THE MATTHEW / Lumberyard

Nice progress, Don! At this speed, you will accomplish this project soon! The top timbers from the bulkheads made as separate pieces and wood. What is the reason for this? Will you expose them without planking?

Nice progress, Don! At this speed, you will accomplish this project soon! The top timbers from the bulkheads made as separate pieces and wood. What is the reason for this? Will you expose them without planking?

when you go back and look at the pictures of the Matthew you will see the inside of the bulwarks are not planked so the top timbers are showing. Because the bulkheads are plywood when I designed the model I did not want those exposed timbers to be plywood but rather a solid timber

when you go back and look at the pictures of the Matthew you will see the inside of the bulwarks are not planked so the top timbers are showing. Because the bulkheads are plywood when I designed the model I did not want those exposed timbers to be plywood but rather a solid timber
Thanks Dave!

this to Daves, more progress pictures just 6 more to go on the stern, Dave am I on the right track do you see anything that is wrong, last picture of my new ADMIRAL, only 1 year old, affectionate and into everthing, my last little one passed at 20 years old, my Gradsons and my Daughter suprised me with him my Grandsons named him MOSES

20190204_182018[4082].jpg20190204_181732[4083].jpg20190204_181559[4084].jpg20190130_160757[4085].jpg

Thanks Dave, also did you get my message about the missing bulkheads and the top timbers, will give them to you again, (UPPER TIMBERS Nos. 22 and 23 not on the 2 boards, and THE BULKHEADS Nos. 22,23, AND 24 not in the 2 bags, would this be a problem. THANKS AGAIN for EVERYTHING Don

ok don lets see if we can get this going right

first thing I did was check the laser cutting file to see what bulkheads are there there is a 22 and a 23 there is no bulkhead 24 so either I left it off OR there never was one

cut file.JPG

next I checked my original mock up of the hull there is no bulkhead 24

3062corrected.jpg

looking at the stern bulkhead 22 and 23 rest against each other so there is no top timber for 23

3045.stern.jpg3048.jpg3050.jpg

Hi Dave, I think I screwed up on one item I have bulkhead No.22 but no bulkhead No. 23 or 24 the sheet with the top timbers mine ends at No. 21, I can cut out from the plans bulkhead No. 24 if you give me the thickness of material I should have some scrape plywood hope fully but not able to do bulkhead No.23, have been haveing a bad day today nothing works for me today will put everthing aside and start again tomorrow, if you could do top timber No.22 it will help, how does my filler pieces look. Don

ok I got it figured out

I built the first prototype then after that Jeff drew a set of plans

you kept looking for bulkhead 24 and I could not find a 24 because my prototype has 23 bulkheads

finished side view.jpgfull deck view.jpg

the reason Jeffs drawings do not match the prototype build is because he did his drawing long after I built my prototype. In time the project got set aside and never developed into a final building project. If this project were finished it would have been noticed Jeff's drawings are different from the model and corrections would have been made. As a matter of fact looking back on my mockup and my built bulkhead hull bulkhead 22 was moved forward slightly.

Jeff's hull drawings with 24 bulkheads and my prototype hull with 23 bulkheads both end up with the same hull.

Ok everyone, back to this build received the corected parts from Dave have installed them (PUTTING ASIDE THE BLANFORD FOR A WEEK OR TWO, spent many hours on it like how the main deck turned out in comparison to the lower deck) so needed a break and will work on both the PHILADELPHIA GUNBOAT and THE MATTHEW, here are some progress pictures, was going to sand the filler pieces and the frames to shape wanted to do it outside today was quite cold so maybe in a couple o

20190331_003211[4515].jpg20190331_003323[4514].jpg20190331_005210[4513].jpg20190331_005409[4512].jpg20190331_005454[4511].jpg

Back