Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

It's been several weeks since I posted a progress report. It's not that I haven't been busy - but what I've been working on is pretty ordinary and I didn't think you would be interested in a blow by blow storyboard.

Anyway, once the wales were successfully installed I added faux scarf joints along their run. This was actually harder to do well than cutting real scarf joints like I used on the hull planking. I would still do it the way I did it for the reasons I offered previously - I'm just making a passing observation.

Once the wales were oiled I then set about detailing the hull.

First, I completed treenailing the scarf joints (previously I had only completed the lower portion of the hull - no point in treenailing under the wales or the galleries was my thinking back then...).

And for the past 10 days (as time allowed) I have been adding tiny nails to represent bolts in the following locations: four at each gun port for the cannon rigging, at the knees of the upper and lower gundecks, at the futtock riders (second riders?) in the region of the orlop deck, and then various bolts along the run of the wales. In total I installed around 1500 tiny nails (give or take a hundred).

But enough chit-chat...I submit the following for your critical review:

View attachment 221824

View attachment 221818

View attachment 221819

View attachment 221820

View attachment 221822

View attachment 221821

These macro images make me cringe - but it is what it is.

More detailing remains: fillers strips between the wales near the bow (I have only seen this on the Vasa but that may simply be a reflection of my naiveté), the mail/package port discussed previously, scuppers, and whatever else I come up with after reviewing more pictures from the Vasa museum.

Oh, I almost forgot the highlight of my week: my grandson turned one Birthday-Cake! He was born the week COVID was shutting down America in 2020...

View attachment 221823

Thanks for visiting!
Hi Paul, just perfect.
You are afraid of your macro s but this is the real thing from the outside an unorganized mess, but everything is there for a reason. This is the reality you are showing us here, just perfect and beautiful.

Thanks, Jan, for taking the time to share your kind thoughts.

As always, Maarten, I am grateful for your clear off-line instruction. You prove that even new dogs can be taught new tricks :).

A small update...

I placed some 'filler' boards between the wales at the bow of the ship. I'm uncertain what these are for (surf break? splash control?) but they appear on the mother-ship so I returned the favor. I'll add some trenails the next time I have that set up in my shop, as well as some bolts (but I need to blacken more nails first)...

IMG_6512.JPG

I also added some scuppers. On the Wasa these are solid hunks of wood with a channel 'drilled' through the center (sorry about the lousy focus):

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

Next up: hatch covers. The ones issued with the kit were unsuitable. At scale they would have been almost 13 inches tall and the holes between the boards would have been nearly 6 inches across - certain to end up snapping the ankle of a barefoot sailor. I found an after-market kit that I hoped would work and made a prototype to see...

The kit comes with a clever little jig, a laser-etched template, and battens cut to fit snugly into the notches on the template:

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

I then carefully sanded the battens down to the camber of the template and removed the laser char...

IMG_6521.JPG

From other build logs I learned about using watered down white glue to get the pieces to bond together - and then trimmed the ends:

IMG_6523.JPG

Next, I fabricated a frame for the hatch cover using my precious stock of dimensional pear:

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

And a splash of oil to make it pretty:

IMG_6529.JPG

I couldn't be happier with my prototype (now presented next to the kit grating):

IMG_6534.JPG

The downside of liking my prototype is now I have to make a bunch of these little guys so I may be gone for a while!

I continue to be inspired by the work you are all doing on your ships. I enjoy learning from all of you, and appreciate the vicarious fellowship created on the SOS forum.

ONWARD!

A small update...

I placed some 'filler' boards between the wales at the bow of the ship. I'm uncertain what these are for (surf break? splash control?) but they appear on the mother-ship so I returned the favor. I'll add some trenails the next time I have that set up in my shop, as well as some bolts (but I need to blacken more nails first)...

View attachment 222950

I also added some scuppers. On the Wasa these are solid hunks of wood with a channel 'drilled' through the center (sorry about the lousy focus):

View attachment 222940

View attachment 222941

Next up: hatch covers. The ones issued with the kit were unsuitable. At scale they would have been almost 13 inches tall and the holes between the boards would have been nearly 6 inches across - certain to end up snapping the ankle of a barefoot sailor. I found an after-market kit that I hoped would work and made a prototype to see...

The kit comes with a clever little jig, a laser-etched template, and battens cut to fit snugly into the notches on the template:

View attachment 222942

View attachment 222943

I then carefully sanded the battens down to the camber of the template and removed the laser char...

View attachment 222944

From other build logs I learned about using watered down white glue to get the pieces to bond together - and then trimmed the ends:

View attachment 222945

Next, I fabricated a frame for the hatch cover using my precious stock of dimensional pear:

View attachment 222946

View attachment 222947

View attachment 222948

I couldn't be happier with my prototype (now presented next to the kit grating):

View attachment 222949

The downside of liking my prototype is now I have to make a bunch of these little guys so I may be gone for a while!

I continue to be inspired by the work you are all doing on your ships. I enjoy learning from all of you, and appreciate the vicarious fellowship created on the SOS forum.

ONWARD!
I thought you had a job!

Well done!
I wonder why many manufacturers are not able to produce decent gratings.
It would often be just a few cuts more with the circular saw....

Hey Doc.
I like the built in curvature of your grating. I too bought aftermarket deck grating for my VASA when I get to it but it doesn't have curvature so I'll have to improvise.
Looking forward to more of your awesome epic build.
Dan

A small update...

View attachment 222950

View attachment 222940

View attachment 222941

View attachment 222942

View attachment 222943

View attachment 222944

View attachment 222945

View attachment 222946

View attachment 222947

View attachment 222948

View attachment 222949

ONWARD!

Hi Paul
I believe proper planning and knowledge (know-how) is important in scale ship modelling and saves our time.
Somehow I often use try and fail method while building my models. (And I know this is a little bit contradictory :) )
I try and fail and keep trying and failing only when I'm in a position where I have not acquired the knowledge to complete a process.
That's why I like the way of your obtaining know-how and building your model so organised and neat.
Your Vasa is a piece of beauty. Congrats.
BTW Happy birthday to your lovely grandson. :) Birthday-Cake

Bilal

Hi Paul
I believe proper planning and knowledge (know-how) is important in scale ship modelling and saves our time.
Somehow I often use try and fail method while building my models. (And I know this is a little bit contradictory :) )
I try and fail and keep trying and failing only when I'm in a position where I have not acquired the knowledge to complete a process.
That's why I like the way of your obtaining know-how and building your model so organised and neat.
Your Vasa is a piece of beauty. Congrats.
BTW Happy birthday to your lovely grandson. :) Birthday-Cake

Bilal
Hi Bilal, I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I have had my share of failure during this build - but I have also been kindly helped by many members of this forum. Indeed, on several occasions I was pretty much dead in the water and someone spoke up and saved the day. I get in trouble when my knowledge base fails me, but I don't realize it until too late (that is, I don't know what I don't know...). I've developed a keener sense for this over time, and I am spending more time researching things than I did at the beginning of the build (these hatch covers are an example of that). Most important of all, I have learned that the kit instructions have a different target in mind than my goals for this ship so I have largely jettisoned them.

Oh, and apparently I don't seem to mind spending a fortune trying to improve a kit I spent a fortune on in the first place. Some rich people are just plain dumb Redface .

If folks have not seen Bilal's build you should check it out - awesome stuff: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/montañes-by-occre-build-log.6548/

Last edited:
Hey Paul. I might look at that hatch cover kit for a future build of the Vasa. Could you please let me know where you got it. Thanks Bill

I thought you were all my friends...but several days ago I was abducted by the owner of a hatch cover/grating factory and not a single one of you came looking for me:mad:.

I made the most of my time away by (surprise!) making hatch covers:

IMG_6537.JPG

I also made this little platform that will one day host the capstan:

IMG_6540.JPG

Back on the ship I added a 'shelf' on the inside of the deck openings along with a 'frame' on the deck surface:

IMG_6543.JPG

Here's a closer look. I used a scraping tool to create the frame profile...

IMG_6545.JPG

I then treated the hatch covers, the shelves, and the frames with linseed oil.

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

This was a fun little project and I am pleased with the scale and detailing.

IMG_6551.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

Looking ahead, I'm beginning to realize that without power tools I am going to face some production obstacles. Then again, even if I buy some tools, I frankly lack the knowledge/experience that would make those purchases wise or helpful. Hmm...

As always, thanks for stopping by to see what I have been up to!

Last edited:
I thought you were all my friends...but several days ago I was abducted by the owner of a hatch cover/grating factory and not a single one of you came looking for me :mad:.

View attachment 224026

I also made this little platform that will one day host the capstan:

View attachment 224028

Back on the ship I added a 'shelf' on the inside of the deck openings along with a 'frame' on the deck surface:

View attachment 224029

Here's a closer look. I used a scraping tool to create the frame profile...

View attachment 224030

I then treated the hatch covers, the shelves, and the frames with linseed oil.

View attachment 224031

View attachment 224032

This was a fun little project and I am pleased with the scale and detailing.

View attachment 224033

View attachment 224034

Looking ahead, I'm beginning to realize that without power tools I am going to face some production obstacles. Then again, even if I buy some tools, I frankly lack the knowledge/experience that would make those purchases wise or helpful. Hmm...

As always, thanks for stopping by to see what I have been up to!
Great work Paul! You continue to surprise me. ;)
I think this ship is going to be awesome when you finish!

...and those hatch covers look fantastically awesome (not a surprise) at least for me! And I recognize the Pear under the Linseed oil, truly magic appearance. The nails are just marks or actual treenails? Looks really realistic! Thumbs-Up

...and those hatch covers look fantastically awesome (not a surprise) at least for me! And I recognize the Pear under the Linseed oil, truly magic appearance. The nails are just marks or actual treenails? Looks really realistic! Thumbs-Up
Yup. That's my pear all the way from Russia... The nails are just 0.5 lead pencil. They should be paired on a diagonal but on a test piece that was just too much visually at this scale.

Back