USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

??? Strange way of putting it. not sure if I would like being classified as a termiite though. Thumbsdown
Another way to look at it...... I wish I could could spin rigging out my rear end while chewing through boxwood like a CNC machine!!! Then I might not need so many tools.... :D

ok, I am breaking our own rule here about staying on topic and not hijacking someone's thread, so we really need to lend this back to Vfordyce. Sometimes I am too nice.

Last edited:
My daughter (the ensign?) wants me to build a ship for her mantel. She looked at various models with me and decided she likes le Soleil Royal, of course! What is a good wood model that does not cost over $1000? I plan on starting it after The Constitution. (I know...I'm in over my head, but it's my girl. What can I do?)

Also, BigMike has a sweet build log of the kit:

Also, BigMike has a sweet build log of the kit:

Thanks, Clair. That looks like what she wants. It appears to have metal decorations.

I’m back from vacation and have started on my main mast. I’ve discovered that this Billing Boats model is very simple compared to the Soleil Royal and Donnoe’s San Felipe. They are quite intricate with loads of rigging. I think my lines are just to give the impression of rigging. Squaring the top of the mast was a bit challenging with just an Exacto knife. I think it will work, though.4405B7A1-3005-4F4F-98AA-ED61214616F7.jpeg398387BE-10AF-4C08-B66E-6A2CA8300857.jpegC55AF451-8C32-4F8B-8B25-322CBD26CBC2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I mismeasured the 5x148 mm strip by 10 mm. Measured 138 instead. I also used the wrong kit piece for the fore mast. That was supposed to be for the main mast and the remaining mast piece was too short to make a main mast. I had to go out and buy a piece of dowel and convert mm to inch. It’s almost like I’m not supposed to add the main mast.

Back