VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Hi Stephan,

This element is called shroud truck

View attachment 225942

It's used to arrange running rigging in order to relevant belaying pin.
For example: buntline, leechline or brace.

Look at rope no 84 or 104.

Please have a look also on below photos from Batavia plans from Batavia Werf.

View attachment 225943
View attachment 225944

I hope it's clear now ;)

Not sure why it's on all shrouds... but in Batavia plans not all of them are in use... or just rope in not on the drawing.
Every day something to learn....... many thanks to Mati

blocks1.jpg

Steef, they came out nicely.
Do you have kids?
Well, you can tell them now: “You see those little round things with three holes....I made those”. LOL
Besides that funny quote, there is this personal feeling of admiration about our models when we finish them.
I have three models moored over my house and every time I pass by them, I stop and look at the details and I never get tired of looking at them.
Doesn’t that happens to all of us?

Well Steef, thanks anyway for inviting us into your workshop and letting us see your model ship making qualities.

Well Steef, thanks anyway for inviting us into your workshop and letting us see your model ship making qualities.
you're welcome. I like to share the things I do. And still learning and approve myself. And I like to make everything by myself. I could ordered these deadeyes by a shop where I still have credit. But this is more fun.

You took the words about of my mouth.
Why not buy the deadeyes?
But out of respect I didn’t ask.
The more we can do ourself the more satisfactory it is.
Again.....you can tell everyone.... “You see those little round things with three holes....I made those”.

Making rope for the shrouds and stays of the below masts
IMG_1545.JPGIMG_1546.JPG

for the lanyard I use darker brown. I started elsewhere with black rope so I continued this. But the next ship I try the bitumen and other colours for the rope like Mat, I love his way of rope making.

Maybe someone can help :)

I quit after these 3 blocks, in anothor forum sombody gave me some positiv criticism. The holes are not in the correct place in particular the small one. And I don"t like the shape. The smal disk is in my eyes to smal. I think I will start over. What do you think guys?

Started all over again.
The first blocks I made are more like the block they come on the lift of the yards.
The new one
IMG_1567.JPGIMG_1568.JPGIMG_1570.JPGIMG_1571.JPG

Please give me criticism when I make such blocks in the first place who look more like a willy then a block to hoist heavy stuff ROTF

Started all over again.
The first blocks I made are more like the block they come on the lift of the yards.
The new one
View attachment 228522View attachment 228523View attachment 228524View attachment 228525

Please give me criticism when I make such blocks in the first place who look more like a willy then a block to hoist heavy stuff ROTF
Stephan,

I just now found your build log. Wow! A lot of times we see builders with talent in structural fabrication or artistic/carving. It is rare, although there are other SoS members who can do this, but you have both!

I always appreciate it when I see builders creatively finding solutions to problems. It seems you embrace problems and their solutions, Bravo! I was also impressed with the uniformity you were able to achieve with your deadeyes, simply by applying different size cutting tools freely on a tool rest. Seeing you achieve this has now empowered me to attempt the same. Thank you.Thumbsup

Now I must say I AM SHOCKED! How in the world, in 1651 can those cute cherub/angles not be wearing diapers!!ROTF

@Hoss6262 thank you for these beautifull and kind words. It makes me almost blush.
This will encourages me to keep on building and sharing what I do.
I'm an absolute beginner in modeling. 2 years ago I never did anything in mondeling. Back in the nineties I did a little painting. After that real live started and I was always working. A lot. Till 2½ years ago. My company ended, and I got unemployed. Now I needed to do something and started my first build. And this is my third. Yes, you can say I'm addicted.

Back