Trumpeter 1:200 Titanic

Hull painted the bottom section anti-fowling... used Tamiya Fine Surface primer in Oxide Red and then Tamiya Dull Red TS33 which is what I use for all anti-fowling on all my ship builds so far it is the closest match I can find in a spray can. I cannot imagine or entertain the notion to hand airbrush a model of that scale!hull4.jpg

I have a possible suggestion, I've never built that model so this could be wrong but it would be the time to figure it out.

From my train modeling experience. If you're going to light it. Which I think would look really cool, You probably need to paint the inside / underside of everything flat black. Polystyrene is somewhat translucent and the sides will glow if they aren't coated on the inside. This is a problem with buildings in the train world. The paint on the outside isn't typically enough to keep it from glowing, particularly if you use bright lights so it can be seen in the day time.

You'll also need to pay particular attention to making sure the seams are tight so you don't have light leaks at the seams, they will really jump out at the viewer. That can be handled by coating the seam on the back if you can get to it with some type of caulking, or putty and painting outside after assembly.

That's a really cool model, I'm really a plastic guy and after just a few months doing wood kind of miss the plastic.

Superstructure side pieces... lots of work to be done drilling portholes and PE window frames... not certain what will use to imitate the glass yet.
I have a possible suggestion, I've never built that model so this could be wrong but it would be the time to figure it out.

From my train modeling experience. If you're going to light it. Which I think would look really cool, You probably need to paint the inside / underside of everything flat black. Polystyrene is somewhat translucent and the sides will glow if they aren't coated on the inside. This is a problem with buildings in the train world. The paint on the outside isn't typically enough to keep it from glowing, particularly if you use bright lights so it can be seen in the day time.

You'll also need to pay particular attention to making sure the seams are tight so you don't have light leaks at the seams, they will really jump out at the viewer. That can be handled by coating the seam on the back if you can get to it with some type of caulking, or putty and painting outside after assembly.

That's a really cool model, I'm really a plastic guy and after just a few months doing wood kind of miss the plastic.
Thanks for the suggestions... the kit does come with LED lighting but only for the 1st deck upwards... not the lower decks below. It has been suggested to add supplemental light in the hull but also to paint the inside white instead of black to make it illuminate more?

Regardsss1.jpgss2.jpg

ok so little more work on the hull finish but I had a feeling the boot topping line was off slightly and I was correct if you will notice in the 2 close up image those are NOT portholes.. Doh... they are guidelines!!! Not certain if supposed to fill them up after masking that line off?

hull9.jpghull10.jpghull11.jpghull12.jpg

Back