Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal 1:78 (with hopefully many added details)

Hi Mates,

Have not posted in a while also need to catch up with the great builds that I am following as well. So minor update – still waiting for bits from Cornwall – not their fault; international flights, USPS mail both almost out of business…..

So in the meantime worked on the capstan, bilge pumps, triple fiddle block for main lower main yard hail, kevels, and main deck gratings; the Sergal provided pumps and capstan were actually quite good.

Added some details but all in all fairly satisfied with these bits. The gratings Sergal provided (laser etched) I did not plan on using, much the same with the pre scored decks. the next update should be substantial - much completed work on sidelines need bits to arrive, then I can attach the main deck along with upper hull side railings and added details that I have added. As always thanks so much for looking in. likes and such .....

Here are some images.

View attachment 216818View attachment 216819View attachment 216820View attachment 216821View attachment 216822View attachment 216823View attachment 216824View attachment 216825View attachment 216826View attachment 216827View attachment 216828View attachment 216829View attachment 216830View attachment 216831View attachment 216832View attachment 216833
Wow John! The capstan and the pumps are fantastic. Those came direct from the kit?

Hi all,
Work still in progress playing with some added ideas; Images speak for themselves so keeping notes fairly brief.

•Upper deck gun rails and frames
•Hull doors
•Entering platforms

This SotS will not result in a historically accurate 1637 ship, under any circumstances (well it’s a Sergal kit for one thing) and no other kits exist today that were closer to the 1:1s first iteration – I don’t have the skill set for scratch, OR carvings – and the Amati has been discontinued and very rarely seen even on eBay – so enjoying this project with no expectations of any historical accuracy. Note: the wale scarf joints. Drilled holes - added black nylon fishing line to add highlights

As always thanks for your very kind comments, likes, or just having a look. PS: Poss. too many images this time so posted them in thumbnail format.

Regards,

View attachment 198797View attachment 198798View attachment 198799View attachment 198800View attachment 198801View attachment 198802View attachment 198803View attachment 198804View attachment 198805View attachment 198806View attachment 198807View attachment 198808View attachment 198809View attachment 198810View attachment 198811View attachment 198812View attachment 198813View attachment 198814View attachment 198815View attachment 198816
The brass hinges and other door accessories are extremely well cut and detailed. DId you do those or were they provided in the kit? Looks beautiful. Rich

Dock..
Yes, the capstans are from the kit – BUT from the old 1980s vintage. The current kit includes the “same” bits with some IMO lower quality alterations – see images.
Rich: thanks for your comments – regarding hinges see post #98 above to answer your question.
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6 copy.jpg

Your annotated log photos are well done in a manner that I don't know how to use. Very nice log presentation and work. Rich (PT-2)

Vfordyce: Thanks, no -- I had some very good help - the tricky bit was being sure that all four pieces would meet "just right" - some sanding and adjusting was also needed.

IMG_1104.jpeg

Paul: Much appreciated – glad that you are aboard and liking this project - thanks

Jimsky: much appreciated as well – Yes the pear wood came out real nice -

PT-2: thanks as well – I add content to the images using the “Preview” on my Mac. Very simple open the image on the desktop and Preview opens so that you can work with an image.

IMG_1107.jpeg

And thanks all for the likes and comments

Regards,

Hi oldflyer
Your capstan looks very good- but it be in the way of much later time, after 1677 and sorry not 1637.
I will show you a capstan what in use 1637
Hi, Thanks for the better information - I will think about doing another capstan. I appreciate your comments and expertise.
Thanks for the images as well.
In any case this project will result in an "expression" of what this ship looked like - Much has been written regarding the many inaccuracies of this Sergal product.

Vfordyce,

Glad to be of help ---- Yes it's Proxxon's small KS115 small table saw. It's been excellent over the years. Though I now also need a more powerful table saw - so recently got their larger 37070 FET table saw.

IMG_1114.jpeg

Hi John

I know that there are some mistakes at the kit, but your are very well model builder and til this time your Sovereign is looking good
in all details. I am sure you are able to build a perfect model .

Friendly regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Willi: Thanks for your very kind comments – very appreciated and encouraging – Thank You! - Your advice and posts have been very helpful. I will study the capstan further – I will also study the image & links that you previously posted.
================
Just started the second planking (pear wood 5 X 1/2 mm). Not sure about this – trying it according to English planking 16th century.
That said, I have seen some amazing builds that have diff. shades of planking throughout the hull – looks amazing – trying to emulate that look as well

PS: I think that builders that included different shades among hull planks was because they used several different woods? I’m trying to do this just using all the same wood – just adding a light stain to some planks; I am aware that at water line this hull was probably painted white – decided not to do that, which, of course, would solve the problem.

Thanks so much for your visits and interest in this build log – so appreciated.
Regards,

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Willi: Thanks for your very kind comments – very appreciated and encouraging – Thank You! - Your advice and posts have been very helpful. I will study the capstan further – I will also study the image & links that you previously posted.
================
Just started the second planking (pear wood 5 X 1/2 mm). Not sure about this – trying it according to English planking 16th century.
That said, I have seen some amazing builds that have diff. shades of planking throughout the hull – looks amazing – trying to emulate that look as well

PS: I think that builders that included different shades among hull planks was because they used several different woods? I’m trying to do this just using all the same wood – just adding a light stain to some planks; I am aware that at water line this hull was probably painted white – decided not to do that, which, of course, would solve the problem.

Thanks so much for your visits and interest in this build log – so appreciated.
Regards,

View attachment 219156

View attachment 219157

View attachment 219158

View attachment 219159
I am very interested to see how the patchwork hull will turn out!

DK,

Thanks - I hope that it works out - that said I just didn't know what I was doing with the bow - (stern was still not an issue) It was going to turn out badly - So did some needed research and just now learning about stealers, drop planks, proper tapering and how to avoid the "clinker effect" an effect that was certainly becoming a problem with this project.

pulled the bow planks away, also ordered some slightly wider planks from Cornwall -- grrrr and some extra 5mm as well ---

In the meantime will work on the port - mid ship planking - leaving the bow and stern - on both sides -until after some much needed learning

PS: your Vasa planking came out so well - Good work indeed.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

DK,

Went back over your log - so it goes when a builder knows what their doing Thumbsup Beer I should have paid much more attention - well we "all" learn from each other - sometimes even before it's too late haha

Cheers,

IMG_5712.JPG

Hey John,
The Sovereign shares a very bluff (rounded) bow with the Vasa. I was not able to overcome that with drop planks - the clinker effect became just too much for me and the edge bending necessary was impossible using 0.5 mm strips. My remedy came in the form of spiling but the width of the strip required also necessitated using sheet veneer (not just wider strips). If you want to terminate every plank at the stem then that may be your only solution. Or give up on that ambition and let the planks terminate "in the field" like most modelers accept happily... I almost didn't survive trying to finish every row at the stem...

Last edited:
Paul,
Thanks for your advice - noted - I will prob. have to accept some compromises. Veneer prob not an option in my case in that I want all the planks to be pear. I'll take a look on ebay poss a pear venner option available. Whatever I do just can't have any clinker effect

Back