Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

Big catastrophe, I was taking the hull out to the shed so I could cut some more planks for her, and I tripped, the starboard side of the hull hit the concrete topping of a garden wall which destroyed six planks just forward of midships, so I am in the middle of repairing the damage, I will post some photos as soon as I have repaired her,

Best regards John,
Planks would seem as more easily replaced than if the frames had been broken. . . that would be a major calamity while the planks should taken as an unintended setback of time but probably not in your finished work. I'll bet that an outsider would never know or see those replaced planks. Rich (PT-2)

Thank you Jim, it seems a shame to cover it with Fibre Glass, but she will be going on the pond so I want to make sure she is fully waterproof,
I am not an expert in RC models, but let's say you build the fiberglass or Epoxy layer inside the hull, and then expose nice planking with paint, would this suffice as the waterproof? I am curious...

I am not an expert in RC models, but let's say you build the fiberglass or Epoxy layer inside the hull, and then expose nice planking with paint, would this suffice as the waterproof? I am curious...
You could probably do it that way Jim, but it would be awkward getting the fibre glass matting in, and also the original drifters usually had two or three coats of hot tar applied to the hulls, so you wouldn't see much of the planking anyway,

best regards John,

Without pigmentation a clear fiberglass covering should show the planking very well in my estimation. Rich (PT-2)
G'day Rich, as I was saying to Jim, the original drifters usually had two or three coats of hot tar applied to the hulls, so you wouldn't see much of the planking anyway, it would be different if I was building it as a Presentation model with parts of the hull left open, then maybe I would leave it as bare wood, but seeing as it will probably end up on the pond, I will be glassing and painting her,

best regards John,

Here are a couple of pics of a model I built back in the mid 1980's, it is the bare wood one, a model from the plans of Vic Smeed, a model of the Pathfinder a Pilot boat she is 1.650mm long, or 5Feet 6inches, the lower hull was built on the bread and butter system, the bow and the stern were horizontal bread and butter layers and the central section was vertical bread and butter, then the topsides were plank on bulkhead with a block of wood carved for the bow and also the stern, the first two pics show her with bare wood, and the two on the pool after fibre glassing, after the tests on the pool I painted her, the other painted tug boat is my friends model,

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of a model I built back in the mid 1980's, it is the bare wood one, a model from the plans of Vic Smeed, a model of the Pathfinder a Pilot boat she is 1.650mm long, or 5Feet 6inches, the lower hull was built on the bread and butter system, the bow and the stern were horizontal bread and butter layers and the central section was vertical bread and butter, then the topsides were plank on bulkhead with a block of wood carved for the bow and also the stern, the first two pics show her with bare wood, and the two on the pool after fibre glassing, the painted tug boat is my friends model,

View attachment 244931

View attachment 244932

View attachment 244933

View attachment 244934

I like the painted hull best as it is not logical that an actual ship would bare wood, only some models. Rich

I like the painted hull best as it is not logical that an actual ship would bare wood, only some models. Rich
G'day Rich, I didn't explain it very clearly, the Photo's are just showing the progress of the build, first off she is built of wood, next shows her on the pool after being fibreglassed just testing that there are no leaks, then when I was sure all was OK, she was painted,

Best regards John,

Hi John,
Your comment about Vic Smeed has brought back many happy memories of his magazine articles in the model boats publication.

G'day Brian, yes he used to publish a lot of plans and how to do articles, very helpful and interesting stuff,

best regards John,

20210722_195909.jpg
I have now received my two R/C transmitters and Receivers from China, cost of each Set was AUD 44 including post, both the transmitters and receivers have built in antenna and only use 4 AA batteries for power,

20210722_200030.jpg
Transmitter and receiver,

20210722_200035.jpg
And a close up of the receiver, these two sets will be used on the Steam Drifter and the Swimmershorn Pilot Boat,

Hello John,
My son is in Southampton again at his PHD and asked him to buy the book FROM TREE TO SEA The Building of a Wooden Steam Drifter
you get the building plans from book or you buyed them from other source?
Kind regards,Daniel

Hello John,
My son is in Southampton again at his PHD and asked him to buy the book FROM TREE TO SEA The Building of a Wooden Steam Drifter
you get the building plans from book or you buyed them from other source?
Kind regards,Daniel

G'day Daniel, I bought them from England but I'm not sure where, Iwill check in the morning and let you know, what scale will you build at,

Best regards John,

G'day Daniel, I bought them from England but I'm not sure where, Iwill check in the morning and let you know, what scale will you build at,

Best regards John,

G'day Daniel, when I first started building the LT100, I said that I had lost my first set of plans so I bought another set, I have now found the first set, the scale is 1/33, if you would like this set send me a private message with your full name and address and I will send them to you,

Best regards John,

Back