To Constitution and beyond ...

Until now, the bottleneck in rigging the guns were the blocks: There were almost no small ones, and if there were, they were often difficult in appearance or quality.

Recently, I have test rigged my smallest self-printed blocks times and noticed that fine thin and steady surgeon hands are needed, including good visual reinforcements And I realized that suddenly I am the bottleneck ...

gun-rigging-220409_2381.jpg

Here the measure of things was the thinnest rope I needed in 1:100, 0.2 mm diameter. Something for the filigran ones among us :)

Now the pragmatist in me came out again. According to the old literature I need for the guns in 1:100 / 1:98 the diameter off 0,3- 0,4 mm for the ropes for the lanjards of the side- and back tackles. The 0.4 mm rope is also a common thickness for Gondesen and other suppliers in the aftermarket. So a block combination on this rope thickness is required, and also a good method in which this is done quickly and with good visual results.

It has cost me a few attempts, meanwhile I have found the right variant for myself.

First a normal classical knot to tie the hook in ...

Pulleys-221128_8285.jpg

... then the whole thing tightened to the back, in order to make the hook sit well in the middle ...

Pulleys-221128_8286.jpg

... spreading the ends again and ...

Pulleys-221128_8287.jpg

... put the block of choice ready.

Pulleys-221128_8267.jpg

Then clamped the hook between my fingers, used a toothpick to make a drop of super glue in the middle on the knot of the hook and centered the block on it.

Pulleys-221128_8289.jpg

Don't let go of the hook now, but detached it would look like this.

Pulleys-221128_8275.jpg

This is just the positioning guide to superglue the groove on the side with the toothpick on one side and pull the rope well over it.

Pulleys-221128_8290.jpg

Do not grab the glued area, but pull on the free end. This works quite well without the whole thing forming an inseparable bond with the builder.
Then glue the groove on the other side, pull the rope over it accordingly and make sure that the pull is even and the hook hangs centrally over the block.

Pulleys-221128_8291.jpg

Then glue the bottom of the block with the toothpick and pull the ends against each other, cut off the excess diagonally, and press the two slanted ends against each other with tweezers or pliers, securing again with glue if necessary.

Pulleys-221128_8291b.jpg

And then you already have it in your hand, the rigged double block :)

Pulleys-221128_8270.jpg

If you want you can strop the bridge between hook block a little bit, but I noticed that it doesn't help that much, so I made it easy for myself here.

By the way, here is my first attempt, you can still see it somehow crooked, and the one after that, you can see, practice makes perfect ;-)

Pulleys-221128_8284.jpg

With the single block it is the same, thread hook on the rope, knot, pull back, spread, hook between the fingers, glue in the middle, block on it to secure, glue the side and pull rope over it, glue the other side and pull over it, and now the difference, on the bottom a knot and secured with glue.

Pulleys-221128_8294.jpg

Then the free end stropped up, glued and cut tight ...

Pulleys-221128_8295.jpg

... and the pair of block is ready :)

Pulleys-221128_8297.jpg

And the other two pairs came together quite quickly, so I soon had a set of three ready for my gun setup.

Pulleys-221128_8299.jpg

And as I said, no other tools or jigs were needed than a toothpick as a super glue applicator, I only used a pair of self-clamping tweezers on my bench vice to srop on the free end of the single block.

Pulleys-221128_8298.jpg

All the best, DAniel

Welcome to the Jungle!

Attentive observers had already discovered the hull of the USS Constitution in my shrubbery for some time.

But who now expects a FITZCARALDOOOO downhill is wrong for the time being, it actually goes on in a civilised way
;-)

The kit has been lying around for quite a while, as it is really great in many aspects, such as the hull, but in others it does not fully meet its own claims, especially with regard to the guns.

What could be more obvious than to choose these guns after the purchase of a new printer and to program them in a contemporary correct way. The results were promising ...

... and with a little colour quite convincing ...

... especially compared to the originals from the kit
:-)

Grandpa, what big fingers you have
;-)

Hallo my friend Daniel alias @dafi
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday, Daniel! Birthday-CakeBeer:D wish you all the best and happiness!
Working with such a scale is already challenging, you are doing a great job rigging the cannons. well done OkayExclamation-Mark

Thank you all!

In between all the X-Mess preparations, I actually managed to get down to business again :)

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8308.jpg

First it was about taking the measurements.

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8309.jpg

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8311.jpg

That means at the back the blocks must not overlap ...

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8312.jpg

... and the front position determines the length of the lanyard

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8313.jpg

And always the anxious question about the side rigging. After the shot in the retracted position and enough rope for 3 to 5 men to pull, yes there is quite a bit of rope left when the piece is run out again.

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8316.jpg

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8322.jpg

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8326.jpg

But if no one pulls the ropes, it isd mostely displayed directly as running into coils lying on the deck. That has two flaws: First, so the gun can move by itself and slide inward. In addition, the rope is shown mostly in a stretched position that would never be able to run smoothly into the coils, as it obeys gravity that pulls it.

So if no sailor is at hand and secures the free ends, the rope should be secured to the gun, the tackle or the ship's side. On my Vic I had made a half hitch around the aft end of the side tackles, Boudriot shows the "amarage simple" around the cascable. The first attempt went wrong, as at Boudriot there was no splice over the cascable as the breechline goes through the gun carriage, and there it worked well. After some research I found a reference, where the lanyard was led under the eye splice of the breech.

Antoine_Morel-Fatio_pl10.jpg

So the free end around the cascable, some turns as required ...

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8327.jpg
as

... and the rest as a bunch neatly arranged on one of the hooks.

Constitution-battle-station_221204_8329.jpg

So everything should be neatly tidied up and secured.

XXXDAn

your ship is moving on the waves ...... nice idea with the gimmick
and very good work

In addition to the figurehead of the Victory, I also made some progress with the battle station of the Constitution. First attached the eyebolts for the carronade's gun rig.

Constitution-battle-station-221227_4555.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221227_4558.jpg

To determine the length of the tackles I again documented the different positions.

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4573.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4572.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4571.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4570.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4568.jpg

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4569.jpg

In the last two pictures, it can be seen that the hooks for the tackles are too close to each other to work effectively because the angle is too tight. That's why two more eyebolts are needed further out.

Constitution-battle-station-221229_4567.jpg

While this position is technically possible, I think it is a special case that can be well achieved with handspikes if needed.

To tie the breechline, I built a small rigging aid. Hammered in two nails spaced at width of the eyebolts and fixed the carronade in maximum aft position. Then tied the two rope eyes, nice and tight around the nails.

Constitution-Carronades-230102_4583.jpg

After tying the eye, just pulled them out over the top of the nail, bent the rings up from the eyebolts on the bulwark, removed them, slid them through the eye of the rope, bent them closed again a bit, and reattached them to the bulwark in the eyebolt.

Constitution-Carronades-230102_4577.jpg

Looks like this then :)

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4608.jpg

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4593.jpg

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4603.jpg

XXXDAn

Last edited:
Dear Dafi
wonderful work on the figurehead of the Victory, it's looks beautiful, well done my dear friend Beer :D Thumbsup

Thank you Shota! Also the others for the likes :)

Then attached the hammock cranes with the netting.

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4617.jpg

Mounted the white net in the cardboard frame and first primed it with white and then colored it slightly brown.

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4613.jpg

Then inserted two strips of paper as a convenient insertion aid and inserted the net with a wooden core.

Constitution-Carronades-230103_4618.jpg

Then on the outside, fixed the net with super glue at points, widened the core so that the net fits well on the inside of the holders, and also fixed the back side of the net at points. Then removed the core, glued the net well to the top rope and trimmed everything well with the pointed scissors.

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4630.jpg

After that, some more trimming was done and next comes the hammocks.

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4632.jpg

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4633.jpg

XXXDAn

beautiful work. Simply magnificent but being new to the site I have a few questions so here goes:
1) who are you?
2) A modeler or/and a manufacture of parts
3} USS Constitution scale?
4} What kit?
And I'm sure I'll have more questions as I follow along.

Hello Will,

1 - simply a dafi :)
2 - I am a modeller in first place. That is why I like to research and try out. If stuff prooves to be good, i sell the parts too.
3 + 4 - This small trial is preparation for the Revell Conny 1:98

All the best, Daniel

The dimensions of the hammocks are well known. The diameter of the rolled sausage also can be seen in contemporary drawings. Even if they were sometimes thicker, because blankets were still rolled in, I choose the thinner version without additional content. Contemporary sources show 7 to 9 laces. Some say like the 7 oceans, on Bray's sketches you can see the variant with 9.

The mats were rolled of Fimo, the laces rolled in by means of a special comb. Since the holders are very low, I first tried the straight variant.

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4648.jpg

I found the bent variant better, as it is also historically documented in many cases.

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4649.jpg

After that, a bit of 50 shades of beige , plus some ink for shadows and depth and the lacing in the visible area represented with thin yarn and it all fits so far for me.

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4706.jpg

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4707.jpg

Constitution-Carronades-230104_4711.jpg

XXXDAn

The bent variant is looking much better
I like your new "miniature" very much
Hope to see it also in real during our event in May

Back