Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

It's interesting how the bowsprit is placed off-center. I can't imagine how they used the forward facing guns without tearing up the forward section of the ship. Must be like how the old propeller aircraft disallowed the guns to shoot up the props.;) I love your build. Keep up the good work!

Paul: Thanks - you are always so encouraging

Vfordyce: Probably "overkill" with those very small recessed pins, but I wanted to explore added details. They will be seen, if one looks lol
Regarding the bowsprit mast, as you certainly know in many of those ships of the period, when the foremast was placed so far forward into the forecastle deck, the bowsprit mast then had no place to anchor within properly - hence the off-centering.

Those guns were chase guns, and most certainly used as don't get to close signals. In any case if fired crews would certainly be sure that their line of fire were unobstructed. PS: guessing here - please members with expertise add some thoughts?

When I decided to properly off-center the mast I did also think about what you mentioned - I think I'm "ok" with positioning.

Thanks for dropping by......

Starting on forward bulkhead framing - will add details along with timbers painted black.

IMG_2412.jpgIMG_2410.jpgIMG_2411.jpg

Wow Oldflyer!!
I just finished reviewing your magnificent Sovereign of the Seas. I've not seen a bowsprit offset like that before but I like it. I'm getting close to the veneer planking stage with my VASA and will refer to your build as well as @dockattner (Paul's). Looking forward to following the rest of your build!!

Daniel

Daniel,

Way too kind. Welcome aboard as well - so happy that you find this log interesting and are following - thanks indeed.
Regarding mast offset - I know of no commercially produced kits that include within their instructions or their framing bits allow for offsets for particular ships that required such. Sovereign case in point.

Paul: Thanks - you are always so encouraging

Vfordyce: Probably "overkill" with those very small recessed pins, but I wanted to explore added details. They will be seen, if one looks lol
Regarding the bowsprit mast, as you certainly know in many of those ships of the period, when the foremast was placed so far forward into the forecastle deck, the bowsprit mast then had no place to anchor within properly - hence the off-centering.

Those guns were chase guns, and most certainly used as don't get to close signals. In any case if fired crews would certainly be sure that their line of fire were unobstructed. PS: guessing here - please members with expertise add some thoughts?

When I decided to properly off-center the mast I did also think about what you mentioned - I think I'm "ok" with positioning.

Thanks for dropping by......

Starting on forward bulkhead framing - will add details along with timbers painted black.

View attachment 237250View attachment 237251View attachment 237252
Actually, I did know that about the bowsprit on those ships. It just looks a might odd. I’m sure they had a reason for the forward guns, but if you had any sails or rigging in front, they would be hard to miss. It doesn’t seem all that practical. And I was being a bit of a smart Alec. Forgive me.

Actually, I did know that about the bowsprit on those ships. It just looks a might odd. I’m sure they had a reason for the forward guns, but if you had any sails or rigging in front, they would be hard to miss. It doesn’t seem all that practical. And I was being a bit of a smart Alec. Forgive me.
A MOW in pursuit and coming up the stern of the enemy had the most devastating shot through the transom and through the more forward gun decks and crew members. Glass was not much of a deterrent to the shot. Just my thoughts. Rich

A MOW in pursuit and coming up the stern of the enemy had the most devastating shot through the transom and through the more forward gun decks and crew members. Glass was not much of a deterrent to the shot. Just my thoughts. Rich
I think if I were being pursued by a man of war, I’d turn and give him a broadside down the gullet, hoping to demast him with a 24 or more gun advantage. Then I’d turn tail and run. Or if he’s faster and I’m terribly outgunned, I’d strike the colors because resistance is futile. I will be assimilated.

Wonderful John! She's going to be a shiny girl isn't she!?! Impressive work on the catheads and the wooden sheaves. Not an easy thing to have turn out right at this scale. There's something odd about the door swinging in to my eye - it will probably make more sense when you finish that section...ladder? stairs? firepole? trampoline?

Daniel; thanks always appreciated

Uwe: I once tried using my lathe with a dowel to make those bits. Yikes no luck at all - with deadeyes rope grooves are already there, and the deadeyes come in several sizes - all good -- a few seconds of sanding and done - perfect - for me..... Well fitting takes quite a few back-and-forths

Paul; Yes – I sorta puzzled over that for a minute or so. Of the two awesome builds that I know about, that had the door slightly ajar, both were opening inwards. BUT no platform, just small stairs attached longitudinally with the keel.
To your humor, yes certainty before, fire, flood or earthquake in common areas safety laws became common.
Then as I’m working on the platform and ladder it made sense. Strong winds, and recessed door hinges would make entries or exists more difficult with a forward opening door – these are guesses on my part.

Vfordyce: thanks for following along and your nice posts

Heinrich; thanks as well - trying to improve as I go along.

Ladder railing yes or no --is now also a question?? – platform still a work in progress along with sub support.

PS; THE most amazing SotS comes from Doris - her work is hard to believe. I have called her the Michelangelo of this hobby. ALL of her ships are beyond astonishing. Here is a link to her Sovereign, Oh and every ornament and carving she makes by hand.

http://www.papirove-modely.cz/nahledy/2/2996

IMG_2241.jpeg

Continuing work in same areas, but now added two staircases as well as anchor knighthead details. Images will do all the talking. Thanks for your visits, and comments….I know that the forward bulkhead probably did not have a banister and stairs - but probably just stairs from the door down.
Regards,

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg7.jpeg1b.jpeg2b.jpeg3b.jpeg4b.jpeg5b.jpeg6b.jpeg7b.jpeg8b.jpeg

Great detail and beautiful work. Just curious, would the landing at the top of the bulkhead stairs be supported at the corner far corner down to the deck or just cantilevered as shown? Oops, I now see the support under the landing.

Last edited:
Back