VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

It's my pleasure to introduce my version of the famous Swedish VASA warship. I invite all to join in on this my second major build. My wife's mother was from Sweden and her dad was from Denmark. A few years ago she had the opportunity to visit relatives in Sweden and visited the VASA museum . So she insisted that this ship be my next build. I had intended to take a longer break from ship building (see HMS Fly) however I kept finding myself slowly unpacking and looking /working well you know building on it, so my break lasted all of 10 days. I'll start with unpacking the box and go from there

I had purchased several after market parts sheeve blocks, deck grating. I'll be buying aftermarket rope line as well.
I know all the external figures are plastic which I'm not too happy about but I will be painting them so should not diminish from the end product.
Hope you all enjoy the introduction and following this will be laying of the keel.
Happy modeling!!
Hallo @Daniel20
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Salut Daniel,

Comme vous et Paul (Dockattner), étiez mes "maîtres charpentiers" pour la création de mon Wasa, il me semblait normal de vous présenter la naissance d'un nouveau Wasa, issu de la série Billings Boat 490, débuté il y a 43 ans. A cette époque, les couleurs officielles choisies étaient différentes de celles d’aujourd’hui. Partie arrière à dominante bleue. Je les ai gardés.

Cette première construction en bois a été pour moi source de grandes solitudes mais aussi de grands plaisirs, à tel point que je me demande si je n'ai pas attrapé le virus…

Voici quelques photos de mon « bébé ». Et comme disais Paul : à quand un musée virtuel de présentation de tous les Wasa du site....

Encore merci à vous !

Hi Daniel,

As you and Paul (Dockattner), were my "master carpenters" for the creation of my Wasa, it seemed normal to me to present to you the birth of a new Wasa, from the Billings Boat 490 series, started 43 years ago . At that time, the official colors chosen were different from those of today. Rear part predominantly blue. I kept them.

This first wooden construction was for me a source of great solitude but also of great pleasure, so much so that I wonder if I haven't caught the virus...

Here are some photos of my “baby”. And as Paul said: when will there be a virtual museum presenting all the Wasa on the site....

Again thanks to you !

IMG_6054.jpeg

IMG_5756.jpeg

IMG_5991.jpeg

20240219_101433.jpg

IMG_5967.jpeg

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg

IMG_6049.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Salut Daniel,

Comme vous et Paul (Dockattner), étiez mes "maîtres charpentiers" pour la création de mon Wasa, il me semblait normal de vous présenter la naissance d'un nouveau Wasa, issu de la série Billings Boat 490, débuté il y a 43 ans. A cette époque, les couleurs officielles choisies étaient différentes de celles d’aujourd’hui. Partie arrière à dominante bleue. Je les ai gardés.

Cette première construction en bois a été pour moi source de grandes solitudes mais aussi de grands plaisirs, à tel point que je me demande si je n'ai pas attrapé le virus…

Voici quelques photos de mon « bébé ». Et comme disais Paul : à quand un musée virtuel de présentation de tous les Wasa du site....

Encore merci à vous !

Hi Daniel,

As you and Paul (Dockattner), were my "master carpenters" for the creation of my Wasa, it seemed normal to me to present to you the birth of a new Wasa, from the Billings Boat 490 series, started 43 years ago . At that time, the official colors chosen were different from those of today. Rear part predominantly blue. I kept them.

This first wooden construction was for me a source of great solitude but also of great pleasure, so much so that I wonder if I haven't caught the virus...

Here are some photos of my “baby”. And as Paul said: when will there be a virtual museum presenting all the Wasa on the site....

Again thanks to you !

View attachment 429685

View attachment 429686

View attachment 429687

View attachment 429688

View attachment 429689

View attachment 429690

View attachment 429691

View attachment 429692

View attachment 429693

View attachment 429694

View attachment 429695

View attachment 429696
Jefbriere, you have created a fantastic rendition of the wonderful Wasa. I am always fascinated and amazed when I hear of these kits being around all those years ago. I am honored and humbled that you took the time to visit my build. Thank you.

Salut Daniel,

Encore merci à vous !

Hi Daniel,

Again thanks to you !

View attachment 429685

View attachment 429686

View attachment 429687

View attachment 429688

View attachment 429689

View attachment 429690

View attachment 429691

View attachment 429692

View attachment 429693

View attachment 429694

View attachment 429695

View attachment 429696
Splendide, felicitations

Magnifique Jef!!! I agree.

Happy birthday Daniel.

A wonderful effort with many, many hours of detailed work. The little extra details you have added makes the difference and I especially like the sailors.

How do you intend to display your masterpiece? Love the base timber but is it contained in a case?

Regards
PeterG

Wow! A lot of difficult detail work has gone into this, well done!

Fred
Jefbriere, you have created a fantastic rendition of the wonderful Wasa. I am always fascinated and amazed when I hear of these kits being around all those years ago. I am honored and humbled that you took the time to visit my build. Thank you.
Jeffbrière, you have created a fantastic interpretation of the wonderful Wasa. I'm always fascinated and amazed when I hear about these kits that existed all those years ago. I am honored and touched that you took the time to tour my construction. THANKS.

Wow Wow Wow! This is a very nice result! Congratulations from my side too! Display it with pride!

It is I who once again thank you for sharing your research and your work. As Paul says, I proudly displayed it in the middle of the living room, not sure that the Admiral will accept that it remains permanently in this place.... For the moment, it lights up even at the end evening because I integrated lighting in the captain's cabin and in the floor lamp.

IMG_6133.jpeg

Back