SPANISH GALLEON XVII. GALEON DEL AZOGUE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great work, Ramon!
What sort of golden paint did you use?
János
It's metal dust. It could be pyrite, mica or actually gold. In this case I use a FIMO brand that gives very good results.
My method of sculpture is different from that of your wonderful carvings, it is modelled in polymer clay and then fired in an oven. I apply the powder BEFORE the baking so it melts with the piece and the effect is totally metallic. In the case of wood, it can be applied with one of the mordants used for gold leaf

The stand you have designed and name placard are as grand as the ship model, very well deserving of such a display stand.
The base is an important part of the model, it should enhance it but not override it and it should be in consonance with the ship character.
In this case I have chosen a "Escurialense" style, typical of the Spanish Habsburg dynasty, very inspired by the Escorial pantheon. Black marble and golden bronzes with heraldic motifs of the Hispanic monarchy.

It's metal dust. It could be pyrite, mica or actually gold. In this case I use a FIMO brand that gives very good results.
My method of sculpture is different from that of your wonderful carvings, it is modelled in polymer clay and then fired in an oven. I apply the powder BEFORE the baking so it melts with the piece and the effect is totally metallic. In the case of wood, it can be applied with one of the mordants used for gold leaf

Thanks, Ramon.
I tried golden plating once and then I gave up. I used 22 carat gold leaf and had some difficulty with the seize but I managed. It was very difficult to apply the leaf inside crevices, sometimes close to impossible. Then at the end I had to admit that because of the high gloss, strongly reflective gold leaf many details 'disappeared' (visually). So I gave up for a while but the itching is there so I am looking for some other technologies by which I can avoid at least the first problem. On your beautiful sculptures I also saw the 'too reflective, too glossy' effect but your result can not be distinguished from a properly done gold leaf.
János

Very nicely done.

Any chance you can post English translation of plaque. I can figure a few things out but not all.
Santiago de Oliste .
Galleon of 21 cubits, 900 tons and 44 guns.
Built in Pasajes in 1621.
Model configured to carry quicksilver.
Wear the "Oquendo Banner"

Santiago de Oliste .
Flagship of Antonio de Oquendo in the Battle of the Abrojos (Brazil) on September 12, 1631.
According to paintings by Juan de la Corte and the Naos Ordinance of 1618

Amigo mío ... te envío un abrazo muy fuerte por haber culminado tu novedoso y posiblemente único proyecto conocido, de estudio, investigación, y construcción, sobre "El Galeón del Azogue"

Por eso yo te saludo cariñosamente para desearte muchas felicidades por el reto cumplido.

Liberto

Amigo mío ... te envío un abrazo muy fuerte por haber culminado tu novedoso y posiblemente único proyecto conocido, de estudio, investigación, y construcción, sobre "El Galeón del Azogue"

Por eso yo te saludo cariñosamente para desearte muchas felicidades por el reto cumplido.

Liberto
Muchas gracias Liberto
Hi Ramon, fantastic work.
I am still suprised by the totally different type of 17th century ship compared to Dutch or English design of the period.
Learned a lot.
What is the next one?
Right now I have two little projects.
First to clean and restore my "Sebastian Gumá" A very complex model that I made ten years ago and which, for various reasons, has been unprotected. (if it interests the forum I will post a thread about it).
Then I'm going to make a xebec, a smaller project, taking advantage of a model that a friend of mine gave me unfinished (and something has to be done with it).
Then, I calculate that in about six months, I will tackle another major project

First of Congratulation for this amazing model - this is one of these models, where you can sit easily one hour in front, and still you find new details which you did not realize before.
Many Many thanks that you shared your building of this model on regular basis - it was a pleasure to follow.

And it will be a further pleasure to follow your next small project(s) as well later on the next "major project" - :cool:

Santiago de Oliste .
Galleon of 21 cubits, 900 tons and 44 guns.
Built in Pasajes in 1621.
Model configured to carry quicksilver.
Wear the "Oquendo Banner"

Santiago de Oliste .
Flagship of Antonio de Oquendo in the Battle of the Abrojos (Brazil) on September 12, 1631.
According to paintings by Juan de la Corte and the Naos Ordinance of 1618
Thank you very much for the information. It goes well with all the photos of this outstanding boat construction.

A ship build any modeler or sailer would be proud to display.

Back