![]() |
The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026! Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue. NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026 |
![]() |
![]() |
As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering. |
![]() |
Ding, ding, ding!! Love the way your bell is mounted!The only constructive thing I managed to get done today was to actually mount the bell.


I am surprised you had to fabricate your own bell. My 2016-7 MS kit provided me with one, but yours looks as good if not better than the kit's. Well done!While the mast was still off the boat, I thought it best to fit the ship's bell, which of course I need to fabricate.
That picture was taken between 1918 and 1920. It my belief that those windows were remanences of when the ship was a receiver ship and barracks. Back in 1898 till about 1906, it had a barn-like structure on and over the spar deck to house trainees. The structure was removed around 1906-7. Based on the photos, the windows were removed sometime in the 1940s or 50s.To pique my interest, he supplied this photo. It shocked me to learn that behind the closed gunport lids, there were windows!
To answer your question, that site was one of many I found photos and yes, I did have that photo.Jon, perhaps there are some pix here that even you don't already have, but somehow, I suspect you already know of this site.
Yes, the kit provided a Britannia bell.I am surprised you had to fabricate your own bell. My 2016-7 MS kit provided me with one, but yours looks as good if not better than the kit's.![]()


Right tools for the right job!Yes, the kit provided a Britannia bell.
Given a choice between painting it and trying to make it look like brass, or turning one myself, I took the better looking option. I did have the Sherline lathe, after all..
Ah, the many challenges of Lake Michigan bluff living...It being Thursday and therefore Manhattan Club night, I headed over to my brothers.
View attachment 642168
Evidently Landscaping has its challenges.
The Landscaping crew actually finished their job yesterday. But my brother asked the foreman if they could stay another day so we could see them before they left.
View attachment 642169
View attachment 642170


