Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

238.jpg
this how the repair turned out,

239.jpg
I had a spare set of deck plans, so I decided to spot glue them to the deck for cutting out the hatches, and it also
enabled me to get my hands inside to help with the last planks,

240.jpg
the rear hatch cut out,

241.jpg
another view, when I rig up my steering servo I will have it below the deck, on the actual ship they had steering chains
coming out of the sides of the wheel house and running in tubes back down to tiller, I will still show these,

242.jpg
and this is the forward hatch,

Last edited:
243.jpg
after cutting the hatches it was back to closing up the planking around the propeller boss,
this consisted of a lot of trimming, steaming and bending,

244.jpg
and the way it ended up,

245.jpg
bit of a closer look, still has to have some more sanding etc,

246.jpg
then it was onto the port side,

247.jpg

Last edited:
248.jpg
closing up the starboard side, and the Royal William waiting patiently in the background for some attention,

249.jpg
just about there,

250.jpg
I was watching a program on the TV and this pic came up, she looks exactly like LT100,

251.jpg
this is the last few planks on the stern,

252.jpg
and how she is looking now,

thank you for looking in,

best regards John,

Last edited:
John, this is stunning work - the Royal William can still wait for a while! I can only imagine how much massaging of planks that must have taken to close her up around the propeller box and to do it so neatly.

245.jpg

This section, in particular, must have made you think a few choice thoughts! ;)

This is hopefully a build log that i will be commencing shortly, it is of the Steam Drifter Formidable at 1/20 scale, this build log has been inspired by Steves fantastic build, see it here,
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...r-trawler-formidable-lt100-1-24th-scale.6093/

I am still thinking about this scale as at 1/20 scale it makes a very large model which comes out at 57inches long X 11.5inches width,

and at 1/24 scale it is still a large model 48inches long X 10inches width,

Luckily I took the safe guard of enlarging the plans to both 1/20 and 1/24 scale, so I will have to do a little bit of comparing so as to see which size I can comfortably fit in the car, below are some photo's which show the plans at 1/20 scale laid out in front of my Royal William which is 55inches long just for comparision, the Royal william is planked with Huon Pine and the wales are Tasmanian Myrtle, I am not sure yet what I will plank Formidable with,

View attachment 192614
Side elevation,

View attachment 192615
side and plan views,

View attachment 192616
close up with my hand shows how large at 1/20 scale, but it would be lovely size to work at,

View attachment 192617
and a stern view, this build may take awhile to progress as I have a few more ships in the dockyard yet to be finished,
any questions or comments welcomed,

best regards john

Hallo John alias @neptune
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your very special day - It is your 75th !!!
Birthday-Cake

Well..., John, today is yours! Why not have the happiest one!! Birthday-Cake Happy Birthday and many more years of happy and healthy life!

Birthday-CakePopcornExclamation-MarkBottleGold StarHappy birthday John! Like @Canoe21 Lawrence always says: "May you get the biggest slice of cake of today!"

Back