• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution - Model Shipways

you know what would be interesting? RIgging a pendant showing how it was used to haul up a mast. Very dynamic look wouldn`t you think? hmm...
 
Not sure why I am not getting alert notifications on your log, so had a little catch-up to do.

I'm wondering about that too. I'm not getting all the alert notifications I should be either. It seems like I have to actively drill into builders on my watch list to see the initial posts. Once people comment or reply, then I see notifications. I'm glad it's not just me.
 
Before I launch into my "Output" over the last day or two, I was reminded that I haven't posted a photo of Connie herself in a while. Here's one with the lower masts dry-fitted:

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 13.jpg

"Rigging" is officially underway. First up, pendants for the main.

I opted to do them differently than both the plans and Mustafa. I think the concept explains itself - more or less.

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 36.jpg

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 37.jpg

Well, this might require some explanation. After calculating the total length of both the long and the short pendants and eye-spliceing (is that even a verb?) the thimbles, I had to seize the center sections of each pendant. I know this sounds crazy, but I actually found it easier to do these relatively short lengths by hand, given that the thimbled (is that even an adjective?) were problematic to set up with the Seize-o-matic from Syren. The tension on the pendants between vices was nice an taut. Now that I have a better idea of how much rope to allow for the thimbles, for future pendants I'll do the seizing first using the gizmo
2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 35.jpg

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 38.jpg

Here's the departure from the plans. I figured that I didn't need the loops, since the part that wraps around the mast will be hidden by the shrouds that will come later.
2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 39.jpg

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 42.jpg

2026 09-29 USS Constitution Build 41.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top