USS Bonhomme Richard 1779 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I tried to find something - but everything is looking great
Congratulation for this main step finishing her - so not much to do ??? Which details are still missing?
Very good rigging works !!!

Basically the ship is finished. Only two things left: flags and a stand. Since I will be ordering both of them, because of pandemic they will not arrive soon. After I have them, I will make several quality photos. And then... I think it's necessary to make a glass box, but I'm becoming sad when I think about its price :)

Oleg,
you can be proud that you made this masterpiece - It is one of the best built "kit"-models I have ever seen.

I am pretty sure, that you have already a next project in mind !!! -> We all hope to see also the new project in a building log :cool:

I will be adding this to the Contributors Gallery (CG)

I am pretty sure, that you have already a next project in mind !!! -> We all hope to see also the new project in a building log :cool:

Well afer Richard I guess for me it's useless to pick any other kit. There is no other kit that is same or better quality as Richard, perhaps a couple of other chinese kits like Bellona or Ingermanland or Royal Caroline, but I don't feel much willing to build those ships, especially Ingermanland.
As for the European or US kits, if I want to get the same quality of the model or better, I would have to throw into garbage almost everything leaving just the bulkheads and make every part by myself, so it's just a waste of time, money and efforts and then work in 64, 72 or even smaller scale which I hate.

Even if I choose chinese Bellona right now, then in any case there will be no choice when I finish it - after 2-3 years nothing will change.

So I need to go into scratch.
I'm buying a laser CNC and a 4-axis mill CNC. Like this I will be able to support my hobby for as long as I want. My choice for the ship is maybe too ambitious, but I prefer trying to build what I really want, than building something easy but not what I want.
For now I'm developing a set of parts for manufacturing. I will start a thread when I'm ready.

I guess I will also be selling my Richard after I make sure all my friends are tired of looking at it ))

1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a big investment Oleg.I hear where you are coming from with current kits from the European market.

Now I play a game of guess the ship from your 3D model.It looks like Royal William but that is a bit of a guessROTFROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Well afer Richard I guess for me it's useless to pick any other kit. There is no other kit that is same or better quality as Richard, perhaps a couple of other chinese kits like Bellona or Ingermanland or Royal Caroline, but I don't feel much willing to build those ships, especially Ingermanland.
As for the European or US kits, if I want to get the same quality of the model or better, I would have to throw into garbage almost everything leaving just the bulkheads and make every part by myself, so it's just a waste of time, money and efforts and then work in 64, 72 or even smaller scale which I hate.

Even if I choose chinese Bellona right now, then in any case there will be no choice when I finish it - after 2-3 years nothing will change.

So I need to go into scratch.
I'm buying a laser CNC and a 4-axis mill CNC. Like this I will be able to support my hobby for as long as I want. My choice for the ship is maybe too ambitious, but I prefer trying to build what I really want, than building something easy but not what I want.
For now I'm developing a set of parts for manufacturing. I will start a thread when I'm ready.

I guess I will also be selling my Richard after I make sure all my friends are tired of looking at it ))

View attachment 151997
Hi Oleg, do you have any development on this project?

Fantastic job, Oleg. I am very impressed by the lay of the coils in your rigging. Would you be able to share more details of your process of creating them and getting them to lay so naturally? It seems that so often at scale the stiffness of the line makes the coils stand out in a way that would seem to defy gravity. Yours are nearly perfect in that regard and I would love to hear your method.

Congratulations once more - your Bonhomme is looking great - and also the stand fits very well to the model.
It is presenting the model very good

Hi everyone,
I thought maybe it's not bad idea to share my current build - I'm doing it since January 2018 and the hull is almost comletely finished, just some final touch-ups untill I move to masting...
I will post photos from the beginning, maybe several times per week. I'm not very good in English "shipbuilding" terminology, since Russian is my native language, but I will try my best to answer any questions if there will be any :)

View attachment 102257View attachment 102258View attachment 102259View attachment 102260View attachment 102261View attachment 102262View attachment 102263
Hallo @OlegM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back