Stove, galley, oven, firehearth, chimney - tech. details and development over time at different navies

The Brodie Stove of the HMS Victory from the book by Arthur Bugler

IMG_25731.jpg

and the information of the stove given by McGowen and McKay

IMG_25591.jpg

From the book
THE HISTORY OF THE FRENCH FRIGATE 1650-1850
by Jean Boudriot & Hubert Berti

IMG_27621.jpg

I thought some might be interested in this tutorial on how to build a Brodie stove. The scale is 1:64. I used this as a basis for the 1:32 Brodie stove in my Lauck Street AVS build.

http://hmsfly.com/brodieGalleyStove.html
Hello Dave, Thank you very much for your very detailed plans of the Galley Stove. I have been wondering just how I would go about this and you have made it so much easier for me, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

models in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - both in the public exhibition

aa.JPG
Model of a ship’s galley, anonymous, anonymous, c. 1799 - c. 1820
wood, brass and tinned copper, h 37.7cm × w 48.8cm × d 37.2cm

Food was prepared in the ship’s galley. This model represents how a galley would have looked on French naval ships from around 1799. One side was used to cook for the officers, the other for the rest of the crew. The ideal of equality promoted by the 1789 French Revolution clearly had not yet extended to the French navy.

bb.JPG
Model of a Ship's Galley, G. Kollaard, J. Kollaard, 1836
wood, brass and tinned copper, h 37.3cm × w 66.7cm × d 42.2cm

The ships Galley of the french 12 pdr frigate La Belle Poule (1765) taken from the planset made by Jean Boudriot & Hubert Berti

IMG_38731.jpg

IMG_38771.jpg

IMG_38781.jpg

IMG_38791.jpg

On the ancre web-page, there are very good photos available, showing the amazing model of the Belle Poule, built by Bernard Frölich, and also some details of the top of the galley / chimney.
Frölich is well known for his book
The Art of Shipmodeling / L'ART DU MODELISME / Die Kunst des Modellbaus
which is also available from ancre

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (6).jpg

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (5).jpg

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765.jpg

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (1).jpg

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (2).jpg

la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (3).jpg

Attachments

• la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (4).jpg
    la-belle-poule-fregate-1765 (4).jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi Uwek. Another book that should also help on this search for info on Domestic arrangements which is about Fire hearths and Iron stoves. Peter Goodwin book, The construction and fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 to 1850. The info on stoves is on page 160-163. Gary

This is an interesting topic to me. When I was researching our Great Lakes schooner model, it was easy to find information about the big cooking and heating iron stove in the deck cabin towards the stern. Many wrecks have them visible and you can see the stovepipe in a few old photos. For the crew quarters in the forecastle, however, I talked to various experts and nobody could say how the stove pipe from their little pot bellied stove or Quebec heater was routed. There are not that many period photos of the deck area forward and I couldn't find it in any photos. They definitely existed, but none of the people I communicated with had seen them on wrecks -- they wouldnt survive a sinking.

From the building log of the Printz Friederich

The stove of this ship of the line - fifferent to the often seen Bodie-stove, it is the danish way the stoves were constructed in this time

Once, during my visit of the war museum in Kopenhagen, I made some photos: of a stove model:

DSCN04391.jpg

Stove, galley, oven, firehearth, chimney - tech. details and development over time at different navies

Very cool, Uwe!
shipsofscale.com

This here is a contemporary danish drawing of such a type - smaller one

a1284c.jpg

The type of stove and the size is clearly shown in the original contemporary drawing of the Printz Friederich

2015-05-10-10-23-34-Gü.jpeg

and now we come to the modelingt of the stove

L1030808.JPG

L1030809.JPG

L1030810.JPG

L1030812.JPG

It is a normal and not oversized match !!!
L1030814.JPG

and now the same stove with blackened iron parts

L1030821.JPG

L1030832.JPG

L1030836.JPG

Also very interesting topic was posted by @CaptainsCabin

which I want to add and copy here in this topic - Many Thanks for this interesting and helpful post - BTW: your Brodie is looking very good

By @CaptainsCabin :

This Alexander Brodie Galley Stove 1:64 scale model was scratch built by mistake, as I was advised it was too modern for HMS Fly! The Brodie Stove can be seen on HMS Victory, situated in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, UK. Together with the thumbnail, I have included the research documents I used, a plan of the stove and its construction.

07 - Figure N125.jpg

Attachments

• 08 - Alexander Brodie Stove Figure's Scale 1-1 copy.pdf
    159 KB · Views: 30
  • 09 - Alexander Brodie Galley Stove (Part 1 of 2) copy.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 10 - Alexander Brodie Galley Stove (Part 2 of 2) copy.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 41
from the national archive - USS Constitution

f265t9327p219355n2_QwxcuGpn.jpg

Back