The other Eric's HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1:48 - Scratch build

Fimally a little progress on my Blandford. Lower deck beams shaped and cut with mortises for the carlings. I still have to cut and shape the arm beam, but his is hust a dry fit before we attempt that. Ive had to redo these all a few times, but it's looking much better on this go.20201019_173434.jpg

20201019_173430.jpg

20201019_173344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have glued the mast foot and the deck beams you will have problems pushing the shotkabinet under the lower deck, I have tried this myself, therefore the mast foot on my model is still loose until further notice.
Just thinking of mentioning it, regards-

If you have glued the mast foot and the deck beams you will have problems pushing the shotkabinet under the lower deck, I have tried this myself, therefore the mast foot on my model is still loose until further notice.
Just thinking of mentioning it, regards-
Yeah, good call. The mast step is easily popped free, so I'll be alright.

I'm about to trim the top hull timbers. Anything I should be aware of, or does someone have suggestions on how best to do that---besides "very carefully"?

Nice job!

Regarding trimming the bulwark: Just mark the cut line on the outboard side of the frames and cut each frame carefully with a razor saw, being careful to keep the blade horizontal. I cut mine slightly tall so I could sand it fair and get it fine tuned. Since you're going to plank the inboard and outboard bulwarks you have some wiggle room. If you cut off too much of a particular frame, just shim it up to where it needs to be. No one will see it!

I would also refer to the profile view of the plans as there is a very slight rise or slope. Like Doc said leave a little to fine tune.

Back