Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

No planking. There will be a cast metal decorative piece added that will strengthen it but I have to paint that first. Right now it’s not fragile - just vulnerable. I have already knocked about my kevels several times. Entering a new phase of my build and I need to develop some different habits when I’m working.
Looking at it from the bow, it looks like there are some horizontal pieces behind the X's.

Looking at it from the bow, it looks like there are some horizontal pieces behind the X's.
Hey Vic, what you are seeing is the back side of the wood carvings - at least that's my interpretation. That said, I know of at least one other builder who agrees with you and he chose to plank the back side of the framing. His turned out nice and clean so I might reconsider once I see what it looks like to see the back of the carved decorations...

The image that I am showing is quite rare! I can only find 4 or 5 views of this part of the ship - and only 2 show this level of detail. Unless someone has personal knowledge (they visited the museum) getting this part right is not a slam dunk. For the record, my version is somewhat imperfect: the horizontal element near the bottom should be straight - but DeAg forced me to build that piece as a curve because of the decorative cast metal piece that is forthcoming...

mail (5b).jpg

IMG_6851.JPG

Building this framework was not hard at all (notwithstanding the significant injury I sustained with my xacto blade). But getting it to fit onto a kit that had no intention of including it (and making it look like it belonged) was quite a challenge. I spent 10x the time noodling on how to do this than I did making it! But I am learning that is simply part of the fun...

Last edited:
Hey Vic, what you are seeing is the back side of the wood carvings - at least that's my interpretation. That said, I know of at least one other builder who agrees with you and he chose to plank the back side of the framing. His turned out nice and clean so I might reconsider once I see what it looks like to see the back of the carved decorations...

The image that I am showing is quite rare! I can only find 4 or 5 views of this part of the ship - and only 2 show this level of detail. Unless someone has personal knowledge (they visited the museum) getting this part right is not a slam dunk. For the record, my version is somewhat imperfect: the horizontal element near the bottom should be straight - but DeAg forced me to build that piece as a curve because of the decorative cast metal piece that is forthcoming...

View attachment 238613

View attachment 238614

Building this framework was not hard at all (notwithstanding the significant injury I sustained with my xacto blade). But getting it to fit onto a kit that had no intention of including it (and making it look like it belonged) was quite a challenge. I spent 10x the time noodling on how to do this than I did making it! But I am learning that is simply part of the fun...
I think the original builder just forgot to finish it. Or maybe the planks fell off when it sank.

View attachment 238613

View attachment 238614

I think my best xacto injury was when I was 10... trying to cut off the pegs on a Battleship game ships. Still have that scar.....so far, no injuries on my current build.

How I spent my Saturday afternoon...

Most everyone on this forum will have seen the famous stern of the Wasa:

View attachment 238556

What is less common is the view from the other side:

View attachment 238559

The DeAg kit omits the wooden framework entirely so I had to make my own.

First, I came up with a design (as you can see I'm no draftsman :p ).

View attachment 238563 View attachment 238565

And a few hours later...Voila!

View attachment 238566 View attachment 238567

View attachment 238576 View attachment 238569

For the betting crowd I have set the over/under on the number of times I will break this off during the balance of the project at 11...
Paul, that’s a very nice en tight investment for a Saturday Afternoon. :)
I loved your eye for details, adding them in addition to the kit and scratch build on the model.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I am pretty sure that there WAS planking underneath the aft decorations on the Vasa (and on any other ship for that matter) - and I saw the original Vasa in Stockholm!
Otherwise I hope that your finger had been sawn back into place in the meantime after that dispute with the Exacto blade!
János

Hallo there. I will consider an approach to my building of the Vasa, which takes a lot of reading and trying, so some work going on with " dummy canons " thinking of making new " after cabins ". And I started painting some figures, that is a pain in the butt.........

100_5221[1].JPG100_5222[1].JPG100_5223[1].JPG100_5224[1].JPG

View attachment 238613

View attachment 238614

Paul, I never trust myself with an xacto knife! Invariably, it’s Murphy’s law with those little blades....they cut so clean and quick! You don’t even feel pain, you just say “oh $hit”, look down and there’s no blood....for about 5 seconds and then all hell breaks loose....ha! Just love your work!!!!Actually, I’m in so much awe that I get intimidated reading your thread....but it helps me so much in making me push forward on my own build. Thank you!

Paul, I never trust myself with an xacto knife! Invariably, it’s Murphy’s law with those little blades....they cut so clean and quick! You don’t even feel pain, you just say “oh $hit”, look down and there’s no blood....for about 5 seconds and then all hell breaks loose....ha! Just love your work!!!!Actually, I’m in so much awe that I get intimidated reading your thread....but it helps me so much in making me push forward on my own build. Thank you!
Hi Rick,
Your description of the xacto injury is PURE PRECISION. Not even really sure how it happened - I saw the cut - thought to myself: hmm, not bleeding, that's odd, must not be as bad as it looks - and then the damn broke... This one was serious and I have been out of commission except for painting decorations.
And please don't feel anything other than sympathy when you are reading my build log. I am just as much a beginner as you are and I have made more mistakes than I care to discuss. Sometimes I need to address them on the forum because of prior posts; but what I specialize in is doing stuff over until I think it's all I have to offer. Someone on the forum has a "signature" that goes something like this: Success is 10% skill and 90% patience (I wish I could give credit to this individual - all I remember was it was not written in English). I may not have the quote exactly right but the sentiment is spot on. Patience is king (once the bleeding stops...) Redface .

Dammit! I don't understand why I don't get regular updates on all of these logs that I follow with tremendous interest. Paul, I'm sorry, but I have to backtrack all the way to page 45 to catch-up. I've received nothing, since this page, when I was last posting to your page. What is going on, here, I wonder? If I go to the top of the build-page, I can only "un-watch." There is nothing in my SPAM folder. This is very frustrating.

The port-lid commentary presents an interesting problem for modelers. From a purely realistic standpoint, the lifting lid-lanyards are not placed high enough above the ports to enable the crew to pull them right up against the wales; a 3/4 open, is probably more likely under the best circumstances. On the other hand, we are making a model of exceptional detail, here, and what's the point of going to that effort, if one isn't going to show it to best advantage? I agree with the 100% lid-lift for the sake of aesthetics, and the added benefit that I (personally) won't have to paint the unseen side of the port lid :D

Last edited:
I really laughed at your note to younger self!! This is all so true, in so many ways ROTFROTFROTF

And, I can really relate to the CA allergy - that stuff is TOXIC. Definitely feel it in my head, if I don't ventilate properly. I will continue catching up, but will take a break for a minute.

Back