The next plank I attach is the one next to the keel, the garboard plank,

224.jpg
this one will need a good twist in it so I got out my Steamer,

225.jpg
and after steaming and clamping in place,

226.jpg
close up view,

227.jpg
second plank to the garboard, I had run out of 2mm dowell and with having this virus I could not go out, so I found
some small brass pins and started to use them, the tops should just sand away, and the hull will probably fibre
glassed anyway, or at the very least painted,

228.jpg
a better view with the clamps removed,

229.jpg
building up the side planking,

230.jpg
and the same pic, only this is inverted,

Big catastrophe, I was taking the hull out to the shed so I could cut some more planks for her, and I tripped, the starboard side of the hull hit the concrete topping of a garden wall which destroyed six planks just forward of midships, so I am in the middle of repairing the damage, I will post some photos as soon as I have repaired her,

Best regards John,

Big catastrophe, I was taking the hull out to the shed so I could cut some more planks for her, and I tripped, the starboard side of the hull hit the concrete topping of a garden wall which destroyed six planks just forward of midships, so I am in the middle of repairing the damage, I will post some photos as soon as I have repaired her,

Best regards John,
Hi John,

Most important are you ok?
This ship is a workhorse anyway so a dent couldn t harm it.

my Admiral bought me an early birthday present,

View attachment 237831
this is the saw boxed up, it comes with a stand and also side and rear tables, cost of the saw was AUD 190, which
I thought was a great deal considering it come with three blades,

View attachment 237832
I will only attach the rear table extension, and I will not attach the legs as i have a bench that is just the right height
for the saw to sit on,

View attachment 237833
another couple of views,

View attachment 237834
it came with one blade fitted and two spare blades as well, on the right of the pic you can see the two side table
extensions and one of the legs,

View attachment 237835
it has a nice tight fence that you can use in two positions for smaller pieces or larger pieces, it also has rise and fall
function and also beveling

View attachment 237836
when I set up the fence and took it tight up against the blade the
marker showed spot on zero,

View attachment 237837
my Admiral really spoilt me, she also bought me a 125mm 5 speed sander, cost was AUD 50, which I thought
was another great bargain,

View attachment 237838
and a couple of pics,

View attachment 237839
Hello John, You are a very lucky guy to have such a generous Admiral, These new toys sure do look wonderful and I am sure that you will put them to good use. Please say hello to your Admiral from us up here in Canada. She sure has very nice taste in new tools to keep you happy. Have been going to catch up on your great build log but there is so much going on now with preparing for our spring vacation, or should I say my Admirals get away Birthday week. Will catch up on your build on our return as there is no internet up at the Byers Lodge on the French River.
Regards Lawrence

As much as you worried about your pride...if you are not healthy enough, the pride will be on hold! Most important you are OK, and please be careful... ;)

Hello John, Tried to post on your build log this AM but for some unknown reason it did not post. Your Admiral is very generous to give you such very nice toys to play with, and I am sure that you will put these new tools to a very good use in your Old Ship Yard. Please say hello to your Admiral for us and for being so kind to you.
I have been thinking of catching up on your build but there is so much going on at this time up here in Canada. Trying to get things together for my Admirals spring Birthday trip up to the Byers Lodge on the French River. They do not have internet up there so I will catch up on your build on our return.
Regards Lawrence

Hello John, Tried to post on your build log this AM but for some unknown reason it did not post. Your Admiral is very generous to give you such very nice toys to play with, and I am sure that you will put these new tools to a very good use in your Old Ship Yard. Please say hello to your Admiral for us and for being so kind to you.
I have been thinking of catching up on your build but there is so much going on at this time up here in Canada. Trying to get things together for my Admirals spring Birthday trip up to the Byers Lodge on the French River. They do not have internet up there so I will catch up on your build on our return.
Regards Lawrence

Thank you for your kind words I will relay to my Admiral, and also wish your Admiral a Happy Birthday from us and we hope you enjoy your trip, catch up later,

best regards John,

231.jpg
Well this was leading up to the accident, I had just inserted the the final lower bow plank, and ev thing was going well,

232.jpg
Then came the trip going to the shed, the area that was damaged was the area to the back of the frame
marked with an X and also on top of the frame, luckily the damage localized to this area, some of the
planks cracked and split through,

233.jpg
So I decided to cut out the planks to each side, and sanded back the frame to allow me to glue some
support pieces in,

234.jpg
a closer look,

235.jpg
then I cut back every other plank then glued a new plank across the bottom as support,

236.jpg
I also finished the planking above the cut planks, then I filled in where the damaged planks had been,

237.jpg
all done, hopefully when it has had a good sanding it will all be OK, I just
clamped some dry planks over the area to help keep the hull shape as it drys,

thanks for looking in and all the comments and the likes,

best regards John,

Last edited:
Hallo John,
sorry to hear about this damage on your model, sh.... happens
Your repair works are looking good - so at the end, it will be just for remember

Hallo John,
sorry to hear about this damage on your model, sh.... happens
Your repair works are looking good - so at the end, it will be just for remember
Thank you Uwe for the nice comment's, it was good that I let the boat go, otherwise I might have hurt myself,

Best regards John,

Back