Steam pinnace Janet

Hello all,
As adviced I moved the thread from introductions to builds.
I intend to build a steam pinnace with wood and plyboard
The model will be 1 meter lenght and 23 cm wide
This is my first RC build and any advice is great appreciated
Fair warning , English is not my first language, so mistakes will slip

Let's start at the beginning :
I wanted to build a steam launch couple of years ago but I after seeing the full price for boiler and engine and stuff I was a little reluctant.
Last year after a trip in navy museum in Portsmouth, at the repair hangar I have the luck to see this beauty
The time was short so I took some pictures and hoped to return for a longer session but this year a lot of trips were cancelled due to current situation.
Took the advice of Moxis and beginned the drawings for the ship.

20191013_153338.jpg20191013_153348.jpg

due of limitation of laser cutter at my friend place ( max 300 x500 mm) I have to make the keel from 3 mm plyboard in 2 pieces , The pieces will be bonded with epoxy for resistence and for that reason the assembly line are on other parts of keel.
the propeller shaft will have 6 mm diameter

20200425_122459.jpg

Very nice Badras, I will follow your build with great interest. Does your ESC have reverse too or are you using an external switch-over relay to change direction?

Thank you Moxis , You are a great modeller and your advices will help me a lot.
Esc is for planes only forward and I think I have to find a way for reverse.
tonight I will finish the sanding for the propeller shaft and maybe epoxy for keel.
Daniel

Thank you Daniel for your nice words. I am always glad if I can help other ship model builders.

One possibility to change direction from forward to reverse might be to reserve another channel of the transmitter to operate a switch module or a servo which in turn operates a 2-pole relay. With this relay you just change position of 2 of the 3 wires going from ESC to motor.

Very nice start to the build,I love the way you have designed the bulkheads with temporary supports built in to glue to the building board.I would be tempted to buy another speed controller though,it would be a lot less work and these have come down in price since Brushless came out(at least if you don't buy Robbe)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back