VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Hello Stephan,
Everytime you construct a new piece you get better at carving. I believe that when you complete this ship you'll be one step closer to Janos.

Raymond
That's is a very big compliment. I seen the work of Janos. Thanks Raymond

Your carving is getting better every time. Very nice work.
I love to do this also gives you the feeling you are really creating something special, a work of art.
Thanks Maarten, I allmost walk next to my shoes :) (only the Dutch understand this)

Excellent craftsmanship, I love it.
What rotary tool do you use for the carvings?
Thanks!
I use a Dremel with flexible shaft. And use these cutters

rough shaping: Link
Fine work: Link tiny or 0,9 or less mm, Link 10PCS degree10X0.1mm
Polishing: Link gray P1000
Cutting: Link

These work the best with boxwood. First I use rough shaping the form, then I go with the 10PCS degree10X0.1mm the form.
And the other fine work to get the shape.

After that I polish the wood with the gray dots. The chisel I use to get extra form or as scraper.

But everything depends on the ornament if I use a lot the Dremel or a lot the chisel. For this piece (very small) I use the Dremel a lot.

When you use the Dremel, just let it kiss the wood, don't use to much pressure. Let the speed do the work. When you push to hard the risk of scratching the wood is great. Pieces can come of.

And the last tool you use is patience, a lot of it. Don't go to fast. The shape of you're figure will come in time.

This is how I experience woodcarving. And how I do it. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
I use a Dremel with flexible shaft. And use these cutters

rough shaping: Link
Fine work: Link tiny or 0,9 or less mm, Link 10PCS degree10X0.1mm
Polishing: Link gray P1000
Cutting: Link

These work the best with boxwood. First I use rough shaping the form, then I go with the 10PCS degree10X0.1mm the form.
And the other fine work to get the shape.

After that I polish the wood with the gray dots. The chisel I use to get extra form or as scraper.

But everything depends on the ornament if I use a lot the Dremel or a lot the chisel. For this piece (very small) I use the Dremel a lot.

When you use the Dremel, just let it kiss the wood, don't use to much pressure. Let the speed do the work. When you push to hard the risk of scratching the wood is great. Pieces can come of.

And the last tool you use is patience, a lot of it. Don't go to fast. The shape of you're figure will come in time.

This is how I experience woodcarving. And how I do it. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot for the info.
I have been trying to start carving myself.
For starters I’m making the base of my Ragusian Cog.
I will look something like this.
753CBC30-5B9A-46AA-9941-7B9033CC7EFE.jpeg0784A76E-516E-4C71-ADA8-3618D3935DC8.jpeg
Your information gave me a new view on how I will embrace this task.

Last update a little while ago. Just did a lot of reading and looking for a new machine to make ornaments. The dremel with flexible shaft is not good for my hands. arthrosis is a bitch sometimes. But the last 2 days it went well

This is the machine I bought incl. a upgrade that I also can use 3,175 and 2,35 cutters. Normal the machine only can hold 2,35 cutters.

202 black.jpg202 bit.jpg

Back to the ship. The ornaments on the side are ready to get painted. (dryfit)

IMG_1415.JPGIMG_1416.JPGIMG_1417.JPGIMG_1418.JPGIMG_1414.JPGIMG_1413.JPGIMG_1412a.jpg

Is all MARVELOUS.
You push me to try out carving and soon will be posting what I have done.
But definitely I need a tool like this one.
After I fell confortable enough doing it by hand, then I’ll jump to the machine.

Is all MARVELOUS.
You push me to try out carving and soon will be posting what I have done.
But definitely I need a tool like this one.
After I fell confortable enough doing it by hand, then I’ll jump to the machine.
Thanks Bluebeard, the only thing I can say is: Do it, its so much fun to do. But start small for example just a curl or a shield with a cross inside. I started with these things.

Today I made a start on a 32 feet chaloup scale 1/75 makes 120 mm. I got the plans from @Heinrich , who get them from @Ab Hoving . These plans I will use. And this is new for me to use plans for such a boat. Before I made them free hand. No plans. Just a piece of balsawood and then make a boat.

IMG_0046.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0124.JPGIMG_0126.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0137.JPGIMG_0139.JPG

I started with the keel. the wood is oak. the first photo is a little bit blurred, sorry about that.

IMG_1425.JPGIMG_1426.JPG

I make the rudder in this stage, everything is flat, so easier to do.

IMG_1427.JPG

now I gonna make a building slope to put the keel on

Small update But a lot of work

Not a building slope, changed plans

All pieces are made of oak. It's difficult to create these small parts. I take a deep bow foor those who making ships in scale 1/196 or smaller.
Now I'm going to make pieces where the little frames come up so I can fix them to a underground upside down Like the ship of Oleg
It's just a try.
IMG_1428.JPGIMG_1430.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

I hope it works out :D

Little update, started planking with steamed pear wood. It's a hell of a job, just one plank in a time 2 maybe 3 in a day. The glue must be hardened.
So in the meantime I cleaned the coffeemachine, the fishtank got a big cleaning round, hang up some lamps in the hallway and fixed a lot of other stuff in the house. The director is pleased. :)

IMG_1448.JPGIMG_1449.JPGIMG_1452.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1455.JPG

Back