Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

Beautiful details on the cannon assemblies John! ;)
Dean thanks --

PS: I forwarded your F1 log to my brother - an F1 - Fanatic - who also thinks that the the Lotus 72 is the most beautiful of its type....and he's going to Las Vegas for the November 18th race - of course....haha...

Many years ago I started a Tamiya JPS.Mk III - - but it's been in that box ever since --:( Maybe one day I'll resurrect it - still have most tools as well as
a good airbrush....

Cheers,

IMG_9524.jpegIMG_9527.jpegIMG_9525.jpeg

Dean thanks --

PS: I forwarded your F1 log to my brother - an F1 - Fanatic - who also thinks that the the Lotus 72 is the most beautiful of its type....and he's going to Las Vegas for the November 18th race - of course....haha...

Many years ago I started a Tamiya JPS.Mk III - - but it's been in that box ever since --:( Maybe one day I'll resurrect it - still have most tools as well as
a good airbrush....

Cheers,

View attachment 377641View attachment 377643View attachment 377644
Wow, that looks very nice John! You should definitely finish it! ;)

Hi Everyone,
I have wanted to build this kit for a longtime; I will “attempt” to super detail this project beyond the “out of the box” kit – as excellent as it is. I have the McKay book (filled with excellent line drawings and images; it will be an excellent guide, along with stunning museum examples; One of which was built by Ed Marple, and is on permanent display at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, Oxnard CA.

I recently acquired a 1980s “new in box” Sergal kit. That specific vintage product was of interest to me because the 650+ included decorative bits were all cast in solid bronze (that number includes cannons). The current kit is supplied with 650+ white metal/bronze bits that have been electroplated, and apparently, from what I’ve been told, result in loss of casting details?? (TBD) – though many other advantages are certainly in the current kit’s box as well, and not part of the 1980s box contents.

Given that this ship’s beauty, for-all-intent-and-purposes, is because of its 600+ ornamentations I got intrigued with the idea of solid bronze castings; luckily found a vintage kit.

That said, instructions were really non-existent, included lumber still looked very good, other included kit’s amenities were, well from three decades ago. Bronze sculptures were, for me, the prize….as well as the 1:1 plan sheets, and the included many solid wood fittings (nice).

The vintage kit I received did not have a single super tiny missing bronze ornament – all were mixed up in fifteen or so zip lock baggies – took hours to go through them all –haha.

Moving forward two weeks – a large heavy UPS box arrived at my door hmm? – Turns out that I was gifted, for Father’s Day, with the current Sergal #787. So best of both kits will be blended into this single project. My family did not know that I had already purchased the much earlier discontinued edition.

I will balance this log with some, occasional, comparisons between the old and new kit – No criticisms of either just comparisons. That said, this log will focus on the build as it goes forward. I am lucky to have the best of both available.

So first log entry with some notes. – l will also keep the writing to a minimum going forward. Thanks for looking in, and if you are interested - welcome to the shipyard.

Regards,

View attachment 183323View attachment 183324View attachment 183325View attachment 183326View attachment 183327View attachment 183328View attachment 183329View attachment 183330View attachment 183331View attachment 183332View attachment 183333View attachment 183334View attachment 183335View attachment 183336
Hallo John alias @oldflyer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Hi there,
I have been MIA from this hobby for several months. Busy with many other (all good) priorities Including not looking in at logs that I really enjoy and learn from following. Hmmm :( - these responsibilities had also taken much of my mental and free time as well. Now, back into a more relaxed scheme – so reopened the shipyard (part-time so far).

Minor post here, noting the redundancy of work. And only less than half way through – You’ve all been here before. Here are a few images AND OH!! Thanks for the “Name Day” thoughts much appreciated as well….

Cheers

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi there,
I have been MIA from this hobby for several months. Busy with many other (all good) priorities Including not looking in at logs that I really enjoy and learn from following. Hmmm :( - these responsibilities had also taken much of my mental and free time as well. Now, back into a more relaxed scheme – so reopened the shipyard (part-time so far).

Minor post here, noting the redundancy of work. And only less than half way through – You’ve all been here before. Here are a few images AND OH!! Thanks for the “Name Day” thoughts much appreciated as well….

Cheers

View attachment 397682

View attachment 397683

View attachment 397684

View attachment 397685

View attachment 397686
Good morning John. It’s good to see you back in your Shipyard. Cheers Grant

Hi,

Thank for the likes, as well as your continued interest --- super appreciated.

Danie
l, kind of you - thanks as always PS: You know that “I owe you”- your suggestion was the one that solved the issues I had trying to include “glass framing" into the lanterns. I’m also close to putting together a video that will nicely show detailed flickering of all the lanterns…..
Need to first create another youtube channel. And then shoot some videos. My new iphone has visual stabilization - my other one did not - videos did not look good too shaky shooting close-up.

Grant, Wolfgang thanks as well….

Carriages did get a few extra details. That said, along with missing and incorrect bits. Capsquare should be black –added the capsquare eyebolts as well
fashioned the keys by bending a nail head and cutting the nail shorter – yes, should also be black. Thinking of how to add the required key chains, in proper scale. -
Was not sure about a breeching ringbolts for these type of carriages – so not included either…Also missing also are Quoins – Hmmm?? Presently working on solutions for adding these as well.

So far I'm comfortable with how these are coming out....

Regards,

IMG_0114.jpegIMG_0111 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank for the likes, as well as your continued interest --- super appreciated.

Danie
l, kind of you - thanks as always PS: You know that “I owe you”- your suggestion was the one that solved the issues I had trying to include “glass framing" into the lanterns. I’m also close to putting together a video that will nicely show detailed flickering of all the lanterns…..
Need to first create another youtube channel. And then shoot some videos. My new iphone has visual stabilization - my other one did not - videos did not look good too shaky shooting close-up.

Grant, Wolfgang thanks as well….

Carriages did get a few extra details. That said, along with missing and incorrect bits. Capsquare should be black –added the capsquare eyebolts as well
fashioned the keys by bending a nail head and cutting the nail shorter – yes, should also be black. Thinking of how to add the required key chains, in proper scale. -
Was not sure about a breeching ringbolts for these type of carriages – so not included either…Also missing also are Quoins – Hmmm?? Presently working on solutions for adding these as well.

So far I'm comfortable with how these are coming out....

Regards,

View attachment 398291View attachment 398292
Easy fix is to use a #0 brush and paint hardware black. I'm not sure what those tails on the bronze guns are there for. Does anyone have a contemporary picture or illustration of such gun barrels? I would have thought they were only used on swivel guns.

Easy fix is to use a #0 brush and paint hardware black. I'm not sure what those tails on the bronze guns are there for. Does anyone have a contemporary picture or illustration of such gun barrels? I would have thought they were only used on swivel guns.
The ZHL Soleil Royal had the different carriages and long extensions behind the cannon as well.

A very small lateral forward working update.
To Kurt’s thoughts regarding the actual guns – yes indeed odd shapes. Have not seen any like this before as well.

But, since this Sergal kit has no significant historical accuracy – even with its guns - I have decided to add some “artistic” creativity here as well. So capsquares are not blackened nor their keys and retaining chains.

That said IMO it does tend helping to highlight some of those details. Yes, purists will correctly be annoyed and rightly so.

After these 12, then need to start details for the main deck’s 10 carriages as well.

Regards,

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg

Hi,

Thought that Id share a source FYI.

AND Thanks to members and visitors who also just drop by for a look. To that end you may know I decided to also add extra details to the carriages.

Turns out that I did not have enough scaled chain to continue with the capsquare key retaining chains. I looked on Amazon – found something but, scale was way off. THEN (more online searches) found (by luck) the perfect source for chains. So, starting all over again….

This company mostly offers fittings for war dioramas. Their chains are also intended for plastic ships, but these perfectly pre blackened metal chains are just right for these carriages. Here are a few images as well as a the source if you might be interested. Once in, just type chains in search bar....

As alway so appreciate your visits

PS: ordered from China in my mailbox five days later Thumbs-Up

Cheers,
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg

Back