Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

The outside photography is outstanding Paul and the ship is looking absolutely superb. You set a VERY high bar, my friend. As Maarten said, for a first build, your standard of workmanship, detail and attention to detail (with in-depth research), is second to none. I am still in awe at the detail of your sculpture paintwork and the cleanliness of your build - It really is a credit to your abilities.

I will be VERY interested to see what makes ship No 2.

Regards,

PeterG

View attachment 316839Phwoar! That took my breath away. That's the first time I saw the big picture of your entire model so far Paul and it is truly mind-blowing. And this your first model? Truly a phenomenal piece of craftwork that you can already be very proud of. Just whatever you do on your 'road trip' ... don't drop it!

I could spend hours looking at that, so much to admire Thumbsup

By the way, who are these little guys?
Thank you kindly, Mark. These little guys are standing in front of the spot where the man working the whipstaff does his thing. Here is the same view on the museum ship:

mail (6).jpg

The outside photography is outstanding Paul and the ship is looking absolutely superb. You set a VERY high bar, my friend. As Maarten said, for a first build, your standard of workmanship, detail and attention to detail (with in-depth research), is second to none. I am still in awe at the detail of your sculpture paintwork and the cleanliness of your build - It really is a credit to your abilities.

I will be VERY interested to see what makes ship No 2.

Regards,

PeterG
Well, coming from you that is quite a compliment Peter. I'm sure you know that all of us Vasa builders look to you as the master...

Indeed, I have been slowly adding tools to my workshop in anticipation of making an even better 'next' model. I'm out of my wheelhouse, of course, because when all the real men were taking shop classes in school I was dissecting frogs and learning organic chemistry ROTF.
oh no...now we have to define the 'real men'. ;) I am definitely not falling into this category as well, when you dissect frogs and learn organic chemistry, I was chasing girls. It was a very good time, though. I miss it (not the time), I mean the girls. :p

oh no...now we have to define the 'real men'. ;) I am definitely not falling into this category as well, when you dissect frogs and learn organic chemistry, I was chasing girls. It was a very good time, though. I miss it (not the time), I mean the girls. :p
I married my high school homecoming date so I guess it turned out OK for me!

Hello Friends,

I'm taking a bit of time away from actively working on my Vasa, but today was quite nice outside, so I risked a road trip. I hope you enjoy these outdoor photos...

View attachment 316803
View attachment 316815
View attachment 316804
View attachment 316805
View attachment 316812
View attachment 316810
View attachment 316813
View attachment 316811
View attachment 316808
View attachment 316807

View attachment 316809
View attachment 316806

It's good to stop every once in a while and remember what has been accomplished. I am truly grateful for the many, many people who have helped me, corrected me, and encouraged me along the way. I have been blessed by your shared expertise and friendship, and I'm excited to see what the future holds!

Extraordinary!!!!

Hi Paul, it’s hard to find the right words to do justice to your totally amazing and outstanding ship. If I had only just seen your Vasa build for the first time I would have immediately assumed it was built by a highly experienced master craftsman. It truly is a wonder to behold.

Hi Paul, it’s hard to find the right words to do justice to your totally amazing and outstanding ship. If I had only just seen your Vasa build for the first time I would have immediately assumed it was built by a highly experienced master craftsman. It truly is a wonder to behold.
Hi Roger. You are very kind. I've seen your work - you could do the very same.

Beautiful, gorgeous, awesome, meticulous…are but a few of many adjectives I could use to describe this ship! You have exceeded all of my expectations, as a first time builder, and I am sure your own as well. I think everyone agrees this is the work of an experienced builder, thus proving you have natural ability. I suspect you have a great future as a ship model builder. I look forward to your completion of this ship and the build of your next, which I think you already have in possession? ;)

Beautiful, gorgeous, awesome, meticulous…are but a few of many adjectives I could use to describe this ship! You have exceeded all of my expectations, as a first time builder, and I am sure your own as well. I think everyone agrees this is the work of an experienced builder, thus proving you have natural ability. I suspect you have a great future as a ship model builder. I look forward to your completion of this ship and the build of your next, which I think you already have in possession? ;)
Once again I feel flattered beyond what I deserve. Your reputation as a modeler is beyond dispute Dean so I am embarrassed by your kind assessment of my work.

Yes, I do have two POF kits right now. One was a reasoned purchase, and the other was an impulse buy. I've had to move them to my basement so they don't compete with my work on the Vasa. I suspect I have at least a year left on the current build so I was getting distracted by the other boxes. For my next build I am leaning in the direction of the impulse buy. It is a 'legacy' kit that is no longer manufactured (a swan class ship) and it would be a real challenge for me to do it justice. We'll see...

Last edited:
Back