Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

View attachment 321695
Next up was cutting the holes in the overlay planks,I picked this little tool in a charity shop for a dollar,
it wont cut a hole right through but enough to stop the edges breaking away,

View attachment 321696
this is the business end, a point to rotate on and an adjustable arm with a small cutter in the end,

View attachment 321697
I cut out a square section and then my dremel to shape the hole, test fitting along the way,

View attachment 321698
they came out fairly neatly,

View attachment 321700
and with the four large rings and holders in place, these are not glued yet as i have to fit handles and blacken them,

View attachment 321701
this is approx where they will sit,

View attachment 321702
overall view,

View attachment 321704
and a close up of the small ones, these sit proud of the deck and have to have a framing covering the whole area,

thanks for looking in,

Best regards John,
Dear John
I believe your admiral's condition worries you. I will join you and to our friends in prayers for a speedy and full recovery
you are doing Beautiful, acupuncture and very impressive work , Well done my friend

Thank you Maarten for the nice comments.

My Admiral is back in Hospital again, she came out Friday and went back in Tuesday, they have to do more test etc to try and find out what is happening.

best regards john.
Sorry to hear John. Hopefully they soon find out and she will be back home.
Nothing more important then the health of the ones you love.

Dear John
I believe your admiral's condition worries you. I will join you and to our friends in prayers for a speedy and full recovery
you are doing Beautiful, acupuncture and very impressive work , Well done my friend

Thank you so much for all the support and prayers, you guys are wonderful,
Best regards John,

Sorry to hear John. Hopefully they soon find out and she will be back home.
Nothing more important then the health of the ones you love.

Thank you Maarten, hopefully the Doctors will be able to fix whatever it is that keeps attacking her, I hope so, we been married 54 year's this year, I'm so worried, thanks again,
Best regards John,

639.jpg
Time to drill and fix the handles on the lids, I made up a small jig to hold the lids and centralized the lid under the drill bit,

640.jpg
first hole drilled, I used a dremel V shaped bit and it cut the holes nice and clean,

641.jpg
Then turned the lid and drilled the other hole,

643.jpg
I then turned the lids over and CA glued a brass rod across the underneath of the holes,

644.jpg
This is the four large lids,

645.jpg
I glued in place the two sets of overlay protection planks,

646.jpg
then I added a dab of black paint where the handles for the
lids will sit so you cannot see the planks underneath,

647.jpg
two of the large rings and lids glued in place, these will have a coat of flat varnish over them when I varnish the decks,

650.jpg
this and the next pic were taken in daylight, a big difference from the flash pics,

651.jpg
and a close up, the four smaller rings and lids were done in the same way,

thanks for looking,

best regards john.

649.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 322454
I glued in place the two sets of overlay protection planks,

View attachment 322455
then I added a dab of black paint where the handles for the
lids will sit so you cannot see the planks underneath,

View attachment 322456
two of the large rings and lids glued in place, these will have a coat of flat varnish over them when I varnish the decks,

View attachment 322459
this and the next pic were taken in daylight, a big difference from the flash pics,

View attachment 322460
and a close up, the four smaller rings and lids were done in the same way,

thanks for looking,

best regards john.

View attachment 322458
Great work John,

The lids look really good.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Wow cant believe its eight months since I posted on this log, the Admiral hasn't been too good and I haven't been able to get up to the pond so I put the model aside for awhile, but now under the aged care system they are providing a carer to come and sit with Maureen once a fortnight for four hours so it gives us both some respite and I can go out knowing someone is looking after her, so I decided to do a bit more to the drifter,

652.jpg
I want to see what she looks like on the water so I am installing the Prop tube, shaft and propeller, I have to epoxy the tube in position and to make sure that there is enough epoxy around the shaft i am going to inject the epoxy into the hole for the shaft and then push the tube through the hole, I have cut the handle of an old paint brush in half and will insert it into the end of the tube that I push through the hole so no epoxy enters the tube,

653.jpg
paint brush handle in place,

654.jpg
I pushed the tube through from the inside of the boat making sure there was enough epoxy around the tube,

655.jpg
and also that there was enough epoxy pushed through with the tube, this pic is after the excess epoxy was removed, I will have to check it in the bath just to make sure that the water cannot get in,

656.jpg
once I am content that the seal is water tight then I will attach the Prop and the rudder,

Best regards john,

657.jpg
The plans show a strip of checker plate along the side of the superstructure from just behind the front of the bridge and just a little bit longer than the reinforcing planks around the coal bunker lids, the plate glued in position,

658.jpg
close up view,

659.jpg
and both sides glued in place,

660.jpg
overall view with the superstructure in place, to-day I am going to try and get the electric motor and some of the servo;s and wiring place, fingers croosed.

thanks for dropping in,

best regards John,

Great progress John!
I am still behind with work on Janet and is very little time for hobby.
This Year is on fast forward at work .
Good health to you and Admiral too
Daniel

Nice to see you working again on this beautiful project.
Best wishes to you and the admiral, hope the best for you both.

Back