Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Everyone
Now that I have completed the Trumpeter Bismarck build (documented here under that title), I decided to move to another Trumpeter model, the Missouri. These first pics of the build show the contents of the box.
This first pic is of the box.

0001@96sos.JPG

There were two pieces of the superstructure under the hull. The hull is in three pieces, the 46" piece as shown, and then two additional pieces that will complete the bow.

0003@96sos.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in the B box are all of the PE sheets supplied by Trumpeter. Some of these are multiples and every one has another sheet on the reverse side.

0008@96sos.JPG

And finally, the contents of the C box. Notice the bow piece (2 pieces) in the upper left corner.

Attachments

• 0009@96sos.JPG
    0009@96sos.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 219
So, are these pieces supposed to be painted first? I know that seems (to you and others a rather obvious question), but to me... If I were to do this, not sure how I would do this.

Donnie

The entire ship is molded in the grey plastic that you see in the pics. Only the airplanes are molded in clear plastic. Why??? But anyway, the entire hull has to be painted, similar to the Bismarck. The walls of the superstructure are another issue. The ship in WWII was painted a dark grey. The ship sitting in Pearl Harbor is painted a light grey. No decision at this time. As to the guns and the rest of the brass that comes in the add-on kit, none of that will be painted, following my Bismarck. I sincerely apologize for the commotion I have caused with you folks, but misery loves company.

Well knowing Jim as long as I do, I am quite easly swayed as well. We were both building the Sovereign of the Seas at the same time, and now, after many telephone discussions and seeing how the Bismarck came out, I have decided to give the Missouri a try as well. I have ordered the Trumpter kit along with the 2 Prontos add in kits. One thing that I will be questioning later on is the assembly of the brass pieces. Would it be better to join the parts with CA glue or to try and solder them together with a fine flamed slodering gun and super fine solder. Decisions, decisions.

I have not been on in quite some time. I even forget what the last build was that I posted on here. But I will be watching in earnest how your Missouri build goes, and as in times gone by, we will be in discussion of the builds as they progress.

Great work on the Bismarck and the build log of same.

Joe

Here are the wooden decking pieces. There are a total of 19 separate pieces. The decking has an adhesive backing, and is only 0.25mm thick. The rods only serve to hold the pieces down, they were curling badly.

Attachments

• 0012@96sos.JPG
    0012@96sos.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 163
Sheets 9 to 12 of the Photo Etched sheets. Note the 3 sheet from the top - this sheet has over 2000 pieces in it.

Attachments

• 0015@72.JPG
    0015@72.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 147
Sheets 17 and 18 and also the dry transfer included in the kit. The middle sheet is definitely not brass, but something else. According to the instructions, the three large pieces sit atop the main turret housings.

Attachments

• 0017@72.JPG
    0017@72.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 142
Back