US Brig Syren 1803 Model Shipways MS 2260

The copper plating of the hull is made with a 6.35mm 1/4’’ wide copper tape on a 33m 36yard roll supplied in the kit.
Each plate should be cut in length of 12mm or11/16’’
Half of the shell is made
1.JPG

And immediately the problems started.
During the copper plating of the hull of the Santisima Trinidad about ten years ago I had explored the copper tape method and quickly rejected this solution and used copper plates from Mantua with a good result
17-4.JPG

Well the problem is that the @ $ #?% $ # Plates peel off at certain places

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

I to try to correct with contact glue + - good.
Crying on my older son shoulder he suggested to me to use the heat with a hair dryer I was able to do the most by corrections for the one that was more recalcitrant I used my electric plank bender.
Now the hull is good enough and after 72 hours it staid on so it should hold but should not be manipulated too much
9.JPG
10.JPG

So I decided to make the base immediately
13.JPG
14.JPG

And his identification plate which will be made on a copper bar + later if the mood comes
Write the text I want
11.JPG

Transferred to a wooden support
12.JPG

Here is the Syren on its base
15.JPG
16.JPG

Well

I waited 2 weeks to see if it was okay

OK NO it was a real disaster, I didn't even bother to take pictures too disgusted.

From that moment on I start to try to find a solution. For the section of the Santisima Trinidad I had used copper plates whose rivets were really off scale. For the ship used Mantua 5x15mm plates much better. 2 different type of plate but really too expensive.

I finally found the Amati 4392/04 sheet plate complete set of 259 port and 259 starboard plates (the difference is the direction of the nailing) needed 2 sets.

In the State they are available for $46.50 US per set

https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/4392-04-set-of-copper-hull-plates-17x5mm-1-72-scale.html

2.JPG
3.JPG

Well I know copper tape is less expensive and it is used successfully and with good results. Me it did not work at all, tape too old, bad base, wrong installation for any reason it did not work voila!

So redo the hull still remains a bit of acetone cleaning to remove traces of glue, but I have a beautiful hull that will not flake
5.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Oh yes my boy brought me in the meantime what will be his name plate finally made of aviation grade aluminum alloy, I still have to decided whether it will be as it is or painted not yet decide

8.JPG

Hello Charles.

I am also building the Syren and I’m really interested in your comments about the copper tape. I have only recently started planking the hull but thinking ahead to what will be my first attempt at plating a hull. I think, given your experience with the kit supplied tape, that I might also buy the Amati sheets.

One thing I have found though is I now hate basswood for the planking. It may be my inexperience but I was even thinking of stripping it all off and redoing the hull with pearwood or similar. However, it’s my first go at a sailing vessel so I think I’ll just keep going and put it down to a learning experience.

From the beautiful builds I have seen on this site I know it’s going to be a long learn before I get to a decent standard.

Thanks for your great build log.
Roger

Hello Charles.

I am also building the Syren and I’m really interested in your comments about the copper tape. I have only recently started planking the hull but thinking ahead to what will be my first attempt at plating a hull. I think, given your experience with the kit supplied tape, that I might also buy the Amati sheets.

One thing I have found though is I now hate basswood for the planking. It may be my inexperience but I was even thinking of stripping it all off and redoing the hull with pearwood or similar. However, it’s my first go at a sailing vessel so I think I’ll just keep going and put it down to a learning experience.

From the beautiful builds I have seen on this site I know it’s going to be a long learn before I get to a decent standard.

Thanks for your great build log.
Roger

There is a Chinese site on Ebay that sells the tape pre-imprinted. Not plates, tape.

@TKAM thanks for the advice. I don’t want to hijack Charles build log so I’ll do some reading of other builds, see what others did and then start my own thread.
Thanks again,
Roger