Discussion What are the Rotary tools in your tools chest?

THANKS STEPHAN DOES AMAZON CARRY THIS ALSO. BOY THE PRICE IS GOOD $17.00 PLUS SHIPPING AND YO SAY IT DOES THE JOB COMPARED TO FOREDOM $1,000 PLUS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Your welcome. The foredom is much powerfull, but for wood and small things perfect

I want one with a chuck (for convenient drill changes) that will hold in the no. 60-80 drill size and be powerful enough to actually drill holes of this size. I'm not too concerned about whether it has a cord or not. Of course, I would like it to be cheap but that's negotiable :)
Any recommendations?
Hi Don, I will start replying to your last sentence first. I might disappoint you, but usually, the cheap will not be good. Obviously, we all have various definitions of 'good', but...as my father said "I am not rich enough to buy cheap". At the same time, the most expensive doesn't guarantee quality.

If you look at the beginning of this thread, I posted the tools I am using, one of the rotary tools (the first one from the bottom) similar to what you may need. I Don't find a good use for it, but this is my own experience. It does have a keyless chuck, but it doesn't have variable speed control. Also, it is luck a good torque, but I think all cordless don't.

I'm going with my wife the next time she get's her nails done. I'm going to talk with the woman who has been doing them for years. She'll be happy to put me in touch with the people who they get their supplies from. Thank you Stephan.

Never neglect the electric toothbrush with a hook and loop pad glued on instead of the bristles and a hook and loop piece of sandpaper of your choice. Great for fine work in enclosed spaces.

IMG_20221129_150054485.jpg

Also in Australia we have cheap Ozito tools which generally have a 3 year warranty. I use this one for rough work to save my Dremels for finer jobs. Has a flexible shaft - not as good as Dremel one - but functional. Available for AU$40.

IMG_20221129_150204589.jpg

IMG_20221129_150336696.jpg

Then there is the Makita cordless drill, two Dremels and mini drill press.

Never neglect the electric toothbrush with a hook and loop pad glued on instead of the bristles and a hook and loop piece of sandpaper of your choice. Great for fine work in enclosed spaces.

View attachment 343078

Also in Australia we have cheap Ozito tools which generally have a 3 year warranty. I use this one for rough work to save my Dremels for finer jobs. Has a flexible shaft - not as good as Dremel one - but functional. Available for AU$40.

View attachment 343079

View attachment 343080

Then there is the Makita cordless drill, two Dremels and mini drill press.
The electric toothbrush! THAT is thinking outside the box! I salute your cleverness, @Masters Mate.

My little lot> All of which have been purchased since the start of my second build (La Pinta). Dremel 4300 - Fuller 3 speed USB rotary tool, very nice for easy sanding and drilling holes. Low torque but does the small stuff. - Duratech rotary, one speed only (12000rpm) nice machine, easy handling but in saying that I've only ever drilled holes with it. Between the 3 there are innumerable accessories which perhaps one day I'll get to use. My preferences currently are the Scalpel, Stanley knife rasp/file and sanding block. "I have much to learn huh! ---- Simply love the idea of the electric tooth bush. Family have now been given standing orders to not dispose of used electric tooth bush heads but surrender them to moi :)

This post has been very informative, constructive and augers well for future purchases when necessary. Thank you Jimsky for initiating this post and all that contributed. Cheers

Rotary Tools.png

Hi Don, I will start replying to your last sentence first. I might disappoint you, but usually, the cheap will not be good. Obviously, we all have various definitions of 'good', but...as my father said "I am not rich enough to buy cheap". At the same time, the most expensive doesn't guarantee quality.

If you look at the beginning of this thread, I posted the tools I am using, one of the rotary tools (the first one from the bottom) similar to what you may need. I Don't find a good use for it, but this is my own experience. It does have a keyless chuck, but it doesn't have variable speed control. Also, it is luck a good torque, but I think all cordless don't.
Thanks Jim, I only mentioned cheap because every once in a while people find one of these cheap tools that works just fine. I have a Dremel and a Dremel clone that both work fine. The main thing I find annoying is the collets. Dremel offers a chuck but it says that it only closes down to 1/32". Actually they all seem to have a 1/32" minimum. Has anyone seen one that closes down to a no.80 drill?

Thanks Jim, I only mentioned cheap because every once in a while people find one of these cheap tools that works just fine. I have a Dremel and a Dremel clone that both work fine. The main thing I find annoying is the collets. Dremel offers a chuck but it says that it only closes down to 1/32". Actually they all seem to have a 1/32" minimum. Has anyone seen one that closes down to a no.80 drill?
you can buy an adapter for very small drill bits. But it will have its own cons and pros. Another solution, I still use often times if you roll the thin brass\copper wire around the drill bit body. Works like a charm!

I'm still wondering which battery powered is the right one...mean Proxxon
Proxxon has the entire lineup of battery (cordless) operated tools. One of them is the rotary tool. I have no experience with cordless Proxxon tools. I would be interested to know if anyone uses one.

Proxxon has the entire lineup of battery (cordless) operated tools. One of them is the rotary tool. I have no experience with cordless Proxxon tools. I would be interested to know if anyone uses one.
I have this and I'm quite happy with it. It works very well and consider that you can find belts at a good value it is a really useful tool

I couldn't help myself.
IMG_0578.JPGIs a closeout at Menards for $23.99. Plus, I had some rebate coupons to spend too.
Quite small, 4.8V, not real powerfull but has a slow low of 6500 rpm, speed maybe good for drilling, and a high speed of 15000 rpm works well for sanding disks or drums on wood. Too fast for plastic.

In my previous posting (#57) I stated The Micromotor unit from Foredom had an "Extended lead-time" In a call to them they stated that they were waiting on parts for the handpiece, and it would be probably January before they would receive the parts.
I wanted to order it from Foredom directly however, didn't want to wait so I found a supplier through, you guessed it, Amazon.
I received the Micromotor yesterday and took it for a test run this morning. OMG, am I impressed with this unit.
Unless you are actually cutting/carving something you cannot hear it run even at 50K rpm. The only noise generated is from the burr cutting wood.
Also, as the motor is contained in the handpiece there is no flex shaft running from the unit to the handpiece. There is only a VERY flexible cord. This makes for extreme finesse when carving.
My first project will be the ships boats for the Constitution I am starting to build. The boats are constructed with layers which require carving. Not the most ideal way IMO to build a small boat and, of course there are four to build. This should give me a good test of the Foredom unit.

The four ships boats
04_Glue ups.jpg

The Micromotor Unit
Micromotor.jpg

Back