The Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat, launched 1956

Have you visited any of the boneyards in tge Stueben/Milbridge/Jonesport area? The evolution from all wood framing and construction of 1956 to molded fiberglass of 1996 resulted in changes to the working parts. There were also many differences as you came up coast from the MDI builders ti the builders in the downeast yards.

Was your subject strictly trap hauling or also outfitted for scallop dragging?
I have not done any research in those aspects of lobster boats. My build is strictly a sentimental project, based on a specific boat that I sometimes went out on with it's owner, Bill West. Bill was a friend of my parents & grandparents, and he gave me the half-hull model that he used as a pattern for the three boats that he built. The Donald David, named for Bill's son, was the third (and last) boat that Bill built. You are right about the multitude of improvements to lobster boats over the years, but those are not for my model of The Donald David.
Grandmother & Grandfather Haskell had a cottage on Pigeon Hill Rd, not too far from Milbridge. I have been to Eastport a couple times back in the 50's/60's, they had a really great store there with lots antique woodworking tools.
Happy modeling.
Steven.

Sooooo- my carving of rabbets into the keel came to a quick halt when I found errors in the keel that I thought was ready to work on. Fortunately I have plenty of material and it won't take long to do over. I used to work for a guy that often said "just when you get complacent, you have probably overlooked something."
Moving forward, again.
Happy Modeling to all.
Syeven

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Sooooo- my carving of rabbets into the keel came to a quick halt when I found errors in the keel that I thought was ready to work on. Fortunately I have plenty of material and it won't take long to do over. I used to work for a guy that often said "just when you get complacent, you have probably overlooked something."
Moving forward, again.
Happy Modeling to all.
Syeven
Happy Modeling to you too - often it is good to correct - important is to have still fun :cool:

Well, after much delay and annoying roof repairs, I finally have part of the new keel glued up. As soon as I complete it, I can move on to the long awaited setting of temporary frames so I can do the bending of frames and apply the planking.
Happy Modelling!
IMG_3838EC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: