USS New York 74 gun ship of the line [COMPLETED BUILD]

More progress on the New York. One side is planked "painted" with diluted wood glue to seal the seams where I did not super glue them. The yellowish color here and there is the wood glue. I did some rough sanding as well. It will need another glue coat to get the seams I missed the first time. And, as you can see, the other side is almost done. Maybe another week and I can give it a coat of epoxy wood filler. In two weeks I should be able to prime the hull.

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

The New York's hull is planked, rough sanded, painted with diluted wood glue, and on stern quarter has been epoxied and sanded. (There maybe more epoxy sanding.) Yeah I know it is ugly NOW, but it gets better.
I get alot of flak for my use of filler. This is an epoxy filler that I use since the hull is only a single planked. The wood glue "paint" and filler strengthen and stiffen the hull and sort of replaces a second planking. Since the bottom is coppered and the foil tape I use is so thin The bottom of the hull has to be baby butt smooth so no flaws show. In any case the end result is what is important.

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

1689439200479.png

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

Putty and epoxy filler and other items used to help fix flaws in first planking are one of those needed evil tasks that take time.

You spend a few minutes applying the filler, and hours and days sanding it off and then repeating to get nice baby butt smooth look as you say.

Your work is coming along well, can't wait to see final photos when done and ready for paint and coppering.

New York has it's first light coat of primer. I use gray so I can draw the cannon ports on with pencil and see them easily to cut out. The garage is around 90 degrees so the paint will dry fast. The bowsprit and rudder holes are in. I will copper the bottom once the gun ports are all cut out and framed. The gray primer actually reacts with the adhesive on the copper tape so it sticks really well! A few were somewhat leery at my hull planking methods. I hope this result quells some of their doubts.

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Just got done browsing your posts. You're not a hobbyist, you're an Industry!
I remember admiring your Merrimac. She's really beautiful! I am especially taken with her.
The whole project, building the interwar (1812- 1861) US Navy, is quite an undertaking! Is this a commission? It certainly is a magnificent obsession!
The whole collection needs to be kept intact, and hopefully find a berth at the US Navy museum. Preferably in a room of their own.
It's a privilege to get to see them together on this forum.

At the Naval Academy There's an 8" long model of the sloop of war, St. Lawrence, we've been working for about 20 years. The actual ship's keel was laid down decades before she was actually launched( I forget the exact dates) but she saw action in the Civil War. She's a sister ship to the Savannah, a model of which is in the Museum in that city, of roughly the same proportions as the St. Lawrence model in the USNA basement workshop. The Savannah you can probably see on line.20230706_150151.jpg

20230706_150237.jpg

Last edited:
Back