and a close up,

View attachment 301669
and one final view of the inside,

thank you for looking in,

best regards John,
Dear John
it's looks beautiful work , well done :)Thumbsup

I have NOT spotted any mistakes...;)
The top rail which was the template should have been removed and filling pieces placed between the stanchions, but i decided to leave it in place and will run the top rail over the top of it, it means I will have to do the same with all the other stanchions as well, it just means that the bulwarks will de approx 2.5mm higher than they should be,

best regards john,

579.jpg

The top rail which was the template should have been removed and filling pieces placed between the stanchions, but i decided to leave it in place and will run the top rail over the top of it, it means I will have to do the same with all the other stanchions as well, it just means that the bulwarks will de approx 2.5mm higher than they should be,

best regards john,

View attachment 301674
without your all-over plan in mind, it would be difficult (if not impossible) to spot. I think this template is absolutely necessary ;)

best regards john,

View attachment 301674
Hi John,

Fantastic work, I was going to say I couldn't see the "mistake" but it looks like I am a day late and a dollar short.
Certainly makes a big difference to the look of the boat.

Cheers,
Stephen.

best regards john,
Hallo John,
I think it will be a good way to leave the template top rail for stability reasons
You have still the possibility to reduce the height of this template with sanding down to a minimum before you add the final permanent rail.
With this you have the possibility to reduce the 2,5mm to maybe 1mm

without your all-over plan in mind, it would be difficult (if not impossible) to spot. I think this template is absolutely necessary ;)
Not only a like this time, just need to say: Great skills, this is a difficult part of the ship to get it right. And you nailed it. First Place Metal
Hi John,

Fantastic work, I was going to say I couldn't see the "mistake" but it looks like I am a day late and a dollar short.
Certainly makes a big difference to the look of the boat.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Hallo John,
I think it will be a good way to leave the template top rail for stability reasons
You have still the possibility to reduce the height of this template with sanding down to a minimum before you add the final permanent rail.
With this you have the possibility to reduce the 2,5mm to maybe 1mm
Wonderful looking build John, I particularly like that unique looking stern.
Thanks guys for all the comments and likes and some good idea's,

best regards John.

583.jpg
a couple of views after trimming back the excess wood and a good sanding,

584.jpg
a closer look, sorry its a bit blurry,

585.jpg
and a rear view, still need a little bit of filler and another sanding,

586.jpg
thats the last of the rounded plank added to both sides,

587.jpg
and a close up view,

thanks again for looking in,

best regards John.

View attachment 301842
a couple of views after trimming back the excess wood and a good sanding,

View attachment 301843
a closer look, sorry its a bit blurry,

View attachment 301844
and a rear view, still need a little bit of filler and another sanding,

View attachment 301845
thats the last of the rounded plank added to both sides,

View attachment 301846
and a close up view,

thanks again for looking in,

best regards John.
Hi John,

This is only my opinion, but go easy on the filler. From photos of Tug sterned drifters the stern planking is quite visible, in that the planks are quite noticeable and not nicely blended.

Looking very nice all trimmed up.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi John,

This is only my opinion, but go easy on the filler. From photos of Tug sterned drifters the stern planking is quite visible, in that the planks are quite noticeable and not nicely blended.

Looking very nice all trimmed up.

Cheers,
Stephen.

G'day Steve, I believe what you are referring to was a slight rebate on one edge of each vertical plank, once I have the planks right, I'm looking at a way to clamp a small steel rule at the edge of each plank and somehow scribe a fine line that will highlight each plank join, I'm just a bit frightened that I might stuff it all up, might glue a few planks together off the ship and practice a bit
Best regards John,

G'day again Steve, I was originally thinking of including the rebate with each plank but when I offered up several planks to check for fit I found that with all the angles and curves etc some of the planks would stand proud at either the top or bottom of the next plank and they just didn't look right, it only needs a very slight rebate it might even work with just a dull pointed rounded tool run down each joint, gonna practice with a couple of things,
Best regards John,

G'day again Steve, I was originally thinking of including the rebate with each plank but when I offered up several planks to check for fit I found that with all the angles and curves etc some of the planks would stand proud at either the top or bottom of the next plank and they just didn't look right, it only needs a very slight rebate it might even work with just a dull pointed rounded tool run down each joint, gonna practice with a couple of things,
Best regards John,
G'day John,
Yeah that sounds like a plan. Not an easy one in my opinion, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
Stephen.

592.jpg
the first of the rails going on, this is the piece cut out, I then soaked it in hot water for approx 5 minutes,

594.jpg
I then clamped it in place and let it dry, while it was drying I did the same for the other side,

595.jpg
Thats all the rails in place now,

596.jpg
Still some cleaning up to do, I'm going to glue a veneer plank around the inside of the rails and also on top of the rails, but before I do I have to decide if I am going to paint the inside of the bulwarks or just varnish them, I have decided to leave the stern vertical planking the way it is, I dont think it is worth the risk to try and score a line down each plank joint,

597.jpg
and a few views from different angles,

598.jpg

599.jpg

once again thank you for looking in,

best regards John,

Back