Viking Ship Drakkar - 1:50 scale by Amati

While waiting for additional rigging parts for my Mayflower build I opened the box for the Amati Viking longship. I have seen a couple of builds of Viking long ships and they are an interesting change of pace. Well once I opened the box I got sucked in a bit and after reading through the brief instructions worked on the keel and bulkheads. A couple of pics attached. I’ll work on the build as an interlude from the Mayflower. 331E4CE1-2CE8-426A-AB44-F17759868779.jpeg6E53CEC0-BEDD-4DB9-B340-C9330653F684.jpeg

...LEGO is everywhere, the use of it - obvious! This time to make sure the bulkheads are 90* to the false kill. Great idea. Taking a chair and will watch your build,

That statement in the box: Museum quality kit, must not be taken literally :p but it can be turned into a decent model if you are ready for a lot of work...

Here is mine, after a LOT of modifications:

View attachment 110516View attachment 110517
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful detailing work throughout. You really added quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful detailing work throughout. You really added quite a bit.

Yes I added a lot of details, I used almost only the keel, bulkheads and planks. But it was a hell of a fun. My fisrt ship build ever and the one I like mosr yet. It teached me to work with hard woods, since till then I used mainly balsa in my planes.

Regards and have fun with your building

JL

I finished adding the false deck and then doing the planking. I followed the plan of offsetting planks. Also drilled all holes for the oars and shrouds. I plan to share the sail down on this model so oars will be stacked in the racks. Working on trestles now. I plan to stain the deck, still deciding on stain. CBCEF21D-3550-4B5F-A744-9E1D7BB85738.jpeg6F95F866-0EE5-4CDD-A82C-A1F6474223AE.jpeg64399D9B-BFB0-437A-B2D3-228DD064C572.jpeg

Maybe this helps too:

Regards

JL
Thank you for referring me to this prior post. These pics are very helpful and educational. I have some renewed confidence in some of the choices I have been making regarding this project. I also have the National Geographic publication on Vikings that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning about their history and culture.

There is also this post, maybe it helps:

JL

I decided to get started on the mast, yard and swinging booms. 1ECEDC35-5303-48E7-9B39-A9D239D95EB7.jpeg
Next I worked on the deck accessories - bucket and anchor supplied with kit will be used. I didn’t like the one chest supplied so I made several of my own. I’m not sure how many I will display on the deck but I have plenty. The chests served two purposes one to hold each crew members belongings and supplies and the second as the seat from which they would sit and row when the oars were being used. I also made up and test fitted the rudder. F806ECCE-5922-4A1D-8784-F5920D348BF2.jpeg
Lastly I decided to show the shields on the side of the ship and so I painted the fronts in two designs, a red and white and a black and yellow. All were hand painted so a little wobbly on lines. There is apparently great debate on whether or not Vikings displayed their shields on the sides of the ships. Given the state of the ships as they have been unearthed it’s not clear. There are theories on both. Some say no way they were displayed others believe they were used for defensive purposes to protect the crew from incoming arrows and such while rowing. I am going with the second theory purely out of builder preference. 21A08E8F-E079-4E7D-8003-5C7861BBF006.jpeg

I spent the past weekend and last few days working on the sail, fabricating, painting, adding the blocks and parrel, attaching the sail to the yard and yard to mast. Then added the 5 shroud lines to the mast. It’s now set to set on the ship and add rigging. With all my additional parts for the Mayflower now in hand coming to the end of this relatively quick build is at about the right time. After rigging is complete assembling the oars is last major step. FA60B326-3F58-40EE-BDA8-277705C83A40.jpeg

I like your sail (my taste)
Will you weathering it a bit
A discreet application can easily done with pastel chalk color a light grey for example
But not really necessary in fact I like it the way you have done it

The admiral has suggested the weathering as well. I am still debating it a bit. Weathering would add a more gritty/well used look to the sail. I generally like this look better. Leaving alone is a bit bright but it presents a nice contrast to the darker stain on the ship and tends to darken the sail a little. I’m going to think on it for a bit.

I decided to leave the sail as is and not add any weathering. The rest of this week has been spent on making the oars. There are 14 on each side and while they will only be shown in the oar racks I figured if I ever wanted to change the display I would have them. The pic is of the first 14. They are all in various lengths to fit where they would be used on the ship. Sorry for the messy pic. CFF229D6-5E5D-4257-A203-06BCCCE8B9CC.jpeg

Back