USS Bonhomme Richard 1779 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you everyone!
Maarten, I buy all the blocks on Taobao. They sell the best blocks I know

Blocks in the kit are also not bad, but they have strange sizes, size range is not enough and quantity is also not enough. So I used only some of them

Thank you everyone!

Blocks in the kit are also not bad, but they have strange sizes, size range is not enough and quantity is also not enough. So I used only some of them
I can’t open the link

Hello Oleg, I can open the link , but nothing related to blocks. My big guess it asking to log in or register

Thank you everyone!

Good to know for my next scratch build, saves days on making blocks and these realy do look very good.

Last edited:
So you saw them? The link is to the shop, it opens page 5 of the whole shop. There, on the page there is one position for blocks sold by one piece, and another position for blocks sold by 10 pieces

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

Олег, Ваше усердие и отношение к модели просто восхищает. Рангоут и такелаж не самое приятное занятие (во всяком случае для меня), но Вы настойчиво двигаетесь семимильными шагами к финишу! Так держать! Продолжайте радовать наш глаз своей работой!

Oleg, your zeal and attitude towards the model are simply amazing. Mast\spars and rigging is not the most pleasant thing (at least for me), but you are persistently moving leaps and bounds to the finish line! Keep it up! Continue to delight our eye with your work!

Just a little question, are you yards modeled in the lowered position?

I see some with yards high and some with yards lowered with no sails, is there a specific reason for lowered yards when no sail are shown?

Just a little question, are you yards modeled in the lowered position?

I see some with yards high and some with yards lowered with no sails, is there a specific reason for lowered yards when no sail are shown?
I think Oleg will show the model without any sails. So he is showing the locations of all the yards in the correct positions without sails or with furled sails.
The yards of fore- , main- and mizzensail are not lowered - they stay where they are (can not be lowered down to the deck)
and all yards of topgallant, topsails, royals, skysails etc. were lowered down without sails
yards.JPG

taken from this interesting guide:

Thank you for the explanation, I was thinking the uppers were lower when no sails were shown.

Not all builders use this option, so just wondered about why they were lowered.

Yes, it's a general convention. On the real ship the yards are lowered when the sails are bent to them, except fot the lower yards, which are never lowered in normal conditions.
So when you make a model without sails it is generally agreed to assume that the sail are bent to the yards, so all the yards and rigging is shown in codition like the sails are bent to the yards, it's just the sails themselves are omitted.

Showing the yards raised when model doesn't have sails is considered a mistake.

If you make the sails on the model, then the position of the yards depends on in which condition you are showing the sails

Thank you for the update, I am still learning all the ways real ships of sail worked.

I have done some sailing with Boy Scout Venturing program, but mostly just small leisure ships with single mast and sail with boom and a jib sail. Nothing this grand.

I would love to find a company with a tall ship that would book me as crew for weeks sail, just to learn the real ways of sailing the old fashion way!

The Boy Scouts have a sailing program in the gulf around Florida, but their ships are much smaller with crew size of about a dozen temps and 3-4 full time seasoned hands to teach. They take 10 day sails after a few days in dock of training. But I have never been able to attend such a trip! :(

The rigging and ship build are some of the best I have seen in the forums.

Glad you got to share with us so we all could see the fine workmanship you put into this model.

Have fun on your next build when you are ready...

Back