USS Constitution - Model Shipways MS2040 - 1:76 - by Jeff T

After completing the cross section of the Constitution, I am about to start the full model in the same scale. I was able to get a good price on the kit by taking a chance and buying it off of one of the online auction sites. Since it had I had a 30 day return window and it was less than 1/2 of the normal price (and free shipping), I went for it. All of the parts in the pre-owned kit were still in their plastic bags and in excellent condition, so the purchase turned out to be a very good one from my perspective.

I am not going to do a contents review as that has been done by other builders of this kit in other logs. I started the kit already and will start posting progress updates soon.

Good to have you moving on to the full model. Believe me you will use all your skills gained on the cross section to help in the full model construction. I'm looking forward to your future posts. This will be a great build for you

Good to have you moving on to the full model. Believe me you will use all your skills gained on the cross section to help in the full model construction. I'm looking forward to your future posts. This will be a great build for you
I am certain you are correct about using all my skills acquired to date on this one. This is my 4th MS kit with the 3 previous builds leading up to this one.

Finally - Time for an update on my slow progress. I started with marking the bearding line and continuation lines for the bulkheads on the 6 false keel pieces. The false keel is supplied as half thickness. These need to be glued together to form the three false keel pieces. The alignment holes can be seen in the pictures. I used toothpicks for the alignment pegs.
IMG_7943.jpg
IMG_7945.jpg

I also glued the 2 haves of the stem at the same time. The alignment toothpicks are evident in the picture.
IMG_7947.jpg

The keel was dry fit and used to help align the false keel when gluing the parts together. A reinforcing block was glued in place while gluing the false keel parts together. I clamped the parts to a 3/4 inch piece of plywood as a flat base for gluing. Wax paper was used under the seams to keep it from gluing to the board.
IMG_7950.jpg
IMG_7951.jpg

Once the glue had set overnight, I cut the bearding line into the false keel on both sides then I added the keel pieces to the backbone using more toothpicks
IMG_7954.jpg
IMG_7953.jpg

Once the bearding line was cut, I added reinforcing pieces to the other side of the keel to complete its construction. I plan on cleaning up the bearding line cuts before continuing with the bulkheads.

Back