Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

612.jpg
I searched the net looking for pics of the bunker lids, the pic above is of the Lydia Eva approx 1920
steam drifter, which shows a very slight circular pattern, i have a better pic of it but it is an Alamy
pic which is copy wright so I don't know if I can post it here,

613.jpg
These next pics are of some various models and they also show the ring pattern,

614.jpg
and this one,

615.jpg
This one is of the Imara Tug boat that I built and they also show the circular pattern,

616.jpg
This is a nice resin bunker lid, they were quite cheap but the shipping from America was too dear,

617.jpg.jpg
These cast metal ones I found at Float a Boat and i bought four each of the ones with the X next to them, hope fully they will be ok,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john.

Dear John
I was happy to hear that your admiral was released home and on a positive recovery trend, I wish you both good health and a speedy and full recovery for her.:)
I love what you are doing with the model

Dear John
I was happy to hear that your admiral was released home and on a positive recovery trend, I wish you both good health and a speedy and full recovery for her.:)
I love what you are doing with the model

Thank you very much, Maureen says she appreciates you wishes,

best regards John.

View attachment 320946
I searched the net looking for pics of the bunker lids, the pic above is of the Lydia Eva approx 1920
steam drifter, which shows a very slight circular pattern, i have a better pic of it but it is an Alamy
pic which is copy wright so I don't know if I can post it here,

View attachment 320947
These next pics are of some various models and they also show the ring pattern,

View attachment 320948
and this one,

View attachment 320949
This one is of the Imara Tug boat that I built and they also show the circular pattern,

View attachment 320950
This is a nice resin bunker lid, they were quite cheap but the shipping from America was too dear,

View attachment 320953
These cast metal ones I found at Float a Boat and i bought four each of the ones with the X next to them, hope fully they will be ok,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john.

Great work John,
Sorry to hear your admiral has been unwell and as the others have said I would also wish her a speedy recovery.

Bunker lids are something I have agonized over and I wasn't able to find any good photos, probably due to my crap searching ability I guess. The lids you got look good.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great work John,
Sorry to hear your admiral has been unwell and as the others have said I would also wish her a speedy recovery.

Bunker lids are something I have agonized over and I wasn't able to find any good photos, probably due to my crap searching ability I guess. The lids you got look good.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Steve for your best wishes I will pass them on to Maureen.
I agree with you about the bunker lids Steve, there are plenty of pics of the drifters but hardly any pics of their decks, Ive looked at a lot of pics of the LT100 and there are a lot of variations between them, its a pity old Ted isnt around anymore he could have put us right on a lot of things,

best regards John.

Great work John,

Cheers,
Stephen.

Firstly, my best wishes to your wife John. It sounds like it’s been a long haul for her so here’s to a speedy recovery.

As I caught up on your log I kept looking at those bunker lids wondering where I had recently read of another SOS member asking about lid plate “patterns”. I searched back and found Steve’s @Stevedownunder thread but I see he has already found your posts above. The good news is my memory seems to still be intact :D.

Thank you Steve for your best wishes I will pass them on to Maureen.
I agree with you about the bunker lids Steve, there are plenty of pics of the drifters but hardly any pics of their decks, Ive looked at a lot of pics of the LT100 and there are a lot of variations between them, its a pity old Ted isnt around anymore he could have put us right on a lot of things,

best regards John.
Thanks John,

I whole heartly agree with your comment, its a pity old Ted isnt around anymore he could have put us right on a lot of things.
I am really glad you have better searching ability than me and that my lack of progress at the moment means I can try replicating the lids you have shown.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Thanks John,

I whole heartly agree with your comment, its a pity old Ted isnt around anymore he could have put us right on a lot of things.
I am really glad you have better searching ability than me and that my lack of progress at the moment means I can try replicating the lids you have shown.

Cheers,
Stephen.

G'day Steve, I don't think I have better search ability than you, I probably just have more time, I must admit that I have looked at a hell of a lot of pics of Steam Drifters, LOL ,

Best regards John,

PS my bunker lids should arrive tomorrow, I will post some pics

618.jpg
Sad to say that when the lids arrived they were too small for what i needed, however I came across these and
although they are bit more of a fancier pattern i kind of like them, this one is 25mm ( one inch Dia ) what do
you guys think,

619.jpg
They also had them in 20mm ( 3/4inch dia ) these ones may be a little on the large size i may have to find a
way to trim them down a bit, I need four of each size,

620.jpg
I will turn a brass rim for them to sit in and drill out the holes to fit handles,

621.jpg
Both sizes sitting on the brass pieces,

best regards john,

Maybe a little late but congratulations with your birthday but also with the progress on the drifter. Love your creativity how you solve thing, a button as a bunker door, just great.

Good to hear your wife is back home, wishing her all the best and a good and speedy recovery.

View attachment 321416
Sad to say that when the lids arrived they were too small for what i needed, however I came across these and
although they are bit more of a fancier pattern i kind of like them, this one is 25mm ( one inch Dia ) what do
you guys think,

View attachment 321417
They also had them in 20mm ( 3/4inch dia ) these ones may be a little on the large size i may have to find a
way to trim them down a bit, I need four of each size,

View attachment 321418
I will turn a brass rim for them to sit in and drill out the holes to fit handles,

View attachment 321419
Both sizes sitting on the brass pieces,

best regards john,

Hi John,

Pity about the lid size.
The button certainly looks like a grippy surface.

Cheers,
Stephen.

630.jpg
Next up was cutting the holes in the overlay planks,I picked this little tool in a charity shop for a dollar,
it wont cut a hole right through but enough to stop the edges breaking away whilst cutting and sanding out the middle part,

631.jpg
this is the business end, a point to rotate on and an adjustable arm with a small cutter in the end,

633.jpg
I cut out a square section and then my dremel to shape the hole, test fitting along the way,

634.jpg
they came out fairly neatly,

635.jpg
and with the four large rings and holders in place, these are not glued yet as i have to fit handles and blacken them,

636.jpg
this is approx where they will sit,

637.jpg
overall view,

638.jpg
and a close up of the small ones, these sit proud of the deck and have to have a framing covering the whole area,

thanks for looking in,

Best regards John,

Last edited:
Maybe a little late but congratulations with your birthday but also with the progress on the drifter. Love your creativity how you solve thing, a button as a bunker door, just great.

Good to hear your wife is back home, wishing her all the best and a good and speedy recovery.
Thank you Maarten for the nice comments.

My Admiral is back in Hospital again, she came out Friday and went back in Tuesday, they have to do more test etc to try and find out what is happening.

best regards john.

Back