VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Oh my God. Stephan, it looks beautiful. I am happy that you stayed true to the replica. That dark green makes all the other colors come to life.

Raymond

Thank you all for the likes and the beautiful replies. They are a warm welcome.

Still changing the stern. Now I'm changing the top of the stern.
In the Dutch Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam there is a very old model of the Prins Willem
You can have a very detailed look of it here: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/mijn/...m/scheepen-en-wapens/objecten#/NG-NM-11911,23

The stern look like this:
s_ng_nm_11911_06.jpg(mediaclass-gift_detail_image.934edca9bf4d65a804440763f9b86b64db128c74).jpg

The top of the stern on my model looks like this:
IMG_1366.JPG

So I started with a piece of cherrywood to make the top looks like the museummodel. In the book of Herman Ketting there are detailed drawings of this stern I'm using for this.
IMG_1370.JPGIMG_1371.JPGIMG_1372.JPG

Cherrywood is more difficult to model than boxwood. So I use most of the time my dremel and tungsten cutters I got from Aliexpress, works well.

Hello Stephan,
I am quite pleased that you are taking the extra effort to make this a remarkable build. It is the little details that make a good model become an extraordinary model. Please continue to look for the next area that you can improve on.

Raymond

The "Fortuining" was blue, not my taste so I cleaned it and gave it a green color. This is flat green from Vallejo, a little lighter than terra green.
View attachment 207501

The fishes on the side I made of Fimo Clay (Polymer clay), that was a lot of work because I'm not experienced in working with clay. I made them step by step and baked them several times before they where completed.

View attachment 207503View attachment 207504

The little man on the side of the stern was made very simpel, I decided to make hem more accurate and on one side make a complete new one. I used boxwood and dremel and small sisal.

View attachment 207507View attachment 207505View attachment 207506View attachment 207508View attachment 207509View attachment 207510View attachment 207511View attachment 207512

Then I painted them And placed them on the ship

View attachment 207513View attachment 207514

In the next post I constructed the "Wulf" (the part below the stern)

If it is the first time you sculpted.....well my friend ...you are a ship modeler and also a SCULPTOR.

Something different to do. The gun ports. Later on I go further with the stern. But sometimes you need to to something else to keep the pleasure in doing things.
I got pear wood that comes near to the colour of the hull planks. I think in time the colours will come close to each other.
The inside of the port is nut, the outside is pear. The hinges are made from veneer (swamp walnut) which is very dark (like aubergine brown)

The first 8 of 28 ports are ready

IMG_1383.JPGIMG_1385.JPGIMG_1386.JPG

In scale 1/75 you can hardly see the difference between blackened brass or black wood.

Something different to do. The gun ports. Later on I go further with the stern. But sometimes you need to to something else to keep the pleasure in doing things.
I got pear wood that comes near to the colour of the hull planks. I think in time the colours will come close to each other.
The inside of the port is nut, the outside is pear. The hinges are made from veneer (swamp walnut) which is very dark (like aubergine brown)

The first 8 of 28 ports are ready

View attachment 215864View attachment 215865View attachment 215866

In scale 1/75 you can hardly see the difference between blackened brass or black wood.

Outstanding work. I just love every picture you post on this model.

Thanks again for all the likes and compliment from Bluebeard :)
I cleaned up my workspace and sorted al the screws, bolts, nails etc that I had in different boxes, glasses or bags to a rack with draws. That was a nerdy job.
And today I fixed the other side and mounted the gun ports
IMG_1390.JPG

Everybody thanks for the likes.
Today I finished another piece of the stern. There a two of them and this is the first one.

first 2 pieces of boxwood and a print of the ornament. Difficult I only got the side looks

IMG_1392.JPGIMG_1393.JPG

with carbon paper I transfer the paint to the wood. And sand the rough form in the piece of wood.

IMG_1394.JPGIMG_1395.JPG

After that I start using the cutters to get the shape. Sometimes I use a knife or chisel.

IMG_1396.JPGIMG_1397.JPGIMG_1398.JPGIMG_1399.JPG

And than after many hours it is ready, just one to go.

IMG_1402.JPGIMG_1404.JPGIMG_1405.JPGIMG_1403.JPG

Hello Stephan,
Everytime you construct a new piece you get better at carving. I believe that when you complete this ship you'll be one step closer to Janos.

Raymond

Your carving is getting better every time. Very nice work.
I love to do this also gives you the feeling you are really creating something special, a work of art.

Back