• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution - Model Shipways

Peter, since you’re still at the early stage, let me suggest something: the gap between the lower and upper deadeyes looks a bit too small. If you double that distance, it will look much more realistic and visually pleasing. The photo below from the real ship.

20261009_221557.jpg
 
Last edited:
Peter, since you’re still at the early stage, let me suggest something: the gap between the lower and upper deadeyes looks a bit too small. If you double that distance, it will look much more realistic and visually pleasing. The photo below from the real ship.

View attachment 642304

I originally had them higher, then I checked the plans.

20261009_150509.jpg

I'm using the correctly sized dead eyes, the correctly sized lanyards and according to this photo in the plans, the upper dead eyes are aligned with the main rail.

To change it now, I'd have to undo four shrouds and basically redo them from scratch. I'm not sure I want to go through that much hassle. But I'm calling it a day and will go home and sleep on it.


I think the problem is that the lower dead eyes are too high. I will not be taking those off.

20261009_152151.jpg

(It would have been nice if Bob Hunt had included some photographs of this in his practicum, instead of showing the shrouds dead eyes and lanyards from a different ship.)
 
Last edited:
I think the problem is that the lower dead eyes are too high. I will not be taking those off.
I noticed that too, but I thought you might not want to remove the lower deadeyes, so I didn’t mention it. Re‑doing the upper deadeyes is much easier. The spacing between deadeyes was usually set at about three times the diameter of the deadeye. This proportion allowed the lanyards to work properly and gave the shrouds enough room for proper tensioning. Also, having the upper deadeyes positioned above the level of the main rail doesn’t cause any issues in terms of accuracy.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top