Titanic 1/350 MiniCraft Kit build

I was looking at the kit provided railings and using them as patterns. I finished the benches too. It was a good thing I got the etching bender tool from the Small Company. There were some for less online but they were made in China so I went with the Small Company.
Not only is this kit warped badly, the directions could have been better. Those for the PE were terribly hard to read.
Not really satisfied with this kit. I do think it had to have been stored near a heat source to be so badly warped. I hope the end result is as good as yours.
I am not sure what you mean by using the kit supplied railings as patterns. They are all just straight stock that needs cut and bending as well - at least that is what I have in my kit. My kit is the "Deluxe" version that came with PE. It is thicker gauge than what I got from Tom's Model works.

The directions I got with my kit have patterns for cutting out the railings. They showed the plastic railings so I substituted the PE for the plastic.
Tom's were much better than the kit supplied.

The directions I got with my kit have patterns for cutting out the railings. They showed the plastic railings so I substituted the PE for the plastic.
Tom's were much better than the kit supplied.
See my earlier posts and pictures. Those patterns don't match the ship.

I thought the worst was behind me when I did the rails for the Officer's quarters roof. The 1st class lounge proved to be more of a challenge.

titanic 411.JPGtitanic 412.JPG

Below are the railings attached to 1st class lounge

titanic 413.JPGtitanic 414.JPG

Then I realized that I hadn't made allowance for the stairways! It would have been much easier to form the rails in smaller sections. Not to mention the pain of cutting out the openings after they where attached. After going back and reviewing the instructions on page 13, I can see where they showed the gaps for the stairs. I interpreted them as being separate pieces to go around corners. Live and learn, move on. Anyway I am pleased with the final results:

titanic 415.JPGtitanic 416.JPG

Do you have a valid web link to "the small company online" ?

When I goggled it came up with several business, none were for model work.

All the lines in between are printed.

I'm looking at this set from Shipyardworks. I've seen pictures posted on Facebook. The lines are scribed in the wood. They are also more affordable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shipyardworks-1-350-Wooden-Deck-RMS-TITANIC-for-MINICRAFT-11315-350048/173812495834?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I can't really say anything about any of these products except ScaleDecks as I have never used wood decks before. This is my first ship build not counting stuff I did as a kid. I was very pleased with the product and their instructions. I do like that ScaleDecks is made in USA. I will pay more just for that. But that's just me.

I can't really say anything about any of these products except ScaleDecks as I have never used wood decks before. This is my first ship build not counting stuff I did as a kid. I was very pleased with the product and their instructions. I do like that ScaleDecks is made in USA. I will pay more just for that. But that's just me.
I kind of feel the same way. I saw the other ones on E-Bay for a much cheaper price and they also have adhesive on the back side. I'm just considering them but I might just go for the ones from Scale Decks.

Plodding along doing railings. I added the steps first on these. That made it much easier.

t-400.JPG
I fretted over how to do these, bend as one piece or separate. I ended up doing in separate sections. That puts the posts on the corners and at the ends. not much real estate to attach to on these (circled in blue) . most so far have had about a 1mm ledge.

t-401.JPG

Stay away from the decks with adhesive, they are harder to position properly and difficult to adjust.
I second that! I don't have direct experience with pre-adhesive decks but I have a lot of experience applying stickers to toys. Once they are in place, they stay in place. Gorilla Wood Glue works great on ScaleDecks. Just paint it on and slap the decking down. you have plenty of time to move/adjust and the excess wipes up easily with a damp Q-Tip or similar tool. Don't worry about getting it in your hair either - this Gorilla glue is water soluble.

Back