Victory 1737 - 1:84 scale

So I sincerely wish you good luck and take your time to do well. The construction time is of no importance on this type of ship if you want the result to be good. ;)

Ekis, I just saw your log for the first time this afternoon. Incredible work. I can't believe that what you started with is the same AL Victory kit I'm working on. Your craftmanship is inspiring. I also love the detail and the quality of all the photos that you've taken. They will be a reference for me time and time again in the coming years (I'm guessing 2-3 years for me to get her rigged).

So I sincerely wish you good luck and take your time to do well. The construction time is of no importance on this type of ship if you want the result to be good. ;)

I completely agree about time not being important in an endeavor such as this. It has really been a personal journey for me to figure out my own set of customizations that I'm putting into my build. So, the time it takes will be the time it takes.

Hi Ekis,

I just finished going through your build log. It took my time, 3 days in order to take it all in. What can I say, some people have that skill, which I'm sure, partially comes from the love of the hobby and nautical history.

I do have a specific question for you. I loved the scrolled railings that are all about the ship. They add a specific "personality" to the ship. Did you fabricate these or purchase from a fittings supplier? I doubt they came with the kit, but I could be wrong.

Thanks and congratulations on a most wonderful beauty!

3rd deck finished.
The guns are rigged in combat or not according to the edge, the elements of decoration in place (balls, barrels, crates, various ropes, etc ...), the columns intended to receive the leases under the boats, the kitchen with its roof copper and chimney, ladders and stairs.

I will be able to attack the 4th deck ... it will go in the personal creation !!

Ekis,
Although I'm in the middle of reading the blog and perusing the amazing pictures From the building process of the ship, I did not hold back and it is important to tell you that the abilities you demonstrate are simply extraordinary.:)

Wow ! Huge thanx Shota !
2923955239.gif
2923955239.gif

Thanx Hoss !
You're right, the metal balustrades aren't with the original kit.
The decorations come from Amati's Decorating Rods store.
Sorry, to show I can only find one site fr :
https://www.cap-maquettes.com/Bordures-decoratives-maquettes-bateaux.html

The deck railings were on eBay and are usually used for curtain decals and trimmings. :)
Thanks for the fast response Ekis.

I was able to find some interesting scroll-worked balustrades I may use in the future, just not the pattern you used. I guess that one was liked by many others than myself. ROTF

I have learned much on this my very first model project. I was just going to build the Santisima Trinidad out of the box, following OcCre's instructions. The biggest thing I've learned so far is that I have certain standards, that when not met by the kit manufacturer, I must change. Most of the things that bother me is when fittings and other part are not to scale. I mean if the ST was scaled to the double blocks that came with the kit, it would be 450 feet long. o_O

I've learned so much on this very first project from everyone here at SoS and reading volumes of history to get my questions answered. I think what I've learned from you and your version of the Victory is that there is some latitude for creativity as long as you adhere to the periods standard for ship building.

Thanks again for sharing your build. It has made an impression on me for sure.

Cheers!
Ken

Last edited:
You're right! ;)
Starting from the 1765 HMS Victory kit, I could not claim to make a really totally exact replica of the 1737 HMS Victory...
But in order to stay in the spirit of this ship, and also to include some whims that I wanted to show on this model, I respected all the construction and colour codes of the 18th and I tried to be as faithful as possible to these sailing ships...
I also replaced everything that didn't look good in the kit!

why would anyone spend this kind of money for a piece of shit
Ken, please consider being more polite and respectful. Also, it doesn't matter what kit manufacturer you will spend your money on, what matters is what you can build out of it!!

What a magnificent build! One of the best I have seen, you’re craftsmanship is excellent and your creativity is inspiring! Hope to see another build by you soon.

Back