USS Constitution, 1:76.8

Dan,
you are much braver than I am by taking just the plans to build this Connie. I would not even know where to start - well, I think I could get as far as sawing out the Bulkheads and attaching them to the keel, but after that, I would be in the dark.

I think you mentioned about the tips of the Bulkheads being fragile. The only thing I can think of to keep them from breaking or snapping would be to fashion some type of "spreader bar" that would reach from side to side (port to starboard). The problem is that (I guess this couldn't be glued) as then the spreaders would have to be removed after the upper bulwarks were planked.

I am sure that you mentioned it, but it does look like a 'ply' for the Bulkheads. What is the thickness, 3/16? One more question. Did you get an instruction manual with the plans? Did you know you could download the instruction manual from M.E.? Maybe you mentioned this too already, but in case I could not help myself, so I went ahead and attached the M.E. building instructions to the Connie. My bad if you already have this info - I am way too late.

Donald
of all things, I am having problems uploading the pdf file.... hold on.

am i wrong in thinking that ship's boat is called a pinnace rather than a pinnacle ?
A pinnacle is a term from the Gothic architcture

1280px-20130808_Kings_College_Chapel_Closeup_01.jpg

from wikipedia:
A pinnacle is an architectural ornament originally forming the cap or crown of a buttress or small turret, but afterwards used on parapets at the corners of towers and in many other situations. The pinnacle looks like a small spire. It was mainly used in Gothic architecture.

The pinnacle had two purposes:
  1. Ornamental – adding to the loftiness and verticity of the structure. They sometimes ended with statues, such as in Milan Cathedral.
  2. Structural – the pinnacles were very heavy and often rectified with lead, in order to enable the flying buttresses to contain the stress of the structure vaults and roof. This was done by adding compressive stress (a result of the pinnacle weight) to the thrust vector and thus shifting it downwards rather than sideways.

and pinnace is a small ship´s boat

It does appear pinnace come in many sizes. Not just life boats.

The English pinnace Sunne was the first vessel reported built at the Chatham Dockyard, in 1586.[4] English pinnaces of the time were typically of around 100 tons, and carried 5 to 16 guns.[5]

The Dutch built pinnaces during the early 17th century.[citation needed] Dutch pinnaces had a hull form resembling a small race-built galleon and usually rigged as a ship (square rigged on three masts), or carrying a similar rig on two masts (in a fashion akin to the later "brig"). Pinnaces were used as fast merchant vessels, pirate vessels and small warships. Not all were small vessels, some being nearer to larger ships in tonnage.[citation needed]

Still chipping away at the hull. Have decided to build up the gun deck to some extent instead of enclosed gun ports as per plans. Will work upper planking next. Still looking for appropriate material. Gun ports identified and rough cut. Hope all are well and enjoying your projects!

ABCFC08E-3ED4-481D-B2BB-FC1CFEF1DA0E.jpegED992689-91A6-4937-8FE6-FF7390962E56.jpeg84DA0FC8-453D-42A0-A87E-A3DC6D5E8B88.jpegFBF97ABE-7727-435A-82B5-21DD67A90A77.jpeg

Wow Danno, you are making huge progress in the build. we would love to see updates more often, for sure (if possible)

I downloaded a digital set of the Constitution plans to my iPad. It gives me instant access to study, make notes and ‘try’ to plan out the process steps. Interpretation of brief drawing notes only, is challenging. Therefore, research in the way of videos, internet and Most importantly, my companions at SOS, cannot be understated. Thanks!!
The APP utilized on the iPad (pictured) is ‘Notable’. It allows for highlighting and hand written notes for ready reference. An inexpensive stylus is all that is needed.View attachment 105414
Where did you get digital plans for the Connie, from Model Expo or other source?

Back