal kit. That specific vintage product was of interest to me because the 650+ included decorative bits were all cast in solid bronze (that number includes cannons). The current kit is supplied with 650+ white metal/bronze bits that have been electroplated, and apparently, from what I’ve been told, result in loss of casting details?? (TBD) – though many other advantages are certainly in the current kit’s box as well, and not part of the 1980s box contents.

Given that this ship’s beauty, for-all-intent-and-purposes, is because of its 600+ ornamentations I got intrigued with the idea of solid bronze castings; luckily found a vintage kit.

That said, instructions were really non-existent, included lumber still looked very good, other included kit’s amenities were, well from three decades ago. Bronze sculptures were, for me, the prize….as well as the 1:1 plan sheets, and the included many solid wood fittings (nice).

The vintage kit I received did not have a single super tiny missing bronze ornament – all were mixed up in fifteen or so zip lock baggies – took hours to go through them all –haha.

Moving forward two weeks – a large heavy UPS box arrived at my door hmm? – Turns out that I was gifted, for Father’s Day, with the current Sergal #787. So best of both kits will be blended into this single project. My family did not know that I had already purchased the much earlier discontinued edition.

I will balance this log with some, occasional, comparisons between the old and new kit – No criticisms of either just comparisons. That said, this log will focus on the build as it goes forward. I am lucky to have the best of both available.

So first log entry with some notes. – l will also keep the writing to a minimum going forward. Thanks for looking in, and if you are interested - welcome to the shipyard.

Regards,

View attachment 183323View attachment 183324View attachment 183325View attachment 183326View attachment 183327View attachment 183328View attachment 183329View attachment 183330View attachment 183331View attachment 183332View attachment 183333View attachment 183334View attachment 183335View attachment 183336
Hallo John alias @oldflyer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Hi,
Thanks for your kind B. Day posts – lol.

Glenn: Yes, these are awesome pliers! Just discovered them, and picked up these two from Amazon.Regarding the polishing of the bronze bits. I tried several methods; brushing with metal polish included. I found the best solution to be with a brass wire brush attached to a Dremel at slow a speed. Then sprayed with a clear metal lacquer so that new luster will not dull over time.

Thanks for your post and compliment much appreciated.

=========================

Minor update adding bits to this area. The deadeyes are a shade too big. I was too low on inventory of even smaller ones, but did not want to wait weeks to get new ones.

Will also remove those two heads – grrrrr. They were a lot of work (;-(( -- but not in proper scale – Oh well.
Thanks for the nice thoughts and still following along
Cheers,

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

Hi,
Minor update needed to fix issues. Images detail the areas. I got impatient using wrong deadeyes, and also realized the heads were wrong as well. Ordered smaller deadeyes and re did those bits, along with properly scaled heads. As always thanks so much for your likes and comments

Regards,

0.jpg1.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg10.jpeg

Hi,
Minor update needed to fix issues. Images detail the areas. I got impatient using wrong deadeyes, and also realized the heads were wrong as well. Ordered smaller deadeyes and re did those bits, along with properly scaled heads. As always thanks so much for your likes and comments

Regards,

View attachment 263578View attachment 263579View attachment 263580View attachment 263581View attachment 263582View attachment 263583View attachment 263584View attachment 263585View attachment 263587View attachment 263588
What a beautiful ship!! Just curious was the head too small?

Hi,

Regards,

View attachment 263578View attachment 263579View attachment 263580View attachment 263581View attachment 263582View attachment 263583View attachment 263584View attachment 263585View attachment 263587View attachment 263588
I very much respect your attention to scale in all parts going into your ship. Well done. RIch (PT-2)

Back