USS Constitution from Scientific Models

When it comes to shrouds and ratlines there an old joke that comes to mind! You ask some one the below question and when they answer you give them what they said!

"Pete and Repeat were sitting on a fence, Pete fell off and who was left" Repeat! again and again and again......
Yep. Lower main mast shrouds are done! Except I’ll have to redo one image.jpg:mad:

Looking good, one set of shrouds at a time.

Makes me want to finish the second side of lower shroud ratlines on my ST cross section so I can "get er done" finally.

Well a question for the skipper? Are you under full sail chasing the opposing forces or just out sailing home after a victory at sea?

I had heard in past decades they only put up 16 sails for travel under her own power on modern day sails!

So Skipper what’s your call?

I like a bit of mast showing as in second photo

Kurt

Well a question for the skipper? Are you under full sail chasing the opposing forces or just out sailing home after a victory at sea?

I had heard in past decades they only put up 16 sails for travel under her own power on modern day sails!

Kurt
If there was a poll, I would vote for sails up to the royals. No skysails. Your choice of course.

Kurt
I haven't seen any sky sails on any of the other models. Maybe I can research to see if the original version in the 1800's had them. The kit does come with the yard extensions for studding sails and a bunch of stay sails. The whole ship looks awfully white with all the sails, though.

Last edited:
Well, there is this:
1-sailnames-e1469559652410.jpg

When the Conny was on the run from the British squadron and the wind was low, you can bet they had every square foot of sail including the Captain's handkerchief deployed with all the fresh water used to wet the sails to catch every breath of wind, plus kedging with boats, and escape. It must have been a sight to see that much cloth on a frigate.

On the run!
60-362-b.jpg

Last edited:
When the Conny was on the run from the British squadron and the wind was low, you can bet they had every square foot of sail including the Captain's handkerchief deployed with all the fresh water used to wet the sails to catch every breath of wind, plus kedging with boats, and escape. It must have been a sight to see that much cloth on a frigate.

On the run!
60-362-b.jpg
Yes, but no sky sails in this picture.

Back