The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Daniel,
You're getting a lot of sage advice - far be it for me to "add" though I will say that I agree with Dean62 regarding pearwood. I should be painting
the hull on my current build white - but that would be a "crime against nature" ROTF:eek:
You chose an awesome kit. Your work is excellent - perfect choice....
Well there is a shade of red I've seen used on the hull which is striking. I know I will be torn on this one.

Great progress Daniel! I first glued frame one, and the last frame before the half frames at the stern, to the keel. Then I glued those two frames and keel to the jig as a sub assembly. Then I started gluing frames one by one to the keel and jig. Something to consider. ;)
When you glued the set-up pieces to the keel, did you glue that assembly to the jig before the keel/frame glue up had hardened? My thought was to set the two frames glued to the jig, plumbed & squared then glue in the keel on them.

When you glued the set-up pieces to the keel, did you glue that assembly to the jig before the keel/frame glue up had hardened? My thought was to set the two frames glued to the jig, plumbed & squared then glue in the keel on them.
I actually glued the frames (1 and 49) to the keel first, then glued them to the jig. You can do it either way. ;)

Hi Daniel. I started with frame 1 and 49 in the jig and than the keel on them.
Then the halfs 50 and 55 for vertical alignment. Then 25, 13 and 37 with lengthwise alignment and let is fully dried.
I used this sequence because:
Other than the manual, I've followed the advice in a interesting post from Dave @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) in the Druid build-log from Donnie @Donnie :
Special this lines:
“Never ever start at one end and work you way to the other end.
I will always set the midship frame up and the last whole frame forward and aft. Then set up a frame between midship and those last whole frames. Then I will fill in the rest of the frames.”
Working from one end to the other gives a higher change to a warped / twisted keel.
But feel free to choose the sequence you like the best.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,
Once again, I do not have anything different from my post last week other than a little more progress. I'm really just here to say hello. I have all the frames assembled now (55 each). Just 8 left to perform the initial sanding with 220 grit then I will go back through all of them with 320 grit and begin the installation onto the keel. After a thorough dry fit of course.

IMG_2434.jpg
Until next time, happy modeling!

My friend, your progress may be little by your standards, but it is 100% better than my "progress". Excellent work and just keep at it, when you have the time.

Good afternoon all,
Once again, I do not have anything different from my post last week other than a little more progress. I'm really just here to say hello. I have all the frames assembled now (55 each). Just 8 left to perform the initial sanding with 220 grit then I will go back through all of them with 320 grit and begin the installation onto the keel. After a thorough dry fit of course.

View attachment 364839
Hello Daniel. All looking ready for action Thumbsup . Cheers Grant

Good afternoon all,

View attachment 364839
It’s all about preparation, Daniel. And that is looking very nice. Almost ready for the big merge.
Regards, Peter.

My friend, your progress may be little by your standards, but it is 100% better than my "progress". Excellent work and just keep at it, when you have the time.
Thanks for the uplift, Heinrich, I hope you get your much needed trip to your homeland soon.

Back