The Donald David, a Maine Lobster Boat, launched 1956

Have you visited any of the boneyards in tge Stueben/Milbridge/Jonesport area? The evolution from all wood framing and construction of 1956 to molded fiberglass of 1996 resulted in changes to the working parts. There were also many differences as you came up coast from the MDI builders ti the builders in the downeast yards.

Was your subject strictly trap hauling or also outfitted for scallop dragging?
I have not done any research in those aspects of lobster boats. My build is strictly a sentimental project, based on a specific boat that I sometimes went out on with it's owner, Bill West. Bill was a friend of my parents & grandparents, and he gave me the half-hull model that he used as a pattern for the three boats that he built. The Donald David, named for Bill's son, was the third (and last) boat that Bill built. You are right about the multitude of improvements to lobster boats over the years, but those are not for my model of The Donald David.
Grandmother & Grandfather Haskell had a cottage on Pigeon Hill Rd, not too far from Milbridge. I have been to Eastport a couple times back in the 50's/60's, they had a really great store there with lots antique woodworking tools.
Happy modeling.
Steven.

Sooooo- my carving of rabbets into the keel came to a quick halt when I found errors in the keel that I thought was ready to work on. Fortunately I have plenty of material and it won't take long to do over. I used to work for a guy that often said "just when you get complacent, you have probably overlooked something."
Moving forward, again.
Happy Modeling to all.
Syeven

Sooooo- my carving of rabbets into the keel came to a quick halt when I found errors in the keel that I thought was ready to work on. Fortunately I have plenty of material and it won't take long to do over. I used to work for a guy that often said "just when you get complacent, you have probably overlooked something."
Moving forward, again.
Happy Modeling to all.
Syeven
Happy Modeling to you too - often it is good to correct - important is to have still fun :cool:

Build Log: The Donald David, a 1956 Maine Lobster Boat
May 27, 2019
Greetings from Steven Haskell.
I am finally starting my build log for a scratch-build of a Maine lobster boat. I’m modeling the Donald David, of Steuben, ME, circa 1956. Donald David (the third of three lobster boats) built by William West when I was 10 years old (I am now 73). It was somewhat innovative in that the frames are steam bent white oak, while most lobster boats at that time were still using built-up frames.
I thought i was being smart by typing several pages of script that I would paste into the thread, but it didn't work as I expected, so I have "attached" the document separately.

I hope this is acceptable.
Have a great day!
Hallo Steven alias @SAHaskell
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello, ALL!
Last week I had catarat surgery, which is doing very well so far. In a couple weeks I expect to be allowed back into my workshop to start making sawdust again. It's been most of a year since I've done anything with the Donald David.

Hello, ALL!
Last week I had catarat surgery, which is doing very well so far. In a couple weeks I expect to be allowed back into my workshop to start making sawdust again. It's been most of a year since I've done anything with the Donald David.
Here is to a speedy recovery and a return to modeling.

Jan

Soooo, it has been about a year of no activity on my lobster boat model. I apologize for such a long absence from my build log. I am hoping to change that soon. I am nearly done building a new cabinet for our TV, so I hope to have time to focus on the model boat now.
Happy modelling,
Steven

Very good news - we missed already the updates - I am looking forward

Greetings to all.
Finally, I am again active with my scratch build model of The Donald David, a real Maine Lobster boat launched in Steuben, ME in 1956. I was 10 years old then.
All that I have, so far, is the keel with prop shaft in place and 10 of the 11 molds required. I am currently working on marking the lines on the stern template. The half-hull model that is the pattern originally used to build the real boat has a "duck tail" stern, but the boat was built with a nearly straight stern. Once I get those lines I will make a brace to hold all the molds in place while I do the framing & planking.
Attached is a photo of the keel with molds 1 through 10 crudely held in place with clothes pins & binder clips.
Happy modeling.
Steven

DSCN3449.JPG

I have run aground for a few days; just had a minor surgery yesterday but should be back in the shop next week. Nothing serious but I have to limit movement & exertion for a few days.
See you soon.
Happy modeling.
Steven

Back