Trumpeter 1:200 Titanic

I have a possible suggestion, I've never built that model so this could be wrong but it would be the time to figure it out.

From my train modeling experience. If you're going to light it. Which I think would look really cool, You probably need to paint the inside / underside of everything flat black. Polystyrene is somewhat translucent and the sides will glow if they aren't coated on the inside. This is a problem with buildings in the train world. The paint on the outside isn't typically enough to keep it from glowing, particularly if you use bright lights so it can be seen in the day time.

You'll also need to pay particular attention to making sure the seams are tight so you don't have light leaks at the seams, they will really jump out at the viewer. That can be handled by coating the seam on the back if you can get to it with some type of caulking, or putty and painting outside after assembly.

That's a really cool model, I'm really a plastic guy and after just a few months doing wood kind of miss the plastic.
You are correct. You will want to paint it flat black on the insides of the model multiple times. Run some light to see if it bleeds through and do it again. I lit a 1/350 USS Enterprise from Star Trek and had to do the same. Zero light leak. Putty will also be needed to seal up lines and gaps.

I'm waiting on my Trumpeter Titanic model and plan to do the same with this, as well as fill in the portholes and possibly line the inside of the hull with plastic from a milk jug to further defuse the light, much like I ended up doing on the Enterprise.

Actually considering utilizing some of the painting guide in the instruction from the Minicraft! lol
you have to go by the print sheet or box art only for the Trumpeter... or do the research yourself!
I'm currently building the minicraft kit for a gift to my dad while waiting on the Trumpeter set and the KA upgrade kit. That will be my "take your time" build. As a miniature painter, I'm kinda looking forward to painting the crew and passengers.

Good luck with your Titanic, I hope you are able to spend more time on yours than I am on mine.

Back