Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi All

Here I am again. After finishing the Marmara I took a break to reorganize my workshop. By the time I was ending the Marmara trade boat, I got from ZHL MODEL the kit PEGASUS , a Statenjacht that possible never existed, but nevertheless, it is a magnificent kit to built.

This kit is built based on the "Statenjacht UTRECH" depicted in a very nice book In the american edition of the book, you can find all the plans for its construction, if you want to do it from scratch (link below). The big issue, for most of us, will be the carvings (See pictures below of Original and one of a kind model)

Those carvings is what make this kit stand out of the pack and expensive also ($~760 at ZHL MODEL- including shipping to USA). You can built the kit in its basic form or you can go a step forward and do a lot of scratch building to add details (Interiors as well as at the external deck).

The Pear Wood carvings provided with the kit are of high quality, they are not precisely identical to Ivan's model, but pretty similar.

You can find on internet pictures of a few finished Pegasus and you will realize that they are all diferent, because they all differ on the level of details added by their modelers. Remember, this is a basic model. It is up to you how you would like to finish it.

At SOS a Pegasus building log already exist. The model was done by a highly experienced modeler @Jeronimo (link and picture below).

12.038.JPG

And I did a basic box opening of the Kit here:

The Admiral is calling for lunch. I will stop this posting here. In the next one I will add more information about Statenjachts.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
After a nice lunch we will continue with this starting log build.

Here is a little of info that I was able to collect concerning Statenjachts . Not too much, but is always helpful.

From Wikipedia:

Statenjacht: The States Yacht is a means of transport for the members of the States General . Sometimes it is also referred to as the "Prince Hunt". In the past, in water-rich land, it was necessary for transport to go by water. There were 2 types of Statenhachts, the Staten inside yacht and the Staten outside yacht. The Staten inland yacht was a type of barge that was only suitable for inland waters. No images of these yachts have survived. The States outside yacht also had to be done on the Zuiderzee and the Waddenzeecan be used. The types of ships used were Mirror Yachts, Stern Yachts, Pavilion Yachts, etc.
In 1632, a Statenjacht was used for the first time in Friesland. The Dutch Stadholder Frederik Hendrik gave his Frisian cousin Ernst Casimir his old yacht when he got a new one. It must have been a heavily built ship, as it was also used in campaigns. Ernst Casimir probably did not use the yacht, but his son Hendrik Casimir did. In 1640 Hendrik asked the States of Friesland for a new "Bequam hunt of war". Ultimately, 6 Statenjachten were in use in Friesland, whereby in 1672 a yacht "Verbrands ende in de Grondt ..." was shot near Zwartsluis. The last Statenjacht is in the Patriots-time sold to Emden in 1796 .

The Queen's Commissioner in Friesland, Binnert Philip van Harinxma thoe Slooten commissioned Eeltje Holtrop van der Zee in 1893 to make a "Commissarisboeier". This became the "Friso". After some wanderings, this boeier was purchased in 1953 to serve as a Statenjacht for Friesland.

The City and States of Utrecht owned state yachts from 1665 to 1860. These were partly indoor or tow yachts. They were mainly used for inspecting the waters within the territory of Utrecht and for transporting the authorities to meetings or receptions. In the context of training and employment for people with an increased distance to the labor market, a replica of a 1746 Statenjacht based on the original shipbuilding drawings by Pieter van Zwijndregt has been built.

The Statenjacht 'De Utrecht' or the Utrecht Statenjacht is a historical reconstruction of a state yacht as originally built in 1746 . The ship was built in five and a half years between 1998 and 2003 by shipbuilders and carvers as part of a training and employment project in the city of Utrecht , using as much as possible the original materials and construction methods. About 300 m 3 of oak wood was used for the construction , from forests in Denmark that were 200 years ago with Dutch acornsare planted. The ship is moored in Volendam from April to November, in the winter in the Veilinghaven on Van Zijstweg in Utrecht.

Details of with many pictures and the ship plans are depicted on the previously cited book. https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=111004

Remember that only the American version of the book include the plan drawings.

From: https://www.folkartinbottles.com/wo...ns/134-build-the-statenjacht-by-henny-fransen

591e.jpg
“Statenjacht” or State-Yachts were official ceremonial ships, meant to transport very distinguished people. Later they were also used as pleasure-craft. They were excessively decorated ships, matching the status of their owners. The original meaning of the Dutch word 'jacht' (meaning: chasing, hunting, sailing fast) indicates that they were good sailers. Their shape was derived from war-ships from those days. With shallower draught, lee-boards and fore and aft rigging, they had been adjusted to sailing the inland waters. In 1660 the burgomaster of Amsterdam presented King Charles II with a state-yacht. This was the introduction of this type of ship and yachting in England. Since then numerous ships of this kind were also built there, however with typical English characteristics.

http://www.historische-schiffsmodelle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=37
A little more more of history and comments about Ivan' Trtany PEGASUS (Transated fron thr link)

State yacht (Dutch statenjacht) has been used since the 17th century to describe the large mirror yachts with their spacious stern pavilions that carried the leading personalities of some official colleges of the 17th century Republic: the representatives of the Admiralty, the chambers of the United East India Company, the States General and the States of the Maritime Provinces used such a yacht as an official and comfortable means of transport, just as their descendants use the company car today. Governors also made use of these ships. Then they were called the Prinzenjacht, in the other cases also as the Admiralty or Compagnie yacht.

The yachts could sail on inland waters, on the Zuiderzee and - if the weather wasn't too rough - also on the North Sea. The word yacht is derived from “to hunt” meaning “to move quickly”. It referred to a ship that was supposed to carry a lot of canvas rather than heavy loads and was built accordingly. The state yacht had a complete, i.e. round, foredeck and an aft with a mirror. This stern was often as overly decorated as that of a large sea-going mirror ship. Lateral swords reduced the drift. The ship originally had a spret sail on its only mast, but a gaff sail since the second half of the 17th century.

The reef technology on the yachts at that time is perhaps interesting: In good weather, the gaff sail, and later the stay jib on the leech, was extended by one or two strips of canvas, the bonnets. If the wind becomes too strong, you can detach the bonnet from the sail with a single pull on the lanyard, which the wind also supports. Otherwise you would have to gather the lower part of the sail with several reefing straps.

A spacious cabin as well as a galley and sleeping cabins were located below deck amidships. On the quarterdeck there was a luxuriously furnished superstructure, the pavilion, with large windows in the back wall and in both side walls.

For the transport of dignitaries a characteristic type of vehicle was created, which was on the one hand related to the inland vessels of the time (shallow draft, leeboards, no square, but first Spriet and later gaff and staysails) and on the other hand had some similarities with the warships ( Spiegel, stern superstructure, Scheg - the foremost wood on the ship, which extends from the lower part of the Vorsteven to under the figurehead - figurehead and some artillery).

Because of the pompous execution and rich ornamentation, these large mirrored yachts naturally attracted interest, including that of the artists. They appear frequently in 17th century paintings with views of the port and the ship, more often than it probably ever was in reality. There are also a relatively large number of models of these magnificent ships from different periods in the shipping museums. They show a certain course of development, but not so much in the main form as in the detailing.

In the 18th century the Bujer types, vehicles with soft curves from every angle, began to displace the mirror ships. The Dutch Navy abolished the last classic state yacht in 1843.

I

Last edited:
Ok... as a start I have already written a lot.

Concerning the Pegasus building, today I only placed on one of my working tables the kit and all its components. As you can see not too many. The carvings came in plastic bags and I saved them in plastic boxes.

I will start the ribs construction during the week. I will go slowly on this kit, because I still think I was crazy when I took the decision to build it.

I hope that with my little experience and a lot of help from the SOS members, this model finish, at least, half as good as @Jeronimo's model. That is all what I want.

20201018_153624.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

As many of us like to say.....

"And all start here." :)

20201019_210607.jpg

I am also reorganizing the shop because 3 new toys have been added for this project and many more projects to come. This one was the excuse. Admiral wanted this ship....then I need some tech to help me on its built :)

Scroll Saw, MicroLux table saw and Proxxon mini Miller.

20201019_211008.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

A few more ribs done. Slowly, I do not want to rush this job.

20201021_200352.jpg

If you read Karl @Jeronimo built log, he posted that the wood quality of the kit wasn't good. So he replaced it.

Well, when I got the kit I was happy with the pear wood of the planks. But I was too naive. Today I received Pear wood strips from Max (ZHL MODEL) and now I can compare.

@Jeronimo, with his experience, he realized immediately that the kit planks where not good. I only saw the difference when I received the new wood today. "See picture below" (zoom it to see better the details). Arrow is the new Pear wood

20201021_195801.jpg

20201021_205753.jpg

The kit planking strips are 2.5 x5 mm. I was afraid of the bending process of such thick planks. So, just in case, I ordered from ZHL MODEL , 0.6x5 , 1x5 and 1.5x5 mm. The 0.6 in case I wanted to do a double planking if my first planking looks terrible. I wanted to be sure I have in my hands all the options. I decided to use the 1.5x5mm for planking now that I see the quality difference.

Moreover, I also ordered more wood, in different thicknesses,
to scratch build the interiors. Black Walnut and Pear to have color contrast in details. See picture.

20201021_202717.jpg

I do not have any idea what will be the outcome of this building log. But for sure I will try to have fun and reduce to a minimum my street vocabulary when things do not work . Ja Ja :)

To be continue in the next posting right now....... :)

CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!! The most important aspect in all the businesses that deal with customers.

The kit arrived with 1 broken decoration and a few missing parts.

Max (ZHL MODEL) sell the kit, but he is not the one who produce the kit. In the past, if I had an issue of that type, I had to deal with the kit manufacturer and not the hobby shop. Most of the times, that is a headache.

I sent Max the pictures from other builders and from the drawings and instruction manual included in the kit. The parts do not have numbers.

In 1 week Max solved the problem. He wrote the manufacturer and sent them the below picture with details of the pictures I sent him.

Screenshot_20201021-213737_Yahoo Mail.jpg

And the parts arrived today with my wood order.

20201021_200954.jpg

Thank you MAX for an excellent customer service !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Back