Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

@Jimsky .... I used Maple for the other two bed. 2 reasons (a) I ordered Pear Wood to The Lumberyard, but Dave is swamped with job and can't provide me a delivery time (b) no one will see the difference based on the location. See pictures and imaging the windlass and other stuff over it.
The maple looks ok, hence you said it will be mostly hidden. However, the right piece is damaged with the black line, You may want to replace it? I think the two small openings are for the sailor's personal storage, but that's my opinion.

The maple looks ok, hence you said it will be mostly hidden. However, the right piece is damaged with the black line, You may want to replace it? I think the two small openings are for the sailor's personal storage, but that's my opinion.

I will wait to replace the right section (and left) with pear wood. If at the end I leave it, then I will place a decorative beam in all the sections, over that place, to cover that black line. Just an idea. It will look fine.

Cheers and thank you for stopping and your comments.

Daniel

I will wait to replace the right section (and left) with pear wood. If at the end I leave it, then I will place a decorative beam in all the sections, over that place, to cover that black line. Just an idea. It will look fine.
It is your model, and you are the Captain\shipwright to made the final decisions. :)

Hi

Can someone teach me the name and what are those "extensions" (to call them in some way). See arrows in the picture.

View attachment 197277

Thanks !!!
Daniel
Hi Daniel, these are the knees of the deck beams from a side view. They are only installed in the smaller spaces, the public spaces are free of knees to create more space in the public rooms.

Hi Daniel, these are the knees of the deck beams from a side view. They are only installed in the smaller spaces, the public spaces are free of knees to create more space in the public rooms.

Thank you Maarten !! Now I understand the drawings.

In the below picture you have knees within the circle and those correspond to the plan drawings.

How do you call the other parts between beams that are not knees ? (See inside the square)

20201209_080912.jpg

Thanks
Daniel

Hi Daniel!

At the bow there is a "deck hook" at deck level. At the stern there is a "deck transom knee" at deck level. All other horizontal knees are called "lodging knees". Sometimes between two upper deck beams there are two "lodging knees" facing each other, than they are called "double lodging knees".
I hope it is understandable to translate German into American?

With best regards
Thomas

Hi Daniel!

At the bow there is a "deck hook" at deck level. At the stern there is a "deck transom knee" at deck level. All other horizontal knees are called "lodging knees". Sometimes between two upper deck beams there are two "lodging knees" facing each other, than they are called "double lodging knees".
I hope it is understandable to translate German into American?

With best regards
Thomas

Thank you Thomas!!!!

Hi Daniel!

All knees, together with the deck beams, have the task to carry the weight of the deck and their cannons and to protect the ship against twisting!

With best regards
Thomas

If we think that Statenjachts were more for pasenger transport, then it make sense that not all of the beams have knees. Statenjachts had just a very small number of cannons (4-6). And as Maarten mentioned, knees will be taking space for passengers.

Am I correct on my cannons assessment ?

Thanks
Daniel

The limited load on the deck will certainly be a factor in this. On The larger vessel you also see that on the higher decks the knees are not installed as these decks are not carrying high loads.
I guess on the Statenjacht also the fact that she is an inland waterway vessel wil contribute to this, she won't face extremely high waves like major seagoing vessel and therefore a lighter structure is possible.

The limited load on the deck will certainly be a factor in this. On The larger vessel you also see that on the higher decks the knees are not installed as these decks are not carrying high loads.
I guess on the Statenjacht also the fact that she is an inland waterway vessel wil contribute to this, she won't face extremely high waves like major seagoing vessel and therefore a lighter structure is possible.

Thank you !!! I have learned a lot from you and Thomas today.

Cheers
Daniel

Bow crew's quarters done.

20201215_165458.jpg20201215_165548.jpg20201215_165707.jpg20201215_165954.jpg20201215_170236.jpg

Question
Sailors need a stair to go out of that cabin. The stair isn't detailed on Cor Emke plans (picture below).

16080703093354614147500158733451.jpg

There is a wall and at the other side the chimney for cooking. On the deck there goes an opening for the stair (picture below)

16080704426768105186169516644788.jpg

What kind of stair can go there ?

A straight one, like I have seen in some WW II museum ships ?

If yes... the steps will be round wood or rope ?

Thanks
Daniel

@Dematosdg We would have to go with suggestions from other members, I have no cooking clue!:confused:

Bow crew's quarters done.

View attachment 199110View attachment 199111View attachment 199112View attachment 199113View attachment 199114

Question
Sailors need a stair to go out of that cabin. The stair isn't detailed on Cor Emke plans (picture below).

View attachment 199117

There is a wall and at the other side the chimney for cooking. On the deck there goes an opening for the stair (picture below)

View attachment 199118

What kind of stair can go there ?

A straight one, like I have seen in some WW II museum ships ?

If yes... the steps will be round wood or rope ?

Thanks
Daniel
Daniel, you went overboard too with mattresses and pillows! ;) Looking great.

Back